PDA

View Full Version : Walking dog with double buggy

SammySplodger
15-02-2013, 05:27 PM
I have just had a 'dry run' walking along with my double buggy and our dog at the same time and it went ok!

But I thought it may be worth seeing if anyone else does this too? Any tips?

I have bought a buggy lock (loop of flexible metal which fits into a combination lock thingy) which is on the handlebar. So, for most of the walk the lead is just held by the lock and I have both hands on the buggy. At tricky bits: going in and out if house and if dog gets excited or spooked I grab hold of the lead to 'steer'.

For the most part she is a calm dog, but motorbikes and the occasional passing other dog freak her out (barking only).

Unfortunately I can't take her on school run as logistics to complicated and we (me and dog) get stressed out, so I'm trying to walk her after lunch with the Mindees instead.

littletreasures
15-02-2013, 05:54 PM
I regularly walk my 2 dogs with a double buggy.

I don't hook the leads on to the pushchair because I'm worried if the dogs suddenly ran they might pull the buggy over.

The buggy is very easy to steer one handed and I have the dogs walking together on the same side. They are very good. They have learnt not to get to close to the wheels though ;)

Going out of the house: kids go in the buggy first outside with brake on. I then put the dogs collars and leads on (which are kept in the porch).
Going in to the house: dogs go in first, remove collar and leads and send the dogs on to the beds in the dining room. I then get the kids out of the pushchair.

mushpea
15-02-2013, 06:07 PM
i walk the dog and kids together lol, I also dont tie the lead to the pram as being a labrador he's a big dog and when he pulls he would pull the pram over so I hold the lead and hold the pram with both hands with lead in hand although I can steer one handed if need be.

QualityCare
15-02-2013, 06:26 PM
I also walk 2 dogs with double buggy and do exactly the same as littletreasures, also would never hook the dog leads on the buggy even the calmest of dogs can be upset and spooked.

jayne
15-02-2013, 09:47 PM
I walk our golden lab with a double pushchair though it is a three wheeler and I find I can push this with one hand I too wouldn't tie the dog to the pushchair as he his very pussy and strong

Dragonfly
15-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I put my hand through the dog lead loop so if i need two hands i can.Use the double buggy also.Only go for walks with the dog and children I mean i wouldn't take the dog to school.

SammySplodger
15-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks!

By the way: my dog is very small (toy poodle Westie cross) and unlikely to pull the buggy over. :-) She had a bark at motorbike today and I just stopped and grabbed the lead. I can understand that this wouldn't work with a larger dog though.

The in and out of the house logistics are not easy - I'm in a town centre terrace, front door onto the (busy) street. So I kind of need to go out all safely attached. I think my dog will just have to get the hang of it and keep clear of the wheels.

SammySplodger
15-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Another question...

What do you do with the poop bag if you are a few minutes walk from a bin?!

Obviously you can't hang it on the buggy and I don't fancy putting it in my pocket! Any of you have one of those 'Dicky Bag' things? Do they attach to the dog?

Daisy De
16-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I regularly walk with a double buggy and two large Golden Retrievers, it works really well although I do get a lot of looks.

One of my dogs pulls like a train and I have tired Haltis, Gencons, Canny Collars none of which worked and she hated them. My dog training school sells an American brand called SENSE-ible, the lead is attached at the chest and I bought one through recommendation but didn't hold out much hope. I think you can buy them from ebay but not in normal shops at present or even by post from where I got mine.

Well from the first day she wore it, it was totally amazing, if she pulls it just brings her back towards me but she just doesn't pull and she doesn't seem aware she is wearing it like she was with the Halti type. It was the best dog related thing I ever bought. It definitely is the harness because if she is on a normal lead she goes straight back to pulling and I couldn't walk the two together let alone with a buggy.

I bought one for my other dog as well and now I can walk both of them anywhere and it looks like I have two very well-behaved dogs! They walk brilliantly with the double buggy, I am always getting comments on how good they are (if only people knew :panic:). Its great because the dogs like to be part of what we do and they love coming with us and the mindees love them being there too.

As for poo bags, I either attach it to the bottom of the buggy or round my wrist till we get to a poo bin, double wrap it for hygiene and smell if you like and I also carry some anti-bac hand lotion which I use after I have picked it up although of course you don't actually touch it I still like to use it.

As others have said I never attach the dogs leads to the buggy, because they don't pull I find I can hold the leads and push the buggy without problems. :thumbsup:

lynncjt
16-02-2013, 11:04 AM
I regularly walk with a double buggy and two large Golden Retrievers, it works really well although I do get a lot of looks.

One of my dogs pulls like a train and I have tired Haltis, Gencons, Canny Collars none of which worked and she hated them. My dog training school sells an American brand called SENSE-ible, the lead is attached at the chest and I bought one through recommendation but didn't hold out much hope. I think you can buy them from ebay but not in normal shops at present or even by post from where I got mine.

Well from the first day she wore it, it was totally amazing, if she pulls it just brings her back towards me but she just doesn't pull and she doesn't seem aware she is wearing it like she was with the Halti type. It was the best dog related thing I ever bought. It definitely is the harness because if she is on a normal lead she goes straight back to pulling and I couldn't walk the two together let alone with a buggy.

I bought one for my other dog as well and now I can walk both of them anywhere and it looks like I have two very well-behaved dogs! They walk brilliantly with the double buggy, I am always getting comments on how good they are (if only people knew :panic:). Its great because the dogs like to be part of what we do and they love coming with us and the mindees love them being there too.

A :thumbsup:

Is is like the Easy Walk Harness Premier Easy Walk Medium Harness, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Easy-Medium-Harness-Black/dp/B005HNPCY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361012400&sr=8-1)

I only have a cocker spaniel but she pulls when we first got out, did a Google search but can't find a UK supplier of SENSE-ible.

Daisy De
16-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Is is like the Easy Walk Harness Premier Easy Walk Medium Harness, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Easy-Medium-Harness-Black/dp/B005HNPCY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361012400&sr=8-1)

I only have a cocker spaniel but she pulls when we first got out, did a Google search but can't find a UK supplier of SENSE-ible.

Certainly looks similar and cheaper than the SENSE-ible although as my Dad used to say cheapest is not always best. :laughing: Can only really comment on the one I know but most reviews on this one seem positive. I think the SENSE-ible is the original so I guess there are always going to be copies.

Got mine from

Dog and Puppy Training in Swindon (http://www.janetspuppyskool.co.uk)

Take a look at this for comparison, the harness is on the home page right at the bottom. They have to have the right size and you need to measure your dog but I'm sure Janet would advise and give you some information and most probably post one to you.

I wouldn't be without mine.

lynncjt
16-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Certainly looks similar and cheaper than the SENSE-ible although as my Dad used to say cheapest is not always best. :laughing: Can only really comment on the one I know but most reviews on this one seem positive. I think the SENSE-ible is the original so I guess there are always going to be copies.

Got mine from

Dog and Puppy Training in Swindon (http://www.janetspuppyskool.co.uk)

Take a look at this for comparison, the harness is on the home page right at the bottom. They have to have the right size and you need to measure your dog but I'm sure Janet would advise and give you some information and most probably post one to you.

I wouldn't be without mine.

Thanks for this I'll contact her!