PDA

View Full Version : Caring for a disabled child

Pedagog
26-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I have been speaking with the local connect care scheme lady today and she is very interested in recruiting me to the connect care scheme once I am a registered. Which basically providers respite for parents with a significantly disabled child.

Just wondered if any minders on here have any experience of this of similar schemes, especially if you have your own children at home still.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

angeldelight
27-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Hello

I provide respite for parents I have been on the list for about 3 years

I do get calls every so often to see if I can fit a child in for a few weeks or a few days - or even an evening

It is usually just to give mom a rest or to let mom go for appointments or just to let her have some time with the rest of the family

I can usually fit them in but other times I can not so they just ask another minder

We get sent a list every so often with all the new children on it and some of their details like how many hours they need etc - so then we can call up ourselves if we have something to offer

I would not depend on this as a main source of income though - more of an extra

Some of the children have a severe disabilty others not so bad - I do not have young children myself but I do mind young children and a disabled child always fits in much the same way anyway

Not sure what you really wanted to know but hope that helps

Angel xx

Pedagog
27-06-2008, 06:52 AM
No that's great thanks.

I have some experience with caring for disabled children, so its something I would like to do.