PDA

View Full Version : Anyone NOT do before and after school?

lisbet
15-02-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm just starting out and I was thinking of not offering before/after school care, just early years care between 7.30am -5.30pm because:

a) I'm new to childminding and I want to make sure I don't take on too much and compromise care
b) My 3 children (age 12, 9 and 6) will be adjusting to having mindees in their home and I want to be able to still be there for them as much as I can.

I'm signed up to do 1 enhanced provision placement which would probably be in school hours, which does mean that I *could* offer 1 early years before/after slot without adding to numbers.

Someone's just phoned asking for before/ after school for 1 infant school child and 1 nursery child and I explained I don't offer that at this time and now I feel mean :blush: and I'm also worried that I'm being unrealistic business wise?

Also don't want to get a bad reputation as inflexible...

What would you all advise?

ziggy
15-02-2013, 04:13 PM
I dont. I just find it isnt worth the hassle of doing school run in middle of afternoon while younger ones are resting. Financially it isnt worth it either.

I have one starting school in september and will do it for him as i will have his 2 younger brothers but wouldnt take it on otherwise.

Dont feel bad for refusing, it is your business and that is the good point of being self employed, being able to choose

moggy
15-02-2013, 04:14 PM
There are many of us who do not do before/after schoolies- there was a thread recently, maybe try a search. It has never caused me a problem in terms of business and makes my life more calm. I find children near my own children's ages are the hardest to have- arguing, fighting, too boisterous, just too 'big' to have too many in the house, harder to keep them downstairs as they want to go up to my children's rooms etc ! I love looking after just the little ones, I am am as full as I want to be, the parents valur the fact that it is not a crazy busy place here before/after school.

Little miss
15-02-2013, 04:19 PM
I am just starting out also, and intend to not offer before/after school care and concentrate on the little ones. My business my way!

Rick
15-02-2013, 04:25 PM
The only before and after schoolie I do is on a Friday. It works out to be of benefit to my other mindee because she lives near the school and can pick her up and drop off schoolie in the morning and vice versa in the evening. But as a general rule I don't do them because it interrupts activities and sleep time. I also haven't got a car so it's just more trouble than it's worth. It can be quite lucrative if you live near a school and can take several children at once.

lisbet
15-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Thank you everyone :) This forum is a godsend!

I'm walking my youngest 2 to school and back anyway, so if I have an early years child booked with me for the rest of the day I don't mind taking them to the preschool next door to the school for their free 3hrs session and doing the extra middle of the day run. It's just adding extra children after school that I'm not sure will work for my family, for now at least.

I forgot to do a search for this topic first - will do now. :thumbsup:

lizduncan72
15-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't do it either-have always found that the older kids are really hard work and are more likely to cause problems!! Much rather just stick to my littlies :)

eddie
15-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I have never done before or after school and have concentrated on the under 5's. To be honest I think some parents like the fact you don't do school runs (although I do for my own children) as I always explain this means less impact on the little ones from older more boisterous children.

ivy
15-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I do before and after school care as well as in between and it is a pain in the backside . I have the younger children all i na lovely routine but once the older ones come back all hell lets loose . It can be hard to say no especially if the afters have been children who i have normally looked after or if they have younger siblings still in my care .
For the amount of money it generates it is not worth the stress .

SammySplodger
15-02-2013, 05:18 PM
I have done in the past and have also found the schoolies cause more 'issues', especially if they are older than my own children.

But what I'm doing now is a minimum charge per day of £15 per child, which means that I'm more expensive than our before/after school club. Also, I have a more expensive rate from 7am to 9am. Hence, no takers! So now I don't have to say No to people all the time...
:-)

FussyElmo
15-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Just me who likes the after schoolies then :p:laughing:

angeldelight
15-02-2013, 05:26 PM
I have always done it for years and years and years

But for the last few months I have not :clapping::clapping:

I love it , our days are longer I do not get wet at school times

It is brilliant I never want to go back to them again

Angel xx

SammySplodger
15-02-2013, 05:34 PM
I used to be asked to do it a lot and I felt bad saying no all the time. Like Ivy, I found it not worth the money (stupidly, I was charging my usual hourly rate), my kids used to get upset, stuff in the house got damaged/broken, babies got woken up, some kids would eat and eat and eat... I just didn't enjoy it as much as the under 5s.

kellib
15-02-2013, 05:40 PM
I don't have any schoolies and I don't plan to take any on. I do school runs for my own son but not everyday as some days my grandad takes him to his after school activities.

Much prefer the little ones, they aren't as hard as older ones!

Ballette
15-02-2013, 05:44 PM
It's entirely your choice Lisbet. If you don't want to do before and after school care, say no! Once you have been working for a while, you may decide to try it but don't feel pressured as there are plenty of childminders who like to fill up on before and after schoolies! Each to their own I say ;)

catlyn
15-02-2013, 05:49 PM
I've got 2 after schoolies and tbh they are more bother than the littlies......much prefer my under 5's

loocyloo
15-02-2013, 05:53 PM
i have one before schoolie who is a friend of DS. he arrives, they play & then we go to school.

i have 3 after schoolies, all girls and all pretty much friends. i waited a year before taking on sibling schoolies as i wasn't sure how it would work, but its going great. ( i moved coming up 2 yrs ago and didn't mind for 6 months or so. all my previous schoolies had been with me since before going to school, or i knew them well, and despite having lots of schoolies, they were one big happy family and had all been with me years! ) at the moment, i check with my own children if they know possible schoolies, and how they would feel if they came. if they were not happy about it, then i wouldn't take them on. currently i am doing school runs for my own children, so it doesn't alter my day to collect any others, plus they all play well together and the LOs love having the schoolies to entertain them! my schoolies are all term time only.

i have a holiday only who is the older sibling of a LO i mind. he gets on really well with my children and as a foursome are great that i actively don't have others one of the days i have them! we can go and have great adventures!

Maza
15-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I don't. I felt that it conflicted too much with nap times/snack times/playgroup etc. I might start though once my daughter starts reception next year. x

bunyip
15-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Just me who likes the after schoolies then :p:laughing:

You're not alone: I like schoolies too. Just started with my first regular one, though I often collect the grandchildren from school as well.

Because they like/do different things to the EY children, I find they provide a real change and a variety. I never feel as if my day got longer - it just gets different. :thumbsup:

Tbh, the only aspect I dislike is that I have to deal with the ruddy school. :(

jillplum
15-02-2013, 07:23 PM
I love the older ones. They are great to talk to and ask about their day etc. Most I have had since they were little. The little ones love playing with the big kids. Yes it is a pain going out in the rain and snow etc but I am only 5 minutes walk from school and nursery. Today I picked up 5 from school so good business.

cockatoos
15-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I do a bit of both! I have after school children who are in the same class / school as my youngest. I have been asked to pick up from my older son's school but haven't got the energy to do two (he walks home on his own). It is a pain to be honest to do school run in afternoon, however, most of the after school children in my care are delightful, and the younger children love them!

bunyip
15-02-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm just starting out and I was thinking of not offering before/after school care, just early years care between 7.30am -5.30pm because:

a) I'm new to childminding and I want to make sure I don't take on too much and compromise care
b) My 3 children (age 12, 9 and 6) will be adjusting to having mindees in their home and I want to be able to still be there for them as much as I can.

I'm signed up to do 1 enhanced provision placement which would probably be in school hours, which does mean that I *could* offer 1 early years before/after slot without adding to numbers.

Someone's just phoned asking for before/ after school for 1 infant school child and 1 nursery child and I explained I don't offer that at this time and now I feel mean :blush: and I'm also worried that I'm being unrealistic business wise?

Also don't want to get a bad reputation as inflexible...

What would you all advise?

Sorry, I didn't address your question from a business perspective as you asked.

Ultimately you have to chose what fits your business needs in together with your home and family life.

The possible pitfalls of not doing schoolies would be:-

1. You may have to turn down business if you have a family with a combination of pre-school and school children

2. You can't offer the continuity of care that many families specifically look for when choosing a childminder over other forms of care. Children grow up. You may find you also have a personal/emotional wrnech when it comes to giving notice the moment they start school. You have to be very up-front with parents if you know you're not going to offer to extend care into their school years. If you fail to warn them in advance, you risk acquiring a reputation for letting people down. :(

Hope this helps. :)

houseofelliots
15-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I think you're doing the right thing. I have 2 or 3 under 5's every day BUT also have up to 5 after school. The after schools are ok until they get to 8 plus then they get very loud and more demanding. I'm starting yo wind down after school kids. Take it one step and see how you go. Be choosy

lynncjt
15-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I have after school kids and love it!

My younger ones are 2, 3 and 4 1/2 and they all ask at the beginning of the day "who's coming in tonight"

I guess i've been lucky and the combination really works for me, I like the fact that the day is broken up and the little ones and the big ones get on really well.

Little Puddings
15-02-2013, 08:39 PM
I prefer my under 5s they don't cause half the problems the older ones do. I do before and after school as I have to take my own girls to school. At the moment I only have one before school on a Monday and she happens to be my girls best friend and she is often here or they go to hers so to me it is not really work.
I have been doing (and just started again as one of my little ones have just started this term) a nursery drop off/pick up but come this Sep I will no longer offer this service as I am a network childminder and it interfers with my own eye sessions. At the minute I have no children accesssing their funding through me so there is no issue. The 3 yr old definately needs the bigger setting with 'older' children as she can be rather bossy :)

lisbet
15-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Sorry, I didn't address your question from a business perspective as you asked.

Ultimately you have to chose what fits your business needs in together with your home and family life.

The possible pitfalls of not doing schoolies would be:-

1. You may have to turn down business if you have a family with a combination of pre-school and school children

2. You can't offer the continuity of care that many families specifically look for when choosing a childminder over other forms of care. Children grow up. You may find you also have a personal/emotional wrnech when it comes to giving notice the moment they start school. You have to be very up-front with parents if you know you're not going to offer to extend care into their school years. If you fail to warn them in advance, you risk acquiring a reputation for letting people down. :(

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you, it does.

It's not that I have anything against school aged children - my own three would be put out if I did! :laughing: It's just that whilst I am learning the ropes and my children are learning to share their home I don't want to have too many children here after school.

By the time early years mindees start school we will all know each other well and be used to the routine, so I am imagining that might be when I start doing after school care. And if a family wanted me to look after their pre-schooler all day, then I probably would take their sibling after school because of continuity of care/ it makes business sense.

I will try and make sure I am upfront about things. :thumbsup: Maybe say that before/ after school places may be available in certain circumstances?

lisbet
15-02-2013, 08:59 PM
I have after school kids and love it!

My younger ones are 2, 3 and 4 1/2 and they all ask at the beginning of the day "who's coming in tonight"

I guess i've been lucky and the combination really works for me, I like the fact that the day is broken up and the little ones and the big ones get on really well.

That does sound like a really nice set up! :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
16-02-2013, 06:35 PM
I have 3 after schoolies, but they are all children that I have had since babies!! I don't "take on" schoolies as such! ts up to you how you run your business, and if its not something you want to consider at present you don't have to :)

phoenix2010
16-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Ive always found it more trouble than its worth to be honest

I have one before and after school now , shes a lovely 9 yr old girl , very sensible and I only took her on becasue it meant having her 3 yr old sister full time , so they came as a package if you like , but if she leaves i will not be looking to have anymore

jackie 7
16-02-2013, 11:06 PM
I thought I was weird not to want after schoolers. I sm so so so happy to know I am not the only one. A friend has so much back chat and issues with them I really just wanted under 4's.

chezzagriff
16-02-2013, 11:46 PM
At the moment I have to as have 2 of my own children under 5 but when they are older I dont plan on it

The Juggler
17-02-2013, 08:55 AM
i try not to do it now - and it's much easier being able to attend to the little ones I have to admit. Last few months though I've ended up with some favours, dropping off dd's friends en route on way home, a friends dd a few times a week and a mat cover for another minder. Its soooo much harder after school now and I won't be going back to it in a hurry.:panic:

MessybutHappy
17-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I do, but only because I have young children myself. Will rethink when I don't have to be going there anyway!

TraceyC
17-02-2013, 09:25 AM
I do a bit of both, but I don't really like after schoolers. I don't enjoy their back chat which I get alot of. My own children ,5,4 and 22 months love it but also get really tired and it's tough on the two babies that I look after on separate days and I can't bobble them up and down very easily at the same time as I am cooking tea. One of my after schooler's has just gone down to one session a week (due to mum's work circumstances) - I was quite relieved. The other little girl I have twice a week and she is best friends with my little girl and is lovely.

However now I am finding as I get busier and busier and turning away business, that the after school stuff is affecting what I can do during the day.

kel1983
17-02-2013, 09:43 AM
We have one before school and 3 after school. I work alongside my mum so we are able to take drops offs and pick ups in turns. It works for us as most of our lo's leave by 3.15 so it just fills empty spaces. They are all girls though and can be a nightmare. Last week we had tears over who's turn it was to have the leopard place mat at dinner time. lol

scottishlass
17-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Hi I also prefer not to have schoolies - have my own 3 girls who are 6 and 10 and am in Scotland where kids up to 16 are included in your 6 kids. So if I don't want it to affect my 3 pre-school places then I can only take 1 school child anyway due to having 2 of my own.

I do have one schoolie just now who is 5 for 1 day a week until 7/8pm - I took her on as also have her baby brother for the 1 day. All my other kids are away by 5pm each day and don't do tea for them so would not want to do a late finish any more day than this!!

Having said all that I get lots of calls for school spaces as the after school club where I am is full and people are struggling to find Childcare after school. Maybe if I didn't have my own older kids I would do more schoolies.

At least you can always change your mind if you decide you want to try it or if you get a sibling.

Xx

migimoo
17-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Most seem to be of the same opinion as me...schoolies are too hard for the money,mind you i've only ever had 2 schoolies (sisters) and gave them notice recently as they were just awful so maybe it's just that bad experience that's put me off....some of my CM friends have great schoolies who play beautifully with the LO's-individual choice at the end of the day!

TNT
17-02-2013, 01:49 PM
I really like having a range of ages. I have to pick up my own children from preschool and school every day anyway so for me it doesnt feel like a hassle. I find that it breaks up the day and the little ones love playing with the older ones at a quite busy difficult time (it means I can get on with dinner while the little ones are entertained:D).
Maybe I have been lucky with the older children, they have all been lovely.

Rubybubbles
17-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I have a school run every morning and 2 afternoons a week (as I look after younger sibling on them 2 days)

I will not do afterschool for other families as I love not having to stop what we are doing/wake up babies I do a pre-school run at 12 pm everyday which can be a pain but we have worked it out now and going to plan lol!