PDA

View Full Version : Spd, what to do...

Becci26
11-02-2013, 02:17 PM
I just don't know what to do for the best...

I am 15weeks pg and already suffering quite badly with spd, the way it's going it looks like I will be on crutches within a few weeks :-(

Went out yesterday with hubby to do a bit of shopping and by the end of it was in so much pain and could barely walk. I was almost in tears with the pain it was unbearable.

So I need to start thinking realistically about how I am going to carry on working.
I am struggling moving around and getting down on the floor to play with the lo's and am starting to think that I can not fulfil the lo's needs as well as I should be.

I really think I should give notice to the parents of all the lo's but could prob still keep the schoolies on.
I am feeling totally gutted as I have got such lovely relationships with them and I really hoped I would be able to work until the end of the summer term.
Money will be a major issue too as obv income will be massively reduced.

Or am I jumping the gun and should hang on and see how it progresses?!

Feeling very sad and confused about the whole thing :-(

AliceK
11-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Oh I really feel for you. I had SPD with my DD, the pain is awful, I still get it mildly now 5yrs later. I would say it will only get worse as your pregnancy progresses. Can you be referred for some physio, it helped me slightly. I guess it depends on how old your LO's are. Are they babies / young toddlers or older 3 / 4yrs. I don't know what to suggest for the best but sending you hugs :group hug:

xx

Becci26
11-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Hmmm, I had it with my dd (although it's only now that i realise that is what it was!) and had probs up until a couple of years ago (she'll be 9 in May!) so as u say it will only get worse - which is what I'm afraid of :-/

I look after 17 months, 21 months, 25 months, 3 yrs and 4 yrs (not altogether obvs!). As well as the school children

They are all walkers but the youngest 2 go in the buggy for school run etc, and need lifting at times although I have managed to cut most of that out.

Going to talk to h about it tonight but think I might speak to the parents and suggest they start seriously looking at alternative plans as soon as poss...

samsstars
12-02-2013, 12:25 PM
You poor thing :-( I had it with my second son and like Alice still suffer mildly nearly 8 years on.
I struggled with just my own 3 year old son back then, I wouldn't of been able to childmind that's for sure. Good luck with your decision making, a very tuff position for you to be in x

Becci26
12-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks, spoke to hubby last night and he had been thinking the same as me...

So I have decided to speak to all my parents of the under 5's as I see them this week, explain the situation and ask that they find alternative child care as soon as possible. I will carry in minding until they can sort alternative arrangements but will appreciate them doing so sooner rather than later.
Spoke to 1 mum today who was amazing and as lo is going to his Nan she will finish at the end of this month.

A hard and sad decision but one that needed to be made unfortunately :-(

RuthJ
12-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Oh, you poor thing :) I had SPD with my DS and it was excruciating, and I still suffer from time to time now though relatively bearable.

It was before I was childminding but I can't even imagine being able to cm with spd, and like you said, if it's bad now it's only going to get worse. I think you've made the right decision, though hard for you.

Will your hospital fit a support belt for you?

Hope you're not suffering too much x

Becci26
12-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Yes I have been fitted with a belt (via physio at gp as hospital refuse to see u until at least 16 weeks) but doesn't seem to be making a huge amount of difference,
am going to try and get swimming more frequently in the hope that some gentle exercise will help.
Have got my next midwife appt on Monday so I will speak to her about it and see if she can come up with any suggestions that may help too

RuthJ
12-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Yes I have been fitted with a belt (via physio at gp as hospital refuse to see u until at least 16 weeks) but doesn't seem to be making a huge amount of difference,
am going to try and get swimming more frequently in the hope that some gentle exercise will help.
Have got my next midwife appt on Monday so I will speak to her about it and see if she can come up with any suggestions that may help too

I never got the belt because my midwife said they didn't help much and they were quite restrictive. Hope you have a positive appointment - swimming is supposed to be really good for it.

lubeam
12-02-2013, 09:49 PM
my physio suggested i change my hip position. ie. i hunched forward so they straightened me up. i felt like i wash shoving my hips forward but it really helped me to walk and stand.
i wasnt minding but think your doing the best thing for you. hope it doesnt get too bad :( much sympathy xxxx
ps the belt helped too x

MrsP2C
12-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I had this with both my boys and the biggest issue 2nd time round was pushing a buggy - turning a corner (I guess it's the natural pivot you would do) would literally bring tears to my eyes so I think you've done the right thing.

Best advice I can give you is sack off the physio and seek out a really good Osteopath NOW. Months & months of post natal physio did nothing for me 1st time round but Osteopath worked miracles and I don't ever suffer now despite being on crutches at the end of my pregnancy.

Becci26
13-02-2013, 07:29 AM
my physio suggested i change my hip position. ie. i hunched forward so they straightened me up. i felt like i wash shoving my hips forward but it really helped me to walk and stand.
i wasnt minding but think your doing the best thing for you. hope it doesnt get too bad :( much sympathy xxxx
ps the belt helped too x

Funny, I found this yesterday! I was walking to the shop and found if i held myself "properly" it eased off slightly. Feels a bit unnatural but sure I'll soon get used to it :-)

Becci26
13-02-2013, 07:36 AM
I had this with both my boys and the biggest issue 2nd time round was pushing a buggy - turning a corner (I guess it's the natural pivot you would do) would literally bring tears to my eyes so I think you've done the right thing.

Best advice I can give you is sack off the physio and seek out a really good Osteopath NOW. Months & months of post natal physio did nothing for me 1st time round but Osteopath worked miracles and I don't ever suffer now despite being on crutches at the end of my pregnancy.

Thankyou, I have been a bit reluctant to spend money on an osteopath or the like as when it was bad post pregnancy with dd I spent out a lot of money with an osteopath and the pain was only being managed - i was having an appointment every 2-3 weeks for about a year - and it really didn't make much difference at all.
I will take a look at what's available here as in a different area now

Tazmin68
13-02-2013, 07:41 AM
I had it for the last three months of my second pregnancy. It sounds daft but it was easier when I was pushing s buggy that when not using one. I also had carpal tunnel syndrome which really annoyed me. Ds2 was 6weeks early so I suppose I really had it from about 20 weeks. I just muddled through until I had him.

lubeam
13-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Glad it helped becci :) hope your doin ok ?!

Becci26
13-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Just thought I'd let u know I have booked an appt to see an osteopath on Saturday, spoke. To the midwife who is going to refer me to the hospital physio too. And has recommended I see gp about getting some painkillers as paracetamol doesn't touch the sides!
Feeling a bit more positive this morning :-)