PDA

View Full Version : Writing an immediate termination letter.

LittleLegsCM
13-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi everyone.

I had an incident this morning which resulted in me calling the mum of one my mindees and advising her that I was giving her immediate termination notice. I advised I would take her child to school as it was only half an hour to go but that she would need to arrange other childcare from that point. I have also since spoken to dad and explained what had happened but am now trying to write their official termination letter and struggling.

The mindee in question (nearly 10YO) kicked me this morning, on purpose!
There have been a few issues for some time in regards to his attitude, lack of manners/respect (for example telling me to shut my mouth only a few weeks ago!) and although the parents have apparently been having words with him/ 'grounding' him, he sadly hasnt changed anything. This morning, after asking him to leave the room due to his behaviour, he became very aggresive and rude. He then moved the cushion/wind block thing from the front door and sat on it. I asked him to not to sit on it & put it back as the dog lays next to/on it so would be covered in Lab fur which wouldnt be good to go to school full of. Twice he ignored me, not even making eye contact. I asked a third time while I bent down to put my hand on the cushion ready to move it once he got up but instead he kicked me in the shin. My husband then asked him if he had just kicked me and he responded with 'yeah!' in a 'am I bothered' type of way!

Now my questions are, although I have told dad exactly what happened, do I put all of this in the termination letter or not? Do I attach another copy of my behaviour policy to the letter? (theyve had a copy anyway but just incase). Do I use the words violent behaviour or physical abuse? can anyone help?

This whole situation is naff :((

QualityCare
13-02-2013, 01:03 PM
I would write it all up as an incident, write the termination letter Dear xxx as per our telephone conversation xxxxxx I enclose a copy of the incident along with a copy of my behaviour policy. Keep a copy of the letter and incident report for yourself.

The Juggler
13-02-2013, 02:09 PM
If you have NCMA contracts you can quote the clause relating to safety and behaviour.

In any case I would write something along the lines of "I regret to have to terminate the contrat with immediate effect/without notice due to the nature of the behaviour and the risk to both myself and other children in the setting".

sorry this has happened hon. hope you are ok. I once had to do it but relatign to a 2 1/2 year old :panic::( sending a hug

RuthJ
13-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Oh dear, not a nice situation to be in. I would write up the incident separate to the letter I think rather than include it in the letter. Hope he apologises to you!

Koala
13-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Oh my word.

I would have given him his marching orders as well.

I hope his parents now realize that his behavior NEEDS ADDRESSING.

You must be fuming, I know I would be.
Take care.

nipper
13-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Disgusting behaviour. Hugs to you!

smurfette
13-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Hugs to you, horrible situation to have to deal with, well done for being strong you will feel better when u have written it

maryp0ppins
13-02-2013, 04:01 PM
At his age I expect children to know that this is not acceptable behaviour therefore would do just the same & terminate.

Agree with others - written notice & attach the incident from to it.

Well done for being strong, sound like you will have a nice happy household from now on xx

Chatterbox Childcare
13-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Dear ...

Further to the incident this morning and our subsequent conversations, I have no alternative than to give notice with immediate effect.

I do not feel that I can have x at my setting anymore and I must put the safety of all who attend at the forefront of my business, this includes your son, other mindees, myself and my family.

Yours ....

I would only start quoting clauses if the parents wanted to take more action.

If you are using NCMA contracts call the legal line and I am sure they will help you.

LittleLegsCM
13-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Dear ...

Further to the incident this morning and our subsequent conversations, I have no alternative than to give notice with immediate effect.

I do not feel that I can have x at my setting anymore and I must put the safety of all who attend at the forefront of my business, this includes your son, other mindees, myself and my family.

Yours ....

I like that, thank you hun. Would you still attach a copy of the incident report though or literally just leave it at that unless they ask for more?
TBH, I was expecting to hear something from them once he had been collected from school but I've not heard anything at all!! Although, I suppose that could be worrying in itself- the calm before the storm and all that! :(

sarah707
13-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Like Chatterbox suggests keep it short and to the point.

You cannot care for an older child if their behaviour impacts on the younger ones - that is written into the EYFS and the Childcare Register so you are legally within your rights to terminate, whatever your policies say.

Hugs xx