Two daily Sixty minute visits £14.00

Three daily Sixty Minute Visits £10.50

Me thinks I am in the wrong job:panic:

silvermist
11-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Good grief! Me too! :eek:

Daisy De
11-02-2013, 06:18 PM
I looked into this a short while ago but after talking to a few people I know in this area we are saturated with dog walkers/pet care firms and there just isn't enough work to go round. One lady I know left her job at the vets to set up a business but she couldn't make it work and another who spent a fortune on advertising still cannot make it pay.

There are also quite a few Doggy Day Care Centres around here, its big business but you had to be in it at the start when it was a novelty.The best ones have built up a good reputation and client base, anyone new seems to struggle.

Bit like childminding really, supply and demand and it takes time to build up a good reputation.

AliceK
11-02-2013, 06:24 PM
I have a dog walker. She walks my 2 dogs for 2 x 1hr sessions per week and I pay her £26. She charges £9 per hr for the first dog and £4 per hr for the 2nd dog. She's only started up recently and already she's built up a good client base. She's also a dog behaviourist.

xxx

MessybutHappy
11-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Really - I would be paid more to walk a dog than look after a baby?? How wrong is that?? I knew we were badly paid as a profession, but this takes the (dog) biscuit.

I'm off to have a glass of wine. It took me an hour 1/2 to earn the money to buy bottle. May not take as long to polish it off!!!

Koala
11-02-2013, 08:05 PM
WOW

Do dog walkers have to be registered?
Trained?
Inspected?
Insured?
Wipe poop, sick and food up off the carpets and their funishings - Daily?
Provide equipment?
Observe and asses behaviour?
Plan learning activity?
bla de bla de bla.............

Get where i'm going???

thills
11-02-2013, 08:09 PM
It's beyond a joke really isn't it. Maybe I will retrain! Haha

Koala
11-02-2013, 08:38 PM
That's the thing thills, I don't think you need to re train!?

mushpea
11-02-2013, 08:59 PM
wow and think how fit we'd all be, I did actutally look in to this before childminding but my kids where little and didnt think it was fair on them,, wonder if you could do it as a sort of side line, walking them in the evenings or weekends

thills
11-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Charge more if u have some kind of training though! Haha

chezzagriff
11-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Thats madness!!!!!! People on the night shift in Asda get more too. Infact I wouldnt be surprised if the till workers do aswell :(

singingcactus
12-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Round here our dog walker charges 4.50 for 30 minutes, 5.00 for 45, and 5.50 for 60 minutes. I don't think I could tolerate spending my waking life walking dogs. It would get soooo boring, and really miserable on freezing rainy days, and would be hell on really hot days.

FussyElmo
12-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Singingcactus I agree todays jobs are.

8am-9am walk dogs collect pooh.
930-10.30 walk dogs collect pooh.
11-12.00 walk dogs collect pooh

And so on and so.

Mmm I love my dogs very much and I like walking them unless I make dh do it :D But would i want to do it all day not on your life.

thills
12-02-2013, 06:43 AM
I've done night shift at asda, it's ****** hard work and soul sapping! I was lucky the team I work with are amazing and the only thing that got me thru it! I wood rather have a job I love and b paid less :) even with all the paperwork etc

chezzagriff
12-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Yes definitely I would rather wake up in the morning and look forward to doing my job. 2 of my cousins work the night shift at Asda and said its boring they just stock shelves and get to have a laugh, literally get paid for doing nothing. Maybe they are just lazy and not doing their jobs properly then.ha ha. I would hate to work the night shift anywhere but was just using that as an example. I would also hate to have a job that requires me to be out in the open in all weathers all day!

AliceK
12-02-2013, 08:24 AM
I've done night shift at asda, it's ****** hard work and soul sapping! I was lucky the team I work with are amazing and the only thing that got me thru it! I wood rather have a job I love and b paid less :) even with all the paperwork etc

So did I, many years ago. I worked for George clothing dept night shift :).

xxx

thills
12-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I did fruit and veg. Got me nice and toned arms though :)

Ripeberry
12-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I used to do home care before childminding. They paid £8 an hour with 30p mileage on top. But it was very stressful job and they were on your back constantly, even on your days off. It was that bad they had to bribe workers to do extra shifts with £100 bonuses. But some people might have worked over 60 hrs that week already. Some places I had to visit were scary and we had to carry personal alarms.
I think I'll stick to CM for now.