PDA

View Full Version : My Operation Christmas child shoe box

phoenix2010
15-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Im sat here shedding a tear like a proper numpty

just found out that our shoebox went to Kyrgyzstan

Ive never even heard of it , but apparently its a pretty inhospitable cold place and the children trekked across
freezing mountains for over an hour from their village in the snow to the rehabilitation centre where they were presented with their boxes

they just about have enough money to eat and never get toys or treats

It feels great to know that a little boy , just like my 6 yr old son , got a new pair of gloves, some toys and sweets and Im sure he appreciated it infinitely more than the treats my son takes for granted

I will definitely be doing it every year and I hope that this inspires anyone who has never done it before

It cost about £25 I suppose to do and I just think of it as another child to buy for

AliceK
15-02-2013, 03:53 PM
That's a lovely thing to do, how lovely to know who it went to as well :)

xxx

chezzagriff
15-02-2013, 04:03 PM
I would love to do it were can I find out more details? It is lovely that you find out where it goes

Mouse
15-02-2013, 04:17 PM
I love the idea of a shoe box appeal, but for personal reasons won't do anything connected with Samaritan's Purse or Operation Christmas Child. It's a real shame that there aren't any alternative schemes about.

MessybutHappy
15-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I'd love to know how to get involved too, I think my own children are old enough to understand what it means too.

lizduncan72
15-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I love the idea of a shoe box appeal, but for personal reasons won't do anything connected with Samaritan's Purse or Operation Christmas Child. It's a real shame that there aren't any alternative schemes about.

Blythswood do it too :)

pat75
15-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I have done shoe box appeal through my church and my kids like to help choosing toys and other stuff for it. They had also pay for some of it from they saving money.

loocyloo
15-02-2013, 09:28 PM

our local charity send them. It's called children in distress & they go all over.

dette
15-02-2013, 09:53 PM

i wont support these charities for various reasons ,some of them being their intolerance and disrespect for other peoples religion.
BUT ...i supporty a charity called convoy aid ..romania...they collect all second hand clothes ,furniture ,bedding,everything ..pans cups,you name it
They also send shoe boxes at xmas ,they ask for 30p to help pay for fuel.they also run a godparent scheme.we send £4 a month to support a disabled girl who lives in poverty.
They are one of the few charities who take clothes ,these families are desperate.they have nothing.
I watched a DVD that they issued and there was a child opening his box at xmas.inside was a teddy ,like the kind you might find in a charity shop,nothing special,this child hugged it and kissed it and held it to his chest like it was the best thing he had ever had.I went into my toy room and filled 4 bin bags with soft toys and sent them all,i cry every time i think about it,im cryin now .we can make such a difference to these desperate children and families ,little food hampers,bags of clothes ,shoes ,coats our LO's have out grown.look them up CONVOY AID ..they are always looking for more people to collect for them

phoenix2010
15-02-2013, 10:02 PM
I dont think theres any need to get political , what a shame :(

I was just passing on a sentiment of giving to a child that has nothing

Im not even religious , Im atheist actually but thats besides the point , its the end result that matters

its called operation christmas child for anyone who is interested

but Im sure there are other organisations who do this kind of thing :)

dette
16-02-2013, 12:18 AM
I dont think theres any need to get political , what a shame :(

I was just passing on a sentiment of giving to a child that has nothing

Im not even religious , Im atheist actually but thats besides the point , its the end result that matters

its called operation christmas child for anyone who is interested

but Im sure there are other organisations who do this kind of thing :)

until i just read your post i hadnt realised that mine could have been seen as against yours..that was never my intention at all.every box that any child receives is precious and so worthwhile.i just wanted to give an alternative to those who dont donate because of politics or religion so more people would support these children whoever and wherever they are .you obviously feel like i do that we can touch the lives of these little ones by such a simple act of kindness. i hope i havent offended you or saddened you as that was never my intention.xxxx

angeldelight
16-02-2013, 12:30 AM
I think all these ideas are lovely

Well done to you all for doing this

Angel xx