PDA

View Full Version : Children being cruel to the cat....GRRRRR!!!!

VeggieSausage
14-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I look after two 3 year olds and we have been out playing in the garden today. We have 2 young cats that we have had for 6 months and I have kept telling one of los to stop following one of the cats and chasing him as he doesn't like it and you have to be nice to cats etc. I went in to the kitchen for literally 30 seconds to get something, came back out and the 2 boys were chasing and had the cat cornered and were hitting it with sticks.......I feel sick to my stomach and so upset about it....one of the boys was really doing the hitting, the one I had been telling all morning to leave the cat alone. I have never known anything like this, my own children would never do that....

mazza58
14-02-2013, 11:46 AM
poor cats hope they are ok, my cat has learnt to stay out of the way of the children and I am always frightened in case a child does something to him and then he scratches them even though he is such a timid cat you just never know. Children need to learn not to be cruel to animals so I hope they got a good telling off

mrs robbie williams
14-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I would be having stern words with the children and also with the parent at pick up time, that is totally unacceptable - poor kitty :( if they cant be nice and respect your home and pets they would be going elsewhere :angry::angry:

chezzagriff
14-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Thats horrible, definatly speak with the parents. I have a dog and hes never hurt so much as a fly but I put him behind a baby gate in the day were he can sit on the landing and see us or go into the spare room if hes had enough as I dont want him being harassed by the children as its not fair on him but also like people have said you never know if they will end up turning. Cats are more difficult as you cant do that :(

Shamai
14-02-2013, 12:35 PM
That is awful and at 3yo not something you would expect to see. I would definitely have strong words with parents, the behaviour is totally unacceptable and as a fellow animal lover, I'd be upset too x

helena_j
14-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Ah that's horrible, definitely speak to parents at pick up. We have a cat and luckily the elder ones age 3 are very good and never touch him and ask if they can which is good(particularly as our cat is not keen on being fussed, especially by children) the youngest child age 1 tries to grab him alot. Luckily our cat has now learned to sleep on our bed and just runs up and down quickly when he wants to come in and out and spends his evening with us on the sofa when the children have all gone lol.

Littleglees
14-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I have a mindee who smacks no sorry hits !!! their dog with his bags at drop off, it makes me cringe, the dog is cowering and mum just says, softly !!! Don't do that !!!! One day that dog will have enough and .... Bang , tell the parents these cats are your family.

Sare x

Sarah's Jellytots x

teacake2
14-02-2013, 01:24 PM
I have a 17 month old like that, he dives on the cats and the dogs if he gets the chance, I am afraid he is told in no uncertain terms that I do not accept it, and he is put in the babies play pen and not allowed out for quite some time. He knows what he is doing as he really has a mean streak in him, I have only ever had this in one so young before once and he is now 5 and is always getting sent home from school because of his behaviour.
You can imagine them in borstal when they are older I know I shouldn't say it but sometimes I dispair with parents and the way they let their children behave towards others and animals.
Teacake2

zillervalley
14-02-2013, 01:32 PM
omg that's horrible, I have cats too and one of my mindees follow them when they are in the house, which I must admit isn't very often as they don't come any where near when he is hear

I would defo have words with the parent and tell them what they have done,

hope kitties are ok

ziller

toddlers896
14-02-2013, 01:32 PM
one of mine tried to ram my dog with a buggy yesterday. I told her off and gave her time out. I wont accept that. They need to understand that its wrong.

Tazmin68
14-02-2013, 01:46 PM
I don't know if there is anything about cats but there is a computer cod rom disc called the blue dog cd and it teaches children to treat dogs with respect.

jillplum
14-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Hope your cat is ok. I have 2 cats. One stays outside all the time and the other one goes upstairs if the kids are bothering him. Mind you he has scratched a few kids over the years when they have got too close!

caz3007
14-02-2013, 03:16 PM
I dont have any pets now but did when I started minding and also had cats when my older two were young. All children should be taught to be caring and kind to animals, to me its one of the main lessons along with sharing, manners etc. I hate it when we go to the park and there are children chasing the birds and squirrels, it really makes me cross. I think my mindie may be allowed to when she isnt with me but I tell her its wrong and I dont accept that behaviour when we are out

Daisy De
14-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Your poor cat, hope he is ok.

What would worry me is that the mindee knew it was wrong but did it anyway and to a living thing, to be honest I doubt I would want that child in my house.

I have two cats and two dogs and my biggest message to mindees is that we treat the animals with respect. I would never allow the children to pull them about, sit on them or even hug them too tightly, if a child did not adhere to my rules, then I doubt they would stay here long. With my cats I usually promote the don't touch them at all strategy safer all round with cats.

Do you think his parents will be equally shocked and make him aware of what he has done? I certainly hope so.

And Sarelou76 about the boy who hits his dog, you are right one day that dog will turn and everyone will blame the dog. I would have to say something at drop off I wouldn't be able to keep my big mouth shut and I certainly would try and re-educate the child that his dog is a living creature who feels pain and fear.

VeggieSausage
14-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Sadly I think the parents will think it was funny :( or think that its only a cat...all morning I kept telling him to keep away from the cat and the cat usually keeps well out of the way, and I feel he knew it was wrong because he waited until I stepped into the kitchen to flick the kettle on to do it. I think there are empathy issues with this child anyway. My day just got worse as well because the other lo bit the cat-hitter on the hand when I went to get their lunch....:( not looking forward to speaking to parents at pick up time, at the moment I feel really deflated and like I want these two out of my sight and can't wait until they go home. I have looked after these 2 from when they were little and the one that hit the cat I feel there could be some issues with him, the other one is a little bit of a bully with weaker children, his parents will not accept that it is ever his fault. He picks on the other child in a very underhand way, such as every toy he picks up the other boys hand is on it and he is constantly saying 'I'll have that please' ...as though saying that over and over again is ok in a polite way, or it will look as though they are playing nicely together and then you see that he is digging a toy into the back of the younger child. I had a big talk to the family a few weeks ago and the parents took it seriously but seemed to think its the influence of the older brother that is the problem, which it might be but this child still hurt another child. I don't work tomorrow and am flinging my arms up in despair today, I am really disappointed in the two of them.....sorry everyone, sometimes we have bad days don't we? x

RuthJ
14-02-2013, 04:18 PM
one of mine tried to ram my dog with a buggy yesterday. I told her off and gave her time out. I wont accept that. They need to understand that its wrong.

I have an 18 month old that will do this if she thinks I'm not looking. It's horrible. My poor dog is old and she stays in her bed most of the day but the minute she gets out of LO is playing with the pushchair she heads straight for my dog and rams her. It's awful, and she has a dog at home so not sure why she does this. I take the pushchair off her when she does it now and it does away for the rest of the day.

So sorry to hear how cruel your mindees have been to your cats. I would definitely speak to the parents - they should know that it's wrong.

wendywu
14-02-2013, 05:08 PM
I would have scared the living daylights out of them i am afrais to say. My voice can be very very stern and loud.

I would also let the parents know that i thought it was wicked behaviour and not at all normal at their age, lets see them laugh that off.

I would also put the chilren on a warning if it happens again they are out. Sorry but i HATE any sort of cruelty to animals. And im afraid i would say something to the mum whose child hits the dog :angry:

migimoo
14-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Poor little kitty,I bet it had lots of cuddles that evening from you!....I agree that it's worrying to see cruelty like this in a child so young.
Stress to the parents that you're worried that your cat may retaliate next time?

I've had an 18mnth old stamp on my dog's head and an unrelated 3yr old LO that I caught cheerfully kicking my dog (she's twice the size of both LO's but was cowering and shaking under a chair and now has her own space in the utility room where no-one can get in to her if she wants to go in there) LO's were given reflection time and mum's told...both VERY cross and made them apologise but both also said that LO's do this to their own dogs at home all the time....one had a Boxer and one a Staffordshire Bull Terrier....what's it gonna take to make them stop them I wonder-the dogs turning on them?!

AliceK
14-02-2013, 05:22 PM
I have a clause in my behaviour policy that states deliberate cruelty to any of my pets is grounds for immediate termination. Like Wendy I would have scared the living daylights out of him with my voice and face if anyone did that to one of my cats and I would warn the parents that any repeat behaviour will result in termination. There is no need for it. All my children even the 1yr olds know to treat my dogs and cats gently. I will not tolerate cruelty to animals.

xxxx

Daisy De
14-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Sending :group hug: to you VeggieSausage, I would be upset too after such a bad day.

What hope to these children have if their parents think cruelty is funny or believe their child can do no wrong. Unfortunately, if not corrected immediately this type of thing escalates over the years and, although a bit extreme we hear of serial killers who started out with enjoying being cruel to animals.

I fully respect people who do not like animals but no one has the right to be cruel to any living creature.

My animals only have me to protect them so if this happened in my house, I know I could no longer mind that child especially if the parents did not back me 100%

VeggieSausage
14-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks everyone, the whole thing has upset me. I talked to the parents - the cat hitters mother was more supportive of what I was saying than I thought she would be but tried to say that he is usually so upset if he hurt anyone/thing and this isn't like him (he isn't upset because he cares about the other person he is upset because he doesn't like being asked to do something directly like say sorry - he is oblivious to anyone else's feelings and shows little empathy, will avoid eye contact if you ask him outright to do something like say sorry - only my humble opinion but i have been concerned with this issue with him for while)....and the biter's mother asked him if it was true and he denied it, she asked him a few times and he was adamant he didn't, I ended up saying he was the only person there so he did and that is that, she turned to the brother and said 'see this is what happens when you set a bad example - so looks like the little angel of the family may well get away with it again. These incidents seem to happen when the mother is working away so maybe they are attention seeking :( Not a good day, thanks for the support. I am going to update my policies to reflect respecting animals etc ....

jadavi
15-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Amazing - I had the same yesterday. He had the cat by his tail and grabbing his back. (nearly three year old)
I gave him a long long talk about it (in our 'talking and thinking about what we did' chair with me kneeling in front of him holding both hands and forcing eye contact)
I plan now to have daily supervised stroking sessions with our cat, dog and guinea pigs and to talk all the way through about how we love animals (name each of them each day) and how we stroke them and look after them because they need us just like a baby needs us...
This lad also has little empathy, is three and has a violent big brother.(and two new puppies at home!) I told him he must be nice to his puppies too.
I texted mum immediately and will ask her to reinforce it. I will also tell mum that if her children hurt her pups they will get brutalised and dangerous.
I too felt sick to the stomach.
I would not terminate the contract as I am too involved with supporting the family. I also never want to give up on a child but that is by no means a judgement on any one else. I can call on one to one resources if nec which I had to do in the past with an aggressive child who not only hurt other mindees but once hurt our guinea pigs to take out his anger. ( On him i used the 'nurtured heart 'approach - very effective - google it if interested)
But kids torturing / baiting an animals when they get the chance (and suddenly find they have power over a helpless creature) is down to lack of education . If you repeatedly hammer it home on a daily basis (as i plan to do) and freak every time they do it, and include the parents that should do the trick.
Does anyone know any kids books on being kind to animals?

VeggieSausage
15-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Amazing - I had the same yesterday. He had the cat by his tail and grabbing his back. (nearly three year old)
I gave him a long long talk about it (in our 'talking and thinking about what we did' chair with me kneeling in front of him holding both hands and forcing eye contact)
I plan now to have daily supervised stroking sessions with our cat, dog and guinea pigs and to talk all the way through about how we love animals (name each of them each day) and how we stroke them and look after them because they need us just like a baby needs us...
This lad also has little empathy, is three and has a violent big brother.(and two new puppies at home!) I told him he must be nice to his puppies too.
I texted mum immediately and will ask her to reinforce it. I will also tell mum that if her children hurt her pups they will get brutalised and dangerous.
I would not terminate the contract as I am too involved with supporting the family. I also never want to give up on a child but that is by no means a judgement on any one else. I can call on one to one resources if nec which I had to do in the past with an aggressive child who not only hurt other mindees but once hurt our guinea pigs to take out his anger. ( On him i used the 'nurtured heart 'approach - very effective - google it if interested)
But kids torturing / baiting an animals when they get the chance (and suddenly find they have power over a helpless creature) is down to lack of education . If you repeatedly hammer it home on a daily basis (as i plan to do) and freak every time they do it, and include the parents that should do the trick.

Thanks Jadavi, what you have said makes sense to me and I was thinking that everyday we will have supervised stroking too, thought I would do a theme of pets over the next half term and encourage kindness and caring for animals.....

Daisy De
15-02-2013, 07:33 AM

Actually Jadavi you are right.

My instincts and feelings would be that I didn't want to look after that child anymore but I suppose if I care for animals as I say I do then my mission should be to work with that child and change his attitude and maybe contribute to alter his/her future and therefore protect animals at their own house or that they come into contact with as they grow up.