PDA

View Full Version : advice needed regarding child ill for weeks

sophie1977
13-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi, i'm not sure if i'm post in the right place or not, but i needed some advice please.
i have a child with me since July last year, everything has been fine and going smoothly, until beginning of this year where they struggled to pay me, and thought that that i'd forgotten, because when i asked them for the fortnight's fee, which was late by 1 week, they asked me what for?????

She gave me 1 week and told me there had been some fraud issue with her bank and they had to cancel her card and she would give me the rest the following week when the new one was issued????

The child has now been off for 2 weeks due to being ill, which i doubt very much, and they haven't paid me for 3 weeks altogether now.

I'm not sure what to do as they say he is ill and needed to go to hospital yesterday, but they also told me that last week?? i don't know if they are playing some kind of game with me or it's genuine and if not where do i stand and what shall i do as they have also moved home over the Christmas break and haven't given me their new address.

I want to ask for the money, but they might think that i don't care for the child and only thinking about the money

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

mazza58
13-02-2013, 01:04 PM
I once had this happen to me and have to say that I didn't get my money unfortunately, it could be that the child is ill and they are struggling, but you do have to think about yourself, so maybe you have to ask them if they still require you to keep the place open for the child and if so the the fees owing needs paying before you can take this child back. Sorry not much help really

QualityCare
13-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Is it in the contract that they pay you if the child is ill, if it is send a letter saying you are sorry the child has been so ill but you would like to remind them that as per their contract payment is still due and as it is mounting up would they contact you to make immediate payment and to discuss their sons health issues and plans for the future regarding keeping the place open.

Koala
13-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Good luck on getting your money.

It sounds like you already know it's a bit of a midnight flit scenario.

If you don't have their new address and you havn't been paid properly, they are struggling and you are owed 3 weeks pay, It may be time to assume that the child isn't coming back and they arn't going to pay you either.

In my experience if parents are paying for childcare they generally send them come hell or high water, ill or not! So unless there is something really wrong which they would have told you about I am sure, parents like to tell their woes it sounds like they are too embarrassed to bring him and probably hope you will just forget about it again!

take care.

chezzagriff
13-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Do you have a late payment of fees policy? Mine includes that contract will be terminated if there has been no attempt to pay or any arrangement made to pay within 4 weeks. Send them a photocopy of the signed contract and highlight the part where it says about paying even when the child is off ill. Include a letter saying that if they dont contact you by ........ then the contract will be terminated. Its horrible to have to be so harsh sometimes but like mazza58 said you do have to think about yourself aswell. You have given them a month to pay so you cant say fairer than that I say. Good luck :thumbsup:

sophie1977
13-02-2013, 03:41 PM
i've tried to send message to ask about little one and phoned, but no reply, but i do have 1 week's deposit, and i know where the mum works, so if nothing happens will threaten with legal action or go down to mum's work and have a fun chat!! i'm not happy with this way of leaving things it's not fair on me and extremely rude!!:angry::angry:

chezzagriff
13-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Yes I can imagine its not a nice feeling for you. I have also stated in my policy that if there is a none payment and the contract does end up being terminated that I inform tax credits to prevent fraudulent claims. Harsh I know but some people will happily use your EY number to gain tax credits. The amount of times I came across it when working in private day nurseries. Some people had even used it and we had never met this person before!!!! This sometimes makes parents come to their senses too. I like to use "you wouldnt do your monthly shop in asda and say I will pay you when I can, its the same here"

wendywu
13-02-2013, 04:41 PM
i've tried to send message to ask about little one and phoned, but no reply, but i do have 1 week's deposit, and i know where the mum works, so if nothing happens will threaten with legal action or go down to mum's work and have a fun chat!! i'm not happy with this way of leaving things it's not fair on me and extremely rude!!:angry::angry:

Yes i had one of these fun chats years ago. Mum was an ex childminder and was now working in a bank. She soon paid up when i walked in wonder why :laughing: