PDA

View Full Version : How many children a childminder should have

mummy bear
14-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know how many children inc babies can a childminder take a day. Or we're tells you more information, and also ate childminders covered to put children in another childminders car ?

AgentTink
14-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know how many children inc babies can a childminder take a day. Or we're tells you more information, and also ate childminders covered to put children in another childminders car ?

The EYFS states that a childminder can have at any one time 6 children under 8, of whom no more than 3 under 5 and 1 under one. It allows for children of 4 years old an in full time school, to be classed as a over 5 in regards to ratios.

Childminders can then also look after a number of over 8's.

even though the EYFS states this above, childminders can also do variations which allows then to look after more children under the age of 5, based on certain factors.

Childminders can also work with assistants and othe childminders, so their ratios would then be increased.

all this can be found on page 21 of the EYFS booklet below
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/EYFS%20Statutory%20Framework%202012.pdf

Childminders are able to use someone else's car as long as they are with the children and the correct safety precautions are used. This is on page 26 of the above booklet, it says
3.65 Vehicles in which children are being transported, and the driver of those vehicles, must be adequately insured.

sarah707
14-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Eyfs statutory requirements -

Childminders - ratios
3.39 At any one time, childminders may care for a maximum of six children under the age of eight. The numbers include the childminder’s own children or any other children for whom they are responsible – for example, children who the childminder is fostering. Of these six children, a maximum of three may be young children (child is a young child up until 1st September following his or her fifth birthday), and there should only be one child under the age of one.

Hth :D

mummy bear
14-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Thank u, does the ratio also apply to siblings of children already in care for example if the childminder already has the max number could they then try to take on babies if they r siblings?

Is the childminder allowed to be putting children that are in her care into another childminders car as the childminder has too many children?

sarah707
15-02-2013, 07:50 AM
These 2 documents have been checked by Ofsted -

Variations2012 (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/variations2012.html)

Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

They take you through variations and making changes to the conditions of your registration :D

rickysmiths
15-02-2013, 07:57 AM
The other factor that must be taken into account is space. EYFS sets out the amount of space needed to care for each child. You can't have the max of six children if you don't meet those criteria.

green4lynn
15-02-2013, 08:18 AM
You sound like you have concerns about a childminder being over numbers!

x

CLL
15-02-2013, 08:38 AM
I have recently completed my course and been inspected by Ofsted. On my course the trainer said that "Many childminders put their young children into full time daycare, get tax credits to pay for it and this frees up another space for them to take an extra child." I thought this sounded crazy but other people agreed this is what they were going to do. After reading other people's comments on various threads I guess this is not allowed, can anyone confirm this? My child is older so do not have a personal interest in this but quite worried we were told this is ok. Thanks

dette
15-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Thank u, does the ratio also apply to siblings of children already in care for example if the childminder already has the max number could they then try to take on babies if they r siblings?

Is the childminder allowed to be putting children that are in her care into another childminders car as the childminder has too many children?

hi do you have an incident that you would like to run past us ?

VeggieSausage
15-02-2013, 12:17 PM
a minder could certainly put their own children in another car....or if the other person was their registered assistant and had parental permission to use that car they could put children in there.....

AgentTink
15-02-2013, 12:30 PM
I have recently completed my course and been inspected by Ofsted. On my course the trainer said that "Many childminders put their young children into full time daycare, get tax credits to pay for it and this frees up another space for them to take an extra child." I thought this sounded crazy but other people agreed this is what they were going to do. After reading other people's comments on various threads I guess this is not allowed, can anyone confirm this? My child is older so do not have a personal interest in this but quite worried we were told this is ok. Thanks

This is not correct. When Ofsted come out they always ask about the ages of your own children and they are then taken off the figure of 6 children under 8 depending on their ages, regardless as to whether they are in full time day care or not. For example i have a 3 and a half year old daughter, so i am able to look after 5 children under 8, of whom no more than 2 can be under 5.

Even though your child may be in full time day care, if they are off sick or the setting closes then your child would be at home with you.

Tazmin68
15-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi
Above post is correct.your own children reduce numbers and you can claim 3 yr funding for your own child.

chezzagriff
15-02-2013, 02:07 PM
I have an 8 month old of my own and a 2.5 year old so I can only have one under 5 but so far the only enquiries are for babies under 1. If I can prove that I would be able to take care of them both and meet all their needs do you think I would be able to take on one of the babies? Also strange question but my 2.5 year old is another childminders as he has been their since being 9 months old and also the independence away from me is good for him as he is very clingy. I claim tax credits for him to go there and was wondering if I were to give my ofsted number in could I claim them for my 8 month old as he is with me full time which technically means from 7.30 - 6.00 he is at a childminders. lol

Tazmin68
15-02-2013, 02:23 PM
You cannot claim tax credits for your child to stay with you. If you are able to provide 3 year old funding you can then claim for your own child.

Zoomie
15-02-2013, 02:34 PM
You can claim tax credits for your own child if they attend another setting, such as a childminder or nursery.

If you are approved to supply funded nursery education, then you are allowed in these circumstances to claim (from the council) for your own child.

chezzagriff
15-02-2013, 02:45 PM
If my child went to the nursery I worked in I would be able to apply even if they would be with me so wouldnt this be the same circumstances or is it because its my own business? Thanks