PDA

View Full Version : Reserving space for new baby not born yet!

acorns
13-02-2013, 01:07 PM
I have a mum coming to see me who has a baby due in 2weeks and is going back to work when baby is 5months. Mum wants to get childcare sorted now as good childcare is in high demand in my area :). I've never had an enquiry this early before, I'm happy to reserve the space with no retainer as the times/days are just what I would like (and Mum sounds nice!!) but I would expect a non refundadable deposit. However, I feel uncomfortable with taking a deposit for an unborn baby. Has anyone got any ideas??

QualityCare
13-02-2013, 01:16 PM
If mum signs contracts etc could you waiver the first two weeks and take a deposit as soon as baby is born.

Rubybubbles
13-02-2013, 01:16 PM
It has always been a no no for taking payment for an unborn child, maybe just say for insurance reasons you can't until baby born?

Kiddleywinks
13-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Can you 'pencil her in' until baby is here, and then arrange to sign contracts and pay deposit?
It's not advisable to do this prior to the baby arriving, for obvious reasons, but if you're happy to hold the space without payment for a short while, I can't see a problem with it

moggy
13-02-2013, 01:17 PM
NCMA contracts small print says ' ...formal arrangements to reserve a place for a new baby should not be made until after the birth' . I would just reassure the family that you have a space, maybe go through policies/permissions etc so you are all ready and then when baby arrives you can do contracts and whatever deposit/retainer you agree on. 2 weeks is not long to wait, maybe explain about the NCMA legal advise above and make an appointment for a few weeks time to do contracts.

nipper
13-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I personally wouldn't do it as too much can 'happen'. I would tell mum to come back when baby is born but mention that you cannot hold the space open.

smurfette
13-02-2013, 03:53 PM
5 months away is a long time.. I recently took a retainer to hold a space for end April (from start jan) and mum booked space earlier,, and regretted it as things changed with me, other little ones hours and something that suited me better came up recently (main reason was I am having back problems and couldn't really cope with the extra work) I had to let the mum down felt terrible, but had to do what was right at the time for me and my family,

Could u see her and keep her informed if anything else comes along? I Appreciate that she wants to get sorted but would think maybe three months before would be enough. Especially as your area is busy something different might come along!

Just my personal experienced, good luck anyway!

Little Puddings
13-02-2013, 04:05 PM
I had a teacher couple come to see me end of last August for a space this coming September, I agreed to keep a space open, they had visited load of minders but wanted me. They asked about the contract and did I want a deposit... told them I would write a letter offering them the placement however I would not do a contract or agree a deposit until after the baby is born... baby is due in 2 weeks, she was 13 wks pregnant when they came to see me...

Mrs Pootle
14-02-2013, 01:36 PM
5 months away is a long time.. I recently took a retainer to hold a space for end April (from start jan) and mum booked space earlier,, and regretted it as things changed with me, other little ones hours and something that suited me better came up recently (main reason was I am having back problems and couldn't really cope with the extra work) I had to let the mum down felt terrible, but had to do what was right at the time for me and my family,

Could u see her and keep her informed if anything else comes along? I Appreciate that she wants to get sorted but would think maybe three months before would be enough. Especially as your area is busy something different might come along!

Just my personal experienced, good luck anyway!

Have to agree with this, 5 months is quite a long time and so much can change both for you and mum. Speaking from experience I took a retainer from a mum who was desperate for her child to come to me in 6 months time. I suppose I felt flattered that she was so certain I was the childminder for her, and I agreed to hold the place for the 6 months. Any way, to cut a long story short, my circumstances changed and I really didn't want to take on a baby, and also mums situation changed as she couldn't get the part time hours she had expected at work. It left us both in a very difficult situation, and I would never take on a long retainer again.

Cottonsocks
14-02-2013, 01:43 PM
I've had a couple of new expectant Mums ask about a space. I tell them their name's down & we'll do contracts & deposit once baby's born. It's worked well so far. I've also had present Mums ask when I would have a vacancy so they can plan getting pregnant!!!!!

Tazmin68
14-02-2013, 01:44 PM
I am really going to make you laugh. I have someone who is coming to see me next week. The place is from June 14. Yes June 14