PDA

View Full Version : How long do I keep space open if parents have reduced their hours?

Little Puddings
11-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Hi, this is my first ever post on this forum...
I have a parent who was working fulltime with a works contract ending the 15th of Feb but was hoping to extend it. However just over a week ago she left work and has dropped down to one day a week.

For the last two weeks I have had a short term placement for the jobcentre while mum was on a course and she has now got a job and would like me to have her little one as he settled so well, she has got a final interview this week and I have said once she has her hours and starting date I will see what I can do for her. If the other mum has not got a new job yet how long do I give her until I give her space to someone else??

Thanks S :-)

<note from admin - edited to remove possibly identifying information>

mushpea
11-02-2013, 10:22 AM
From experience I would take on the new one, I have unintentionaly kept days open for a year now as no one else has wanted the space and parent has not increased days, but I could have potentialy list out on a years income. Also if the other parent does want the days back after the other one has started you could do a variation for continity of care

dette
11-02-2013, 10:30 AM
From experience I would take on the new one, I have unintentionaly kept days open for a year now as no one else has wanted the space and parent has not increased days, but I could have potentialy list out on a years income. Also if the other parent does want the days back after the other one has started you could do a variation for continity of care

thats what i was going to say :)

chezzagriff
11-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Yes definitely take on the new child as you can do a variation as mentioned and also you dont want to start keeping places open to find out there not needed but then you have lost out on another child starting. As Ive always said people do this job as they love working with children but at the same time you do have to think about your income :D

Little Puddings
11-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks,
At the minute I have technically space for both but I have already agreed to take a baby on next month where both parents are in permanent jobs whereas the mum who has reduced her hours started off as agency then just a 3mth contract.
I was sharing the care with another minder as currently I don't work school hours on Mon & Fri as I'm in my final year of my Masters and the other minder have told mum if someone else needs the space she will fill it and mum is ok.

I have just had a 3 yr old start nursery so hours down from 19.5 to 9 (another issue) and then the 2 year old reduce his (and older brother) hours from 40 to 6....

I am fortunate enough that my husband earns enough to support us but I'd like to actually earn some money too.