PDA

View Full Version : confusing question...ratios

leeanne910
15-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Ok. So here we go.
I have my own 2 children aged 6years and 1year

On a monday tuesday and wednesday term time i have 2 under 5's....in the school holidays i have 2under 5 mindees and 1 5year old. So. I am in ratio with my children and my mindees

However

There is not a demand for before and afterschool and i am looking to have an assistant monday tuesday wednesday for me to increase my under 5 numbers but stay within 6kiddies.

The reason im asking is with the whole including ur own children in ratios....now if i have an assistant does that mean i will.be ok with ofsted...its just planning permission?

So with an assistant it could look like this mon-wed

1 year old (my son)
7 month old
3 year old
and assistant to have
1x termtime and school hol under 5
1x term time only under 5
1x termtime only between 9-3 child

Does that make sence? Is that right? And if my son is ever sent home from.school poorly i would need to close either way but.from.a ratio point of view i would be alright?

sarah707
15-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Ofsted have told me that you can only replace your own child with a childminded child if there is absolutely no risk of them being sent home and affecting your ratios...

So if your child is at school you cannot care for another child to fill their space.

a childminder was pulled for this recently - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/lounge/114518-ofsted-mentor-visit.html

Hth :D

leeanne910
15-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Thats what i was on about...i.got in a tizzle about the other thread.

But i was on about if i had an assistant?
So on a ratio point of view. Even with 6 under 5s. If he was sent home he is over 5 so i would still be within ratios according to eyfs requirements so the only thing affected would be LA planning permission if that was the case.

Sorry im prob confusing people xx

sarah707
15-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Hmmm yes I see what you mean - ok, glossing over the numbers issue for a moment and looking at it from another angle -

Planning permission can cost in excess of £350... it can take up to 3 months... it is not guaranteed you will get it even if you apply...

You will have to justify the extra traffic, noise etc to your neighbours - the council write to them to ask if they have any objections - this is the bit that has always put me off!!...

It will probably change the use of your house from home to business premises - you will have to pay business rates, pay for a business bin to be emptied etc.

It also has implications when you come to sell your house if it's a business rather than private.

I suggest you look into it very carefully ... then if you want to proceed you can contact your council for more info.

Then worry about the ratios......

Hth :D

leeanne910
15-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks sarah. I get into these moments and i think too hard then self doubt and confuse myself hahaa also...my DO didnt say much. X

Mouse
15-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I agree with Darah, check with your local planning board. Here we are not required to have planning permission, so can have as many children (from a planning point of view) as we want. Some councils seem really strict about it, others obviously can't be bothered with the extra workload it might entail :rolleyes: fingers crossed yours is one of the more lenient planning boards :thumbsup: