PDA

View Full Version : Childcare Vouchers

Nicky.
13-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Hi, I have only just started childminding, (my first child starts with me next week :) ) I have had someone ask me about accepting childcare vouchers can someone tell me how i use these please?

AliceK
13-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Hi
It's very simple. Ask the parent which voucher company they are using then go online and register with that company. They will require a copy of your Ofsted cert. Then what happens is the parent authorises the "vouchers" to be paid to you, they do this electronically and they get paid straight into your bank. You just need to be aware that once the parent makes the payment it will take about 3 working days for the money to show up in your bank account.

xx

bunyip
13-02-2013, 12:49 PM
This is largely a copy&paste of something I posted on another thread. Apologies for boring anyone who's read it before.

Do allow time for the voucher scheme accounts to be set up. This may mean the client has to pay the first bill by other means. You can set the payment-in-advance terms the same as for any other client, and it's up to mum whether she settles the 1st month by cash or voucher - so long as the voucher accounts are ready to do so. But it should be on time without any excuse about the vouchers. If her employer has a voucher scheme, they can set up her end of things ahead of time to be ready for when it's needed. Granted, if she's paying you out of her very first pay packet then she's maybe not had time to get the voucher ball rolling. And it's not your fault if she's given you sufficient time to organise things at your end either. But the essence of it is: lack of planning on her part should not constitute a crisis on your part. By accepting the vouchers, you are saving her money. There's no reason why saving her money should inconvenience you.

A few things I wish I'd known before I accepted vouchers for the first time (and I'm assuming you're having the whole thing done automatically):-

1. Talk to the voucher company. They know everyone has a first time, and it's in their interests to help you have a hasslefree experience.

2. When you receive an email saying the vouchers have been transferred to your account, it does not mean the cash is in your bank yet. Since any delay in clearing is using down to the recipient's own bank, remember that part is not the parent's fault. It's up to the parent to get the vouchers into your voucher account by the due date, but the rest isn't her problem.

3. Check your settings. You should ask the voucher company to make sure their computer searches your account for vouchers and transfers them to your bank account every day. I know this sounds crazy, but a lot of CMs make the quite reasonable mistake of setting it to check once a month. That can mean waiting a whole month to get hold of the cash if the computer is 'looking for' a voucher payment the day before it arrives - because it won't start 'looking' again for a whole nother month.

4. Never, ever, ever refund a voucher payment in cash. Technically it's tax fraud and money laundering. If mum overpays by vouchers, then you can carry over the credit to the next bill or contact the voucher company to transfer the credit back into her voucher account.

5. You are not responsible for how mum manages her voucher account. If she pays too much of her salary in and can't get it out: her problem, not yours.

6. Don't take any BS from mum about the voucher company delaying transactions. Parents sometimes try it on and say "oh I expect the voucher company gets delayed by the bank holiday", etc. I got my December vouchers credited on Boxing Day. In fact, they frequently draw down the money from the employer's payroll several days before the parent's due pay day. I tell my voucher-paying parents that I expect the credit on time and no arguments. First time they're late I'd issue a warning, second time and I refuse to accept anything but cash or BACS from the parents. They know the vouchers save them money, so none of them have messed me about so far.

Hope this helps. :)

Rick
13-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi
It's very simple. Ask the parent which voucher company they are using then go online and register with that company. They will require a copy of your Ofsted cert. Then what happens is the parent authorises the "vouchers" to be paid to you, they do this electronically and they get paid straight into your bank. You just need to be aware that once the parent makes the payment it will take about 3 working days for the money to show up in your bank account.

xx

Yep I did this very thing today (for the first time). Ask the parents how much they intend to apply for from their company's scheme. Mine can only request £124 as the dad's income is above the threshold but can be up to £243. All I do is minus £124 from their invoice to give a balance to pay. The voucher company will pay directly into your bank (or via cheque if you require) when the parent authorises payment.

HTH :D

oxfordshirecm
13-02-2013, 02:30 PM
I except vouchers from two sets of parents and just write invoices for whole amount they owe for childcare and allow parent to work out how they will pay me- dependent on amount.

ceegee
14-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I was told when doing my training only Childminders who get an outstanding ofsted can accept childcare vouchers.
I assume this is wrong then?

I have x1 child who's mum asked me about vouchers and I said I was unable to accept vouchers - she was happy to pay and thankfully I was still asked to have her child.

I guess it might be worth chatting with her and looking into accepting childcare vouchers?

FussyElmo
14-02-2013, 07:41 AM
I was told when doing my training only Childminders who get an outstanding ofsted can accept childcare vouchers.

I have x1 child who's mum asked me about vouchers and I said I was unable to accept vouchers - she was happy to pay and thankfully I was still asked to have her child.

I guess it might be worth chatting with her and looking into accepting childcare vouchers?

As long as you are a registered cm you can accept vouchers.

lynncjt
14-02-2013, 08:07 AM

Sounds like confusion with accepting funding for 2 or 3 year olds.

Anyone who is registered with what ever body, eg OFSTED, Care Inspectorate can accept vouchers and it helps the parents as they don't pay tax and NI on them.

FussyElmo
14-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Sounds like confusion with accepting funding for 2 or 3 year olds.

Anyone who is registered with what ever body, eg OFSTED, Care Inspectorate can accept vouchers and it helps the parents as they don't pay tax and NI on them.

But you dont have to be outstanding to offer the funding just meet the criteria set out by the la's.

Sound like a trainer who didnt bother to check her facts :thumbsup:

Rick
14-02-2013, 10:07 AM

I was originally told you needed a level 3 to be able to accept vouchers. :angry: That is of course wrong!

Kevin1964
14-02-2013, 10:55 AM
I found this hope it helpful

Registered childcare

Being a registered or approved childcare provider gives parents the reassurance you provide the type of childcare they’re looking for and shows your commitment to providing quality care.

Paper or electronic Childcare Vouchers can be used for the widest possible range of childcare options. In order for working parents to benefit from the Tax and National Insurance exemption they must use a registered or approved childcare provider. This means you must hold either a current registration certificate with a URN reference number or an approval certificate with an expiry date and reference number.

Registered childcare
Day Nursery
Nursery School
Childminder
Playgroup / Crèche
Pre-School
Holiday scheme
Nanny / Au pair
Out of school club
Holiday Play Scheme

Registration approval bodies
OFSTED Childcare Register - Compulsory (England)
Childcare Register - Voluntary (England)
Local Health and Social Services Trusts (Northern Ireland)
The Care Commission (Scotland)
Childcare Appoval Scheme (Wales)
The Care Standards Inspectorate (Wales)