PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about planning...

Minstrel
16-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Do you have planning for all 7 areas of the EYFS covered every week (over 3's)?

I don't. I usually have 4/5/6 but I'm wondering if I should/must have all 7 covered.

Thanks.

phoenix2010
16-02-2013, 08:50 PM
yes but not in great depth , but i do try to touch on all of them

i use things like baking as this can cover all the areas

Minstrel
16-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Thank you.

A follow up Q if I may...

For an under 3 (he's only just turned 1 actually) I am just covering the 3 prime areas, is that ok? The other 4 (specific areas) are just for the over 3's if I understand correctly. I'm worried that I think I understand it when in fact I don't!

loocyloo
16-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Thank you.

A follow up Q if I may...

For an under 3 (he's only just turned 1 actually) I am just covering the 3 prime areas, is that ok? The other 4 (specific areas) are just for the over 3's if I understand correctly. I'm worried that I think I understand it when in fact I don't!

thats my understanding too! you may touch on the other areas as you do activities, but they are not areas you need to focus on.

Minstrel
16-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Thank you! I'm trying to improve my planning work in line with the new EYFS and I'm not sure it's going very well. Changing too much at once maybe? I feel new at childminding again!

blue bear
16-02-2013, 09:50 PM
From my planning I've created a grid, days of the week down the side and areas of learning across the top.
When I do an obs I put the next step onto the grid and put child's initialnext to it,I also do this for a child's interest if not got a next step.
At the end of the day in a different coloured pen I write all the things we have done putting them in the relevant box to show area of learning with the child(ren) who joined in the activity initials.

I write comments all over the sheet,what went well, improvements for next time etc. by the end of the week it's very messy but it works for me.

I decided to simplify my paperwork and at the moment this is working well for me.

chezzagriff
16-02-2013, 11:47 PM
I focus on the 3 main areas but try to incorporate the other areas in the activities.

sarah707
17-02-2013, 07:08 AM
We are told that the 3 prime areas of learning are the most important for every child until they are established.

This does not mean we ignore the specific areas... more that, in the early years, we consider how the specific areas are supporting the child to learn and develop in the prime areas.

So if a child is singing with his friends, we know that music and rhyme links to 'art and design' - a specific area.

However, we focus on him joining in (psed), making friends (psed), moving to the music (pd), developing rhythm (A&d / also maths), learning new words (c & d) etc.

If a child is doing a painting or some mark making, we know that both skills are supporting his creative development (a & D).

However, we focus on mark making with different media and developing fine motor skills (pd), sharing the resources (psed), talking about what he can do (C & L) etc.

Does that make sense? :D

MessybutHappy
17-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I love this summary, thank you (again) Sarah!

Minstrel
17-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Thank you (again!)

Yes I guess this is what I do.

Same/similar activities so the little one still does singing, dancing, painting etc but using those experiences to develop different areas of the EYFS.

I'm just starting to find its all getting a bit long winded :panic:

Minstrel
17-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I just wanted to add that I do 'get it' all in my head and my planning is fab up there, but putting it all down on paper to 'prove' it seems to water it down and makes me feel like I'm not showing my full potential. So much of my planning is done on the spur of the moment, especially for the baby, but it just doesn't get written down. I'm dreading my inspection because I think I'll be lucky to scrap a satisfactory. :(

sarah707
17-02-2013, 11:41 AM
I just wanted to add that I do 'get it' all in my head and my planning is fab up there, but putting it all down on paper to 'prove' it seems to water it down and makes me feel like I'm not showing my full potential. So much of my planning is done on the spur of the moment, especially for the baby, but it just doesn't get written down. I'm dreading my inspection because I think I'll be lucky to scrap a satisfactory. :(

Much of my planning is written as we go or retrospectively as well!!

Ofsted aren't generally that interested in huge amounts of written planning that is nor relevant to the children.

I have my daily plans mostly in my head... plus ideas about what crafts we will do in advance so I can make sure I have resources... and my continuous provision ready ... and of course our daily routine (outings, singing or reading session before school pick up, tidy up time, food etc).

What is more important is that you know exactly where each child is 'at'... you have individual plans / learning intentions to work on with them next... you are working alongside parents and other settings...

Have you seen my play plan here? http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/activity-ideas/112861-chinese-new-year-feb-week-1-planning.html

As I have explained in the blurb that comes with it, much of my planning is child led - you can't write that in advance!!

xx

Minstrel
17-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Yes I have just bought your planning e-book and using that alongside my new system which I've tried to keep simple. It is all starting to sink in. I don't know why I'm finding it so hard, maybe I'm trying to make it too difficult for myself.