is this going out nationally ?

just got this from my local childminding association

Dear Childminder,

You will probably be aware of the attached government report ‘More Great
Childcare’ published recently.

We’ve been approached by the Department for Education to see if any
Northamptonshire Childminders are interested in meeting with Elizabeth Truss
about childminder agencies.

They have had plenty of negative feedback from the sounds of it so would like to
hear from Childminders who are broadly in favour or at least open minded about
moving to an agency model.

The meeting is likely to be held week beginning 25th February and I have said it
will need to be in the evening. Can you please let me know as soon as possible
if you would like to attend such a meeting?

AgentTink
13-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Wow.i can't believe that they are freely saying that they only want to hear from people who may be interested in a agency model. Does truss not like to hear anything negative about her ideas :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: when will she listen to views of childminders who don't want them :panic:

FussyElmo
13-02-2013, 02:17 PM

Dear Childminder,

They have had plenty of negative feedback from the sounds of it so would like to

The meeting is likely to be held week beginning 25th February and I have said it

No I havent but I dont like the sound of them wanting the cms who are in favour sounds like they dont want any rabble rousers there.

Oh course if they get a room full of people she can say she consulted with cms over the idea and they do want it - or is that the cyncial side of me again

zippy
13-02-2013, 02:28 PM
No I havent but I dont like the sound of them wanting the cms who are in favour sounds like they dont want any rabble rousers there.

Oh course if they get a room full of people she can say she consulted with cms over the idea and they do want it - or is that the cyncial side of me again

Well I'd be going if I lived there, would listen meekly then rip her ideas to shreeds lol

jo.jo76
13-02-2013, 02:37 PM

Dear Childminder,

They only want people there who are 'in favour' or 'open minded' about agencies!!! I either hope no one goes or people not in favour go anyway and rip her ideas to shreds!! :veryangry::veryangry:

SYLVIA
13-02-2013, 02:38 PM
if they only want cm who are interested in agencies, let's hope they end up with an empty room!

phoenix2010
13-02-2013, 02:38 PM
wish i had your confidence zippy , and that would be the plan but as we have been given so little information about how they will work then its difficult to know where to start , I can certainly go armed with a bunch of questions from you lovely people , but I think I would be quickly silenced , like it says , people wanted who are i favour or open minded

I think the biggest wake up call might be Miss Truss walking into an empty room

FussyElmo
13-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Wonder how many of us could be outside with lightsabers - sorry placards and then have no one inside.

Really must get rid of the image if her and her master gove being sith lords :laughing::laughing:

phoenix2010
13-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Ok if I find out where it is , who is up for a demonstration !!!

sarak31
13-02-2013, 02:54 PM
WHAT!!!!
There is something very wrong with our 'democratic' government saying "yes we'd like to hear your views , but please only come if you support us"!!!!!!
Omg I just can't believe that.....

cabby
13-02-2013, 03:19 PM
ive just had the email... i thought i was reading it wrong:angry: :angry:......i love the placecard idea:thumbsup:

mum24
13-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Ok if I find out where it is , who is up for a demonstration !!!
I will, peaceful though.....:laughing::laughing:
depending I can get there in time, I am not too far from south northamptonshire,
hmm could someone tell me why I think it is Northamptonshire? I can't see any location now.

phoenix2010
13-02-2013, 03:30 PM
mum24 it says Northamptonshire in the original post
I wonder why she chose this county?

sarak31
13-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Have just emailed ms Truss and copied Stephen Twigg to express my disgust with this

Dear Ms Truss

I write to express my disgust and concern about an invitation that a colleague has received, extract included below, to a meeting with yourself to discuss the proposed agency model. *

As an ofsted outstanding childminder, with a degree and EYPS, I have my own grave concerns about your proposals, including amending ratios and the agency model, which I have outlined in various consultation processes. * Worryingly, I am frequently being given cause to doubt the value of these consultation processes.*

My purpose of writing was to question how, in a supposedly democratic society, a consultation type meeting can be set up but only those who are in support of your plans invited to come? *This is absolutely unbelievable and not only makes a mockery of the fair system of consultation that our government is supposed to support but fully encourages those who are of the view that you have already made the decision and the democratic process around it is for show only. *Perhaps they are right? * It certainly seems increasingly, that you are looking for feedback to support your own view only. *

I include an extract of the letter below, I hope you will take the appropriate action to ensure consultation remains a fair and open process. *

Regards

mrstom
13-02-2013, 03:48 PM
That is shocking. I wish I lived a bit nearer!

wendywu
13-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Well all who have been invited just say you are for agencies and then rip into her when you get there :laughing:

phoenix2010
13-02-2013, 04:10 PM
no one want to go with me , they all say its best to stay away , but im not so sure :(

bunyip
13-02-2013, 04:22 PM

Dear Childminder,

Oooh, fancy a political party stuffing a meeting with people who'll agree with their schemes?

"Willkommen in Nuremburg." :mad:

wendywu
13-02-2013, 04:36 PM
no one want to go with me , they all say its best to stay away , but im not so sure :(

Yes you must go and put the anti point across, take Sarah Nev with you :thumbsup:

bunyip
13-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Wonder how many of us could be outside with lightsabers - sorry placards and then have no one inside.

Really must get rid of the image if her and her master gove being sith lords :laughing::laughing:

Fussy, ever since you started the Sith Lord thing, I have a mental image of Gove as Darth Stewie in the Family Guy 'Blue Harvest' spoof episode. :clapping:

13-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Should all northamptonshire childminding association members have this? I haven't, why would the NCA become involved in such a one-sided consultation meeting? I hope this isn't a sign of these organisations planning to become agencies and promoting them, I just get more and more worried

FussyElmo
13-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Fussy, ever since you started the Sith Lord thing, I have a mental image of Gove as Darth Stewie in the Family Guy 'Blue Harvest' spoof episode. :clapping:

:ROFL1::ROFL1:

sarah707
13-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Absolutely appalling :( I am shocked that only 'yes men/ women' are invited. Totally shocked.

If I had received that invitation I would be complaining very loudly to the boss and the boss' boss of whoever sent it out :(

loocyloo
13-02-2013, 08:53 PM
that is outrageous!

i do hope no one goes! surely the fact that they are getting lots of negative response should be telling the department of education something?

i have emailed my MP and david cameron!

SammySplodger
13-02-2013, 09:11 PM
This is dreadful! Who will be first to post it up on Mumsnet then??????!
I assume Ms Truss hasn't published her list to confirm who 'lots and lots' of people are yet...
Outrageous behaviour! I'm (almost) speechless.
If I were part of a Northampton CM network I would get together with others and send back a (united) and very firm response, ie No and s*d off!

Christi
13-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm also Northants and received this e-mail, I've just spent the last half an hour trying to write an e-mail that (vaguely politely) expresses my disgust!!!

Childrenatheart
13-02-2013, 09:44 PM
That is incredible! One of you should be copying this email to Nursery World, NCMA, and any media you can, including National Press. Let the public see who we are dealing with.

wendywu
13-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Tell them that you are against agencies and ask if you are still allowed to attend. I bet they wont say no in an email :laughing:

SammySplodger
13-02-2013, 11:21 PM
I suspect Elizabeth Truss may be planning to 'nobble' Northants CMs for her pilot - but why? Is there support?

I agree with previous post Northants CMs - raise awareness! What if new or uninformed CMs support #NoMoreGreatChildcare

Very worried about this :-((

sarah707
14-02-2013, 07:49 AM
This has made me cross. I have been thinking about it through the night - and I have not been able to sit on my hands.

I have written the following email to the Northampton Childminding Association - I do not know who wrote the message so I have sent it to the association's general email address and asked them to pass it on to the writer.

I am wondering whether to send it to the Dept for Education and the press as well - they should know how meetings like this are manipulated :(

To whom it may concern

I would like to register my shock and grave concern at the wording of an email sent to members of the Northampton Childminding association recently.

I do not know who was responsible for writing the email – but I would like to respond to them please. The email stated -

Dear Childminder,

To request that only ‘yes men and women’ should be invited to a meeting with Ms Truss is beyond my understanding.

The ‘negative feedback’ to the ‘More Great Childcare’ plan is, in my opinion and the opinions of thousands of childminders who are lobbying against it and over 22,000 people who have signed the www.keepratiosdown.co.uk petition, totally justified.

I would ask that the writer of this email reads and reflects on the Childminding Forum’s analysis of the ‘More Great Childcare’ plan http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/mgc and considers whether their loyalties lie with the MP or your dedicated, hard working and currently independent childminders.

Thank you.

Sarah

Childminder, early years writer and author of ‘‘More Great Childcare’ - an analysis of the Government’s plans’.

SammySplodger
14-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Sarah - me too - very angry last night! - I left a message on their Facebook Page, not directly about the email but urging CMs in Northants to do their research!

catlyn
14-02-2013, 08:18 AM
This is outrageous!!! I wish I had recieved the E mail coz I would have been straight onto the local press to give them the information......its dicrimination at its worst!!! I would also be attending the meeting regardless of whether theywanted me there or not :angry:

snortlet
14-02-2013, 08:41 AM
I got this email as I'm in Northants and I almost fell off my chair. I did send a heat of the moment reply to the gist of over my dead body as it came from the head of the network who I normally have a good working relationship with and who already knows the majority view on the agency issue! I feel very hurt by this and its feels very much like divide and conquer as has been mentioned before. am not a happy bunny! many thanks to Sarah as always for your much better thought out email response!

sarak31
14-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Sarah I completely agree with you - it made me v angry too hence my mail to truss etc. I considered going to the press too - your email was great as always and if you are prepared to do so, I think it would hold more weight coming from you with all the research you have done and your standing in the early years community. I thought of the guardian initially as they have issued a few articles against the proposals - as well as nursery world etc, but am assuming because of your (great) work so far you have contacts already. Am happy to write to press as well myself - PM me if you want me to do anything.

I just think it's unbelievable the level of control they are trying to have over the process, I feel very cynical about the whole thing and have to say, whilst we should fight, I think it's a done deal. Things like this just support that. Am seriously thinking about my future once this goes ahead which - whilst I dont mean to blow my own trumpet - I think is v sad as I am sure I am not the only good childminder that might be lost to the profession because of the changes Truss is making - shows her shortsightedness if she can't see that coming.

wendywu
14-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Sarah it cannot do any harm at all going to the press, and your voice has a lot of credibility behind it. You may just have been handed a very big playing card in the fight against ET. :thumbsup:

SYLVIA
14-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Sarah, that email is great. Definately go to press and any other contacts you have. Even if this is a done deal and does happen, at least those of us who have made a stand, can turn round and say "We tried to tell you" when it all starts to fall apart!

phoenix2010
14-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Do with it what you like , I will be most upset if Im identified by anyone though as my intentions were good

I have no idea why the NCA sent out this invitation , although I would say there is no evidence that they support the agency idea , but no evidence that they dont , perhaps they were simply passing on the invitation to guage the reaction

I replied that i would like to attend and had many questions to ask

I have heard nothing so far but will keep you posted

loocyloo
14-02-2013, 02:14 PM
i sent an email to my MP telling her about the northamptonshire email and have asked others to send it to their MPs, asking ???? what about democracy and not much for a consulation if only talking to people already in favour!

phoenix2010
14-02-2013, 05:17 PM
OK so for clarity , fairness and balance and if this gets me into trouble , oh well
here is the response fro NCA to what has obviously been quite a shocked reaction from the childminders of Northamptonshire , I know that many emailed them and made it clear that they were "dissappointed " to put it mildly

Dear Childminder,

My email yesterday has prompted lots of response and it needs to be made clear
that, at this stage, NCA does not support the idea of childminding agencies.
What we would like is more effective Ofsted regulation and local support for
quality improvement pathways. However, in this current climate we have to
accept that there will not be funding from central government to do this.

I was contacted by the DFE as Elizabeth Truss would like a ‘round table’
discussion with childminders who would like to be part of an agency or at least
open minded about it. They said that they have already had lots of feedback from
people who are against agencies, so the meeting was for those who are open to
finding out more and possibly help shape what future agencies may look like.

NCA is here to represent all childminders in Northamptonshire and so I passed
the invitation on as requested to give everyone an equal opportunity. It does
look as though changes will be implemented but DFE have confirmed this morning
that this is very much in the early stages so NCA feel that it’s better to be
involved and have the opportunity to ask the many questions we have than exclude
ourselves and it happen without our input.

The More Great Childcare Document states ‘We are working with providers to
develop the agency proposition and business model in the coming months. We plan
to look at existing childminder networks and groups, using good practice to
inform the best approach for agencies. We will pilot agency arrangements in
2013, with the aim of agencies operating (and being registered and inspected) by
2014, subject to Parliamentary approval’.

If you wish to pass your feelings or ideas about childminding agencies please do
contact your local MP or use one of the consultations or petitions that are
available. If you are not sure who your MP is, you can use the search facility
in the following link. Search (Find Your MP) - UK Parliament (http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/)

sarah707
14-02-2013, 06:23 PM
I have just checked my emails and I have not received a reply.

It appears from the email above that Ms Truss asked to talk to people who were keen to support her.

I wonder how she would react to headlines such as -

Truss manipulates meetings about her 'More Great Childcare' plan

Only childminders who agree with Truss 'More Great Childcare' plans invited to consultation meeting

Truss will say 'I have consulted with childminders'... but only those who agree with the proposals in her 'More Great Childcare' plan are invited to meetings

Truss wants to speak to childminders in favour of her plans - those who disagree are asked not to attend

Truss is aware of the negative publicity her plans have engendered and wants to chat to people who think they are a good idea

Not good :(

snortlet
14-02-2013, 06:30 PM
yes Sarah you've hit the nail on the head. very sad and very worrying situation. I will be at a network evening next week with NCA and i expect it will be a hot topic :-(

SammySplodger
14-02-2013, 07:01 PM
This is really depressing...

Could Northants CMs please continue to keep the rest of us in the loop? Thank you.

snortlet
14-02-2013, 07:04 PM

Could Northants CMs please continue to keep the rest of us in the loop? Thank you.

Will do, will prob know more after the network evening next thursday

phoenix2010
14-02-2013, 07:13 PM

will do :-)

SammySplodger
14-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks folks... are you thinking of plotting an 'inside job' then?!

phoenix2010
14-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Im not , I tried to rally support but the general consensus was to email our thoughts to NCA, local MP and government
and stay away from the meeting

SammySplodger
14-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Sorry - that was my sense of humour... I was joking. The whole thing is making me very grumpy and the thought cheared me up a bit.
:-)
But I understand its probably a bit too close to home for you.

phoenix2010
14-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Well the thought did cross our minds :)

The Juggler
14-02-2013, 09:28 PM
this is appalling! :panic:

if she wants to do this, do it in london and invite EVERY childminder not pick and choose who to invite :panic::angry: mind you what else could we expect from that woman :rolleyes:

sarah707
15-02-2013, 09:02 AM
I have just sent the following letter to Nursery World magazine.

Dear Editor

I am writing again, this time to share information with you which I find very worrying.

Northampton Childminding Association wrote to their members asking for people to go along to a meeting with Ms Truss - but clearly stated that only those who agree with or who are open minded to her plans should attend.

It appears poor Ms Truss has received some negative feedback and would like to hear positive comments for a change.

This is the email which was sent out to NCA members -

Dear Childminder,

My reply to NCA reads as follows -

To whom it may concern

I would like to register my shock and grave concern at the wording of this email, sent to your members recently.

To suggest that only ‘yes’ men and women should be invited to a meeting with Ms Truss is beyond my understanding.

The ‘negative feedback’ is totally justified. Perhaps you need to read and reflect on the Childminding Forum’s analysis of the ‘More Great Childcare’ plan http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/mgc and consider whether your loyalties lie with the MP or your dedicated, hard working and independent childminders.

Yours, etc

Will Nursery World magazine raise questions about this blatant bias please? My thoughts for headlines include -

Truss manipulates meetings about her 'More Great Childcare' plan

Only childminders who agree with Truss 'More Great Childcare' plans invited to consultation meeting

Truss will say 'I have consulted with childminders'... but only those who agree with the proposals in her 'More Great Childcare' plan are invited to meetings

Truss wants to speak to childminders in favour of her plans - those who disagree are asked not to attend

Truss is aware of the negative publicity her plans have engendered and wants to chat to people who think they are a good idea

Thank you.

I hope others are also writing to express their concerns!! :(

hectors house
15-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks folks... are you thinking of plotting an 'inside job' then?!

Can it involve gunpowder?:laughing:

SammySplodger
15-02-2013, 09:31 AM
We don't need gunpowder - we've got Sarah!

Fab letter Sarah! Hope they go for it!

hectors house
15-02-2013, 09:41 AM
We don't need gunpowder - we've got Sarah!

Fab letter Sarah! Hope they go for it!

Have just sent link of Sarah's analysis of More Great Childcare plan and the NCA e-mail to my local MP - I did sent letters to him, Michael Gove & Elizabeth Truss last week but haven't heard back, so hoping e-mail gets faster response!

Saw on a post earlier that some members sound as if they may consider agencies if the terms are right ie: holiday / sick pay etc - but we need to stay focused and fight until the end, common sense and knowledge are on our side.

SYLVIA
15-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Who are the best ones to target about pushing for a proper meeting held in a more accessible place for everyone to go to. I feel even if meetings were held up and down the country, different questions and answers are going to be put forward and the whole picture will still not be clear

The Juggler
15-02-2013, 02:04 PM
go Sarah !

If she carries on like this she is going to make a laughing stock of herself (with a little help from us!)

Trouble
15-02-2013, 03:14 PM
take sarah with you she needs a chat with her:thumbsup:

sarah707
15-02-2013, 08:13 PM
take sarah with you she needs a chat with her:thumbsup:

Oh yes please! :D

phoenix2010
15-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Im yet to hear back as to whether Im invited , Im guessing not :(

shortstuff
15-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Can i make a suggestion? Can we not hold a meeting and 'through the press' and official channels invite her? Maybe then she will see how we all feel?

I would love to write to my mp and battle on a local level but our mp, Chis Huhne, has just resigned. Once i have access to a pc, as mine has died and am awaiting my new arrival, i will be using all of the great links the great people of this forum are listing to get my point accross there too.

SammySplodger
02-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Any news from Northamptonshire about how their meeting with Truss went?

snortlet
03-03-2013, 06:33 AM
As of last week the meeting had been put on hold and may not even take place now. lack of interest from childminders maybe but NCA wouldnt say.

SammySplodger
03-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Thank you - very interesting!

phoenix2010
03-03-2013, 09:47 AM
no , Ive not heard anything and NCA stated in the NW article that they hadnt either

perhaps the backlash to it put paid to it , must be worried about causing a demo !!

jelly15
03-03-2013, 12:19 PM
I have only just seen this thread (don't know where I have been). I am shocked to say the least. I am in Wales so this doesn't affect me ..yet, but you all have my support in the fight against E.T. and her plans. It makes you wonder about the governments power to manipulate to get what they want and not what the majority of the public want.