PDA

View Full Version : Educational software?

jadavi
13-02-2013, 06:52 AM
What are people using on PC computer for their eyfs children?

So far we have:

Knee bouncers.com (bril from six months!) subscription well worth it.
Cbeebies
Kizi
Berchet media 'baby' CDs great but old. Disc I recently bought on eBay has stopped working

I would like a good art one.plus any with good interactive engaging educational content for early years

Xx

lynncjt
13-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Can't help but will be very interested to see what the suggestions are!

Mice and Toad
13-02-2013, 09:08 AM
I use cbeebies games, my kids adore it Tumble tapp snapp, also nusery rythmes.

Was using the webcam on the numtums game once and 1 girl seemed more interested in looking at herself, so I just turned the webcam on and she sat there puliing faces at herself also changed the background and other weird things.

Looking for more ideas though.

Mobile phones are good ones that take pictures also games, I have ant smasher on mine my 2/3 years old love it, but prefer touching the waps and then they scream ouch (not the aim of the game).

jadavi
26-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Just nought two Noddy education discs from eBay but they won't load as my PC is too new!! Furious... Waste of £20 :(

gingerjames1
26-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Check out helpkidzlearn, they are owned by inclusive technology and this gives you games to trial that can be brought on cd. Disks are very expensive but if you search inclusive technology on ebay you are sometimes lucky enough to get some come up. I was very lucky as 3 years ago got a £5000 capital grant to be spent on ict, which got us a touchscreen computer with loads of programs and 3 laptops!!! Did get my original touchscreen on ebay for £120 and is still going 5 years later! Also kidzui is a good download as is a safe world for kids to surf but is american so not all uk websites work through it.

jadavi
03-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks, I just had a look - I wonder why they're so expensive?
I just bought two Noddy discs on eBay only to find out operating system is too new to load them ! Anyone know what you can download to get round this problem?

blue bear
03-03-2013, 07:32 AM
We have the noddy discs too, luckily only paid £1 for mine. We have a Dora game that works ok on the new computer and a very old sesame street game with an art programme on one o the discs.
Ive found all mine at home use laptops or touch screen and struggle to use a mouse here, little bys plays tab k trouble, really simple game where you chase each other round and shoot, not violent at all, just little squares that are tanks but it does promote mouse and keyboard skills and appeals to all different ages, it's a free game online.

jadavi
05-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Thanks blue bear I'll try that one.

jadavi
05-03-2013, 05:38 AM
How do you get this game? Nothing coming up on google...

migimoo
05-03-2013, 10:45 AM
We use 'Early Years World' online, think it's about £40-50 a year for CM's...all of my LO's love it and even the 14mnth old has a go as it has ages and stages-from basic 'move the mouse and stars appear' and,painting to phonics,matching,counting.

You can print out certs and sheets for LJ's and Parents in Partnership forms so LO's can re-do an activity with mum or dad at home using a code.

jadavi
06-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Thanks! Can't wait to try this!
Anyone know any more free online ones?

jadavi
06-03-2013, 06:12 PM
My kids did like this but I wonder if it's w bit samey

jadavi
10-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Yes stamp of approval from here! Thanks :)

bunyip
11-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Personally, I'd prefer the children to have no pc time whatsoever. I give them an absolute minimum to satisfy EYFS and parental hang-ups. The older ones are allowed to use it for homework only. Even by age 7-8 they are so addicted and savvy that I have to watch over them constantly. If I so much as get up to go to the loo, I come back to find them playing games or on some 'social nework' ("It's OK - Mum lets me" Well this Bunyip doesn't so log off and get back to being a child. :mad: )

There are far better ways of learning and enjoying childhood than encouraging an early addiction to screens. :)

jackie 7
11-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi so glad I am not the only one who doesn't let the children use the computer Veblen though mine are around 2 one uses it lots. I t is not just computers. There are other ways to satisfy ofsted and I am going to get myself organised into finding ways to do this. I have phone sand wind up torch but I need other ideas. There are uses for say YouTube but only if I have checked it out first. I have an old laptop that I am going to get cleaned up and if I have to let the children play games they will use it and it is not wireless.

Little Puddings
11-03-2013, 12:04 PM
I have a very old laptop that I very rarely get out for the little ones, not even each month... I don't have the tv on either if I can avoid it. I allow tv after the evening meal once toys have been put away and usually in the last 30min or so of my working day.
I do occasionally let the children have a go on my old Asus tablet but only under supervision.

Jayse74
11-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I found this recently, has alot of foundation stage stuff. Colour sorting, math, shape games etc:

Crickweb | Early Years (http://www.crickweb.co.uk/Early-Years.html)

:)

jadavi
28-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Just discovered thomas and friends have a lovely free website - games songs videos... Really good :)

JulieA
29-03-2013, 07:10 AM
I have an I pad which I have downloaded some games and colouring apps onto in a special children's folder. However, it is rarely used. I have one pre-schooler at the moment and she gets about half an hour a week when she gets to use it. This is quiet time when all the others are sleeping just before we do the afternoon school run. It is one to one time where we discuss what is happening and I guide her through. Other than that our ICT consists of kiddizoom cameras which are freely accessible, old mobiles, home phones, keyboard. There is also a CD player, and mp3 player the children can access, but kept high enough so it doesn't get damaged.