PDA

View Full Version : Boiler service cover

sprinkles
11-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Who do you use and how much does it cost?

I'm looking at it just now. I can get it with British Gas for £9 a month but that's with a £99 excess, it does include annual service though. It goes up to £13.50 if the excess is £50.

wendywu
11-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Im with British Gas but my cover is for the boiler and the complete central heating system and plumbing. It covers all parts and labour and has no excess. Its 24.99 per month :)

lubeam
11-02-2013, 09:27 PM
I use to sell boiler care for e-on and british gases ability to come out and sort you out if something goes wrong is second to none! They have bad stuff and good stuff like and company but they respond on average quicker to a break down than most, so it's your call. How old is your boiler ?! What make is it?! What type of boiler is it?!

sprinkles
11-02-2013, 09:41 PM
I use to sell boiler care for e-on and british gases ability to come out and sort you out if something goes wrong is second to none! They have bad stuff and good stuff like and company but they respond on average quicker to a break down than most, so it's your call. How old is your boiler ?! What make is it?! What type of boiler is it?!

It's a worcester combi boiler, it was only put in less than a month ago.

lubeam
11-02-2013, 10:12 PM
It takes on average 3 years for limescale to build up and only above 57c , your boiler is pretty generic ( that's a good things parts don't cost as much ) so maybe save the money for 5 years then if anything goes you've got it there and then take boiler cover ?! I've had my boiler 7 years and its 'broke' twice, once from over pressurising ( DH :) ) and once from limescale in the filler pipe. £10 pipe 10 mins to change cost £50 !
Everyone's different , personally I'd set up a standing order for 15 a month to savings , then in 5 years take out a policy and enjoy your £900 savings :) HTH ?! Steph

sprinkles
11-02-2013, 10:37 PM
It takes on average 3 years for limescale to build up and only above 57c , your boiler is pretty generic ( that's a good things parts don't cost as much ) so maybe save the money for 5 years then if anything goes you've got it there and then take boiler cover ?! I've had my boiler 7 years and its 'broke' twice, once from over pressurising ( DH :) ) and once from limescale in the filler pipe. £10 pipe 10 mins to change cost £50 !
Everyone's different , personally I'd set up a standing order for 15 a month to savings , then in 5 years take out a policy and enjoy your £900 savings :) HTH ?! Steph

I've been told by my inspector I need to have an annual service contract in place so that's the only reason I was looking at them, hence going for the cheapest option.

lubeam
11-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I've been told by my inspector I need to have an annual service contract in place so that's the only reason I was looking at them, hence going for the cheapest option.

that i no nothing about ! sorry :panic:

rickysmiths
11-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Are you in Scotland or Wales? If you are in England you don't have to have a care plan in place or have an annual service. If an inspector has told you you have to they are wrong. Though it is a good idea to have your boiler checked over regularly and have a carbon monoxide alarm. My boiler and central heating system are only two years old so I have not got a plan in place at the moment, I do have the numbers of two good and qualified gas engineers though!

sprinkles
12-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Are you in Scotland or Wales? If you are in England you don't have to have a care plan in place or have an annual service. If an inspector has told you you have to they are wrong. Though it is a good idea to have your boiler checked over regularly and have a carbon monoxide alarm. My boiler and central heating system are only two years old so I have not got a plan in place at the moment, I do have the numbers of two good and qualified gas engineers though!

I'm in Scotland. I did tell her it wasn't even a month old and that our plumber is corgi registered but she said I have to have an annual service contract in place to become registered.

Tazmin68
12-02-2013, 07:57 AM
I am in England and I was told by an inspector that I showed good practice by having an up to date gas safe certificate. I just get my own gas man to service it each year.

jackie 7
12-02-2013, 09:05 AM
As a tennant the lsnflord has to do a gas safety certificate but now that I think about it I never got a copy. Must ask for it.

rickysmiths
12-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I am in England and I was told by an inspector that I showed good practice by having an up to date gas safe certificate. I just get my own gas man to service it each year.

Is this for a house you own or rent? If you rent your landlord needs on but if it is your own home it is not required and an Ofsted inspector can not make you get one or make any comment about it on a report. It is good practice to have all gas appliances serviced every year yes, but even that is not compulsory under EYFS.

Tazmin68
12-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi

I own my own house. The inspector just passed comment that she was glad to see it.

lynncjt
12-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm in Scotland. I did tell her it wasn't even a month old and that our plumber is corgi registered but she said I have to have an annual service contract in place to become registered.

I'm interested in this as I registered in Scotland last year and my inspector never even asked me about my boiler! I may ask my DO about this and see what she says.

lizduncan72
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm in Scotland and have never been asked about this in 9 years!!

sprinkles
12-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Bit strange then!! Can anyone recommend who I can ask for a second opinion?