PDA

View Full Version : School age children in your numbers

jax clinch
13-02-2013, 06:34 AM
I am starting this thread as a highlight to other child minders. I have learnt the hard way!!!!! Up until recently I wasn't aware that your own children count in your under 8 numbers even though they are at school full time. I have 4 children, 9 year old (who doesn't count) 7, 6 and 4 year old. I knew the 4 year old counted in my numbers regardless of her being at pre school or not and I knew the 6 and 7 year old counted in my numbers before and after school but not whilst they were at school.....but they are counted even when at school. I hope if anyone is making this mistake innocently like I was that you don't have a vindictive childminder near you who reports you to ofsted!!!!

helengreen13
13-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Hi, I have a 9, 7 and 5 year old and yes I knew they counted in my numbers but what I don't understand is you have the 3 eyfs children you are allowed within your ratios, with not more than 1 being under 1 year of age,so how was it affecting you with the older school age children as all children tha age would be in school during the day and you can't transfer categories? Have I got this right? I'm sure someone will be able to explain more adequately what I am trying to say x

vickylou
13-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Basically you were able to take 2 children under 5 and one child over 5. I have always been under the impression that your own children remain in your numbers whether they are in school or not. The only time this doesn't apply is if your 4 year old was attending 10 nursery sessions a week, but they are then classed as a 'rising 5' which means they then become a part of your 5-8 ratios.

I think the reasoning behind this is what if your child's school closes or your child is ill, this is the reason I charge parents whilst their child is in nursery if I drop lo off and pick up, as the place needs to be available if for some reason nursery is closed. It's very hard when your own children are younger and come into your ratios as obviously they are taking up places you can't earn from. My children are now older but youngest who is 12 still has to be counted into my overall numbers stated on my insurance.