PDA

View Full Version : Child's hygiene

Becci26
13-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi just after a bit of advice,

I look after a 10yo boy who for the last couple of weeks has been coming home from school smelling of urine. It is really really strong and makes me feel quite queasy.

I feel I should talk to him about hygiene and making sure he's not peeing all over his trousers when he goes to the toilet, but it's not really a conversation I want to be having with him tbh!!

Any suggestions on how to broach the subject/ deal with it will be greatly received.
Thanks in advance x

hectors house
13-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Have you looked after this boy for a long time or has he just recently started? - if you have looked after him a long time it seems strange that you haven't noticed it before, do you look after him during the holidays too - if so do you still notice a urine smell - could maybe something to do with rushing to use school urinals and not waiting til he has finished before doing up trousers - maybe he just doesn't like them or has a problem with bullying (can often happen in toilets)? I would maybe mention it to his mum first as I can't believe she hasn't noticed.

QualityCare
13-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I would be mentioning it to mum/dad asking if they have noticed it and if they would have a talk with him, at 10yrs old it would be very embarrassing for him to have you talk to him about it no matter how long you have looked after him.

Becci26
13-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Well that's what I thought, I'm surprised mum hasn't noticed, as it is really strong, the first day I noticed it I thought it was one of the younger children...
I've had him for almost a year now and has def only started in the last couple of weeks (although, I am pregnant so I did initially wonder if it was my dog nose but I don't think it is...)
You make some good points thankyou, and didnt think of it like that, will speak to mum.

halor
13-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Perhaps it's something medical if its only been the last couple if weeks, like someone else said bullying could be the cause. I was terribly bullied in school and I dreaded needing to use the toilets as there's no teachers there.

Hope you get it sorted.

ceegee
13-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Urine infections can give you strong smelling urine and can make you probe to leakages.
Or is he on any medication
Or ( and I know this sounds silly ) but honey based products make your urine really smelly!
Sugar puff wees make me heave!!!!

halor
13-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Urine infections can give you strong smelling urine and can make you probe to leakages.
Or is he on any medication
Or ( and I know this sounds silly ) but honey based products make your urine really smelly!
Sugar puff wees make me heave!!!!

Lol, sugar puff wee's! A reason why I don't eat them!

*daisychain*
13-02-2013, 11:38 AM
This happened five or so years back with my step son when he was similar age. He'd visit us and stay over on the weekends and as soon as he got in the car the smell would make me feel sick. The toilet would be covered in wee too. It turned out there was something wrong with his 'wee man!' And eventually had to be circumsized (sp) his foreskin was too right and his wee went everywhere , hence the smell as it went on his clothes.

waterwaybabies
14-02-2013, 12:06 PM
we had one boy at my sons primary who thought it funny to wee all over other boys using the urinal.x
hope that your young man is not being a victim of this sort of behaviour.xxx

jackie 7
14-02-2013, 01:18 PM
I looked after a boy as a nanny. He wet his bed every night he was 7/8 he also wet himself every day. When we moved to holland he wore jeans at school and was wet every day. One day I asked him if any kids said anything he said they don't notice. I said look in a mirror. He never wet himself again. He had little control in his life, had ADDHD. Parents liked permissive parenting. I got him dry at night by telling him not to worry. Last French nanny had been horrible about it. Try telling him that he is wet and has to change. Sometimes we need to point things out to children