PDA

View Full Version : colour coded chopping boards - environmental health

vix84
11-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi, when environmental health come do you think they will want to see red for meat, or can I decide whatever colour code I want ...... I got a pack of boards in green, yellow, white and blue and 2 knifes in blue and green as I couldn't get red ...... so was going to use blue and green for raw meat and fish ...

Anything else apart from fridge/freezer temps/food probe/shelves in certain order in the fridge?

Thanks

Little Puddings
11-02-2013, 12:31 PM
I had an inspection from my local council last year, she never asked about the chopping boards but they were in a rack on the work top. She used her own probe/themometer to check fridge temperature and just had a quick look around. She looked through my answers in the Safer food, better business for child minders and asked some questions. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be and I got rated 5 out of 5 :-)

AliceK
11-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't go by their colours. I have a red one with pics of tomatoes on which I use for fruit and veg, a plain green one which is for meat and a wooden one which is for bread. They didn't even pay any attention to any of that tbh.

xxx

Greengrass74
11-02-2013, 12:49 PM
When they visited us, they were really keen to speak about what procedure for cleaning down the worktops and what materials we used. They told us to use disposable antibacterial wipes or a spray, but not bleach as it taints the food. I would also make sure you don't have any house plants in the kitchen as some inspectors don't like them in food prep areas.

Like Alicek said they were not bothered about the colour of chopping boards.

vix84
11-02-2013, 01:02 PM
ok great, will take them out of the wrapping then. We don't have house plants, keeping the children fed and watered is time consuming enough! I use antibacterial spray with a clean cloth each time and spray some on kitchen roll to clean the probe.

chezzagriff
11-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Im so glad I saw this thread. I have them coming out on Wednesday. I have completed my safer food book, I have a fridge thermometer, colour coded chopping boards, anti bac spray, big pack of clean cloths, kitchen roll and I am going to asda to get a food probe today but their one is plastic is this ok? or does it have to be stainless steel? I do plan on getting a stainless steel one but at the moment the plastic ones a lot cheaper. Also do you have to have an apron and a cooler bag or can I get them at a later date?

vix84
11-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Not sure about the plastic, mine is stainless steel but wouldn't have thought they would sell it as plastic if it wasn't any good?
No idea about the apron either ...... I reckon they would give you a kind recommendation if you didn't use them, they must know that childminders don't have as much info as nurseries etc. What would you need a cooler bag for? Outings? Didn't even think about that but yes I have a few of them and ice blocks in the freezer already too

jackie 7
11-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Check on line got to probe. I uses itmohe more than I ever thought I would.

chezzagriff
11-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I am going to get a stainless steel one just there a lot dearer so need to have some sort of income first.lol. Yes the cooler bag is for outings. It mentioned it in the safer food book so didnt know if they check. Like you said though Im sure if there is something I dont have and its a requirement as long as I have 99% of the correct things and show I know how to store and prepare food safely they will let me know.