PDA

View Full Version : Twinkle twinkle little star??????

mrs robbie williams
14-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Was at playgroup yesterday and song time came and a child asked for twinkle twinkle and the leader said don't forget when we sing like a diamond in the sky we dont make the diamond shape as it means something different in sign language so we had to pretend it was a diamond ring which threw my minders completely? Anyone else heard of this? X

RuthJ
14-02-2013, 07:51 PM
No, never heard of that :laughing:

Rick
14-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Was at playgroup yesterday and song time came and a child asked for twinkle twinkle and the leader said don't forget when we sing like a diamond in the sky we dont make the diamond shape as it means something different in sign language so we had to pretend it was a diamond ring which threw my minders completely? Anyone else heard of this? X

Never heard of that and neither has most of the country probably! If noone knows does it really matter?

phoenix2010
14-02-2013, 07:53 PM
what does it mean in sign language ? Im curious now

Mouse
14-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Yes I have heard of that, but think it's a complete over reaction.

Here's an article about it:

Toddlers told not to make nursery rhyme sign in case it is offensive - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8961195/Toddlers-told-not-to-make-nursery-rhyme-sign-in-case-it-is-offensive.html)

phoenix2010
14-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Toddlers told not to make nursery rhyme sign in case it is offensive - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8961195/Toddlers-told-not-to-make-nursery-rhyme-sign-in-case-it-is-offensive.html)

it means vagina lol

mrs robbie williams
14-02-2013, 07:56 PM
It's a sure start group but I'd never heard of it we go to a church singing group on Monday's which is very multi cultural and we do it the traditional way there

mrs robbie williams
14-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Oh - that could be why then lol

RuthJ
14-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Yes I have heard of that, but think it's a complete over reaction.

Here's an article about it:

Oh, how ridiculous! It's a completely innocent gesture!

But I'm never going to be able to sing it without thinking of the alternative meaning now! :panic:

Mouse
14-02-2013, 08:00 PM

But I'm never going to be able to sing it without thinking of the alternative meaning now! :panic:

It is ridiculous, isn't it?

It says in the news article that the sign for genitalia is making a diamond shape in front of your crotch. I've yet to see anyone with a crotch above their head, so how on earth anyone would mistake it is beyond me :panic:

Rick
14-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Exactly, in the context of the song, the gesture means something else. Im not going to stop signing a vagina......er a star :laughing:

vikiwizz
14-02-2013, 08:02 PM
That's so silly, surely the reason we do that in the first place is because its the shape of a diamond? Held above your head meaning in the sky.
I really have seen it all now :(

WibbleWobble
14-02-2013, 08:02 PM

i did know......and i always have an inner smile when i make the shape...

i also have to check myself when the lady sings "whats in the bag" (i always think of Vic and Bobs shooting stars when they sing it to Angelos) and there are other songs i know the mucky words for.....

i am such a flithy girl (Vyx on here comes to the same group and we look at each other knowingly)

wibble x

Mouse
14-02-2013, 08:10 PM
i did know......and i always have an inner smile when i make the shape...

i also have to check myself when the lady sings "whats in the bag" (i always think of Vic and Bobs shooting stars when they sing it to Angelos) and there are other songs i know the mucky words for.....

i am such a flithy girl (Vyx on here comes to the same group and we look at each other knowingly)

wibble x

The big problem is when you start to sing a song & half way through realise you only know the "alternative" chorus :blush::laughing:

cathtee
14-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I had heard this but it won't stop me doing the the diamond shape, what will they come up with next

watgem
14-02-2013, 09:52 PM
we were told this on our STC course so we have to tap our engagement finger

wendywu
14-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes i did know but what silly person decided to make a diamond shape mean a vagina in sign language. I mean have you looked at the shape of yours, diamond ! no i dont think so.

I will sing my nursery rhymes the way i have been doing for 24 years , vaginas or no vaginas :laughing:

lubeam
14-02-2013, 10:44 PM
You tell em Wendy :)

vikiwizz
14-02-2013, 10:49 PM
And let's face it, why would a Virginia be in the sky ;)

lubeam
14-02-2013, 10:50 PM
New Karma sutra ?! Lol

jadavi
14-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Gave me a good giggle before bed. Thank you girls!

Daisy De
15-02-2013, 07:14 AM
:laughing:

The world has gone mad.

I'm sure it wouldn't be read like that in the context of the nursery rhyme.

Thanks ladies and Rick :) that is now imprinted in my brain and will be a cause of inner amusement everytime I sing Twinkle Twinkle, please don't let me smirk or chuckle outwardly. :panic:

jillplum
15-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Oh my I have tears of laughter running down my face now. I cant wait to go to toddlers at the chapel and see the leader innocently signing vagina to us all. Wait till I tell the other minders that go. We are going to be helpless with laughter :laughing:

chezzagriff
15-02-2013, 02:52 PM
hahaha I have never heard of this in my life. How longs this nursery rhyme and action been around and only now is it offensive? Pointing to your ring finger is not a diamond the shape we do IS. I will still be holding vaginas in the sky I think its ridiculous :D

Rick
15-02-2013, 04:34 PM
:laughing:

The world has gone mad.

I'm sure it wouldn't be read like that in the context of the nursery rhyme.

Thanks ladies and Rick :) that is now imprinted in my brain and will be a cause of inner amusement everytime I sing Twinkle Twinkle, please don't let me smirk or chuckle outwardly. :panic:

Thanks Daisy De....someone who remembered I'm not a lady!! :laughing:

WibbleWobble
15-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks Daisy De....someone who remembered I'm not a lady!! :laughing:

dude looks like a ladeeeee!!!

(big mindees sing that at Mr Wobble who has very very long hair)

wibble xxxx

nipper
15-02-2013, 05:25 PM
My world has just fallen apart now:(

bunyip
15-02-2013, 07:12 PM
The musings of Citizen Bunyip:-

We could substitute the BSL sign for diamond (which indicates a shining diamond on the ring finger) instead of the makaton one. But this raises the problem of many BSL signs now being regarded as non-pc and ripe for updating. Nothing like a big fight to decide who's the most hard done by, eh? :rolleyes:

We could refer the matter to Mr Tumble for adjudication.

A "diamond in the sky" is not likely to be found at crotch-level. A real star (i.e. blazing gas giant of solar proportions) will remove your bikini line in a jiffy. :D

We could just let children be children, without imposing our own dirty minds on them. :mad:

safcfluff
15-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Oh my I have tears of laughter running down my face now. I cant wait to go to toddlers at the chapel and see the leader innocently signing vagina to us all. Wait till I tell the other minders that go. We are going to be helpless with laughter :laughing:

As a childminder I've been really 'working on' Twinkle twinkle little star this week. Little did I know what I was really doing! I go to the same toddler group as jillplum so the next session is going to be hilarious........:eek:

lubeam
15-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Agree with bunyip :)

MessybutHappy
15-02-2013, 08:45 PM
I vote Mr Tumble!!!!

dette
15-02-2013, 09:34 PM
OMG this is so funny LOL ..to make matters worse many cumbrian children (and ladies ) refer to their PRIVATES as their TWINKLE :ROFL1:
takes it to a whole new level

bunyip
15-02-2013, 09:38 PM
OMG this is so funny LOL ..to make matters worse many cumbrian children (and ladies ) refer to their PRIVATES as their TWINKLE :ROFL1:
takes it to a whole new level

Didn't there used to be a girls' comic called 'Twinkle' in the 70's?!?! :o

loocyloo
15-02-2013, 09:54 PM

YES ! and I still have many of the annuals! DD loves them :0)

dette
15-02-2013, 09:56 PM

i dont know why ..but it just sounds so ...wrong

angeldelight
15-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Madness

This reminds me of my friend who can't sing ba ba black sheep at her nursery ..it's got to be ba ba wooly sheep

Totally crazy

Angel xx