PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of nappy bags..

lucyD
11-02-2013, 09:13 AM
On a busy day I dispose of nappy bag by chucking it out of the back door rather than going out & placing it in wheely bin!! This is so I do not leave the little ones alone. I change nappy, wipe hands with baby wipe & then use anti-bac gel rather than wash hands too so that Ido not have to leave them. My question is, is this OK? or would you do it differently? Is it ok (by Ofsted) that nappy bags are outside back door rather than in bin, and that I dont actually wash hands. I do then place them in the bin at an appropriate time..i.e when they are napping or all up at the table for snack etc

Would appreciate your thoughts & how you do it.....:)

vikkit
11-02-2013, 09:18 AM
To be honest I'm not really sure but I've moved my bin to my back door so that I can just pop out and put in the bin x

FussyElmo
11-02-2013, 09:27 AM
My bin is right next to the back door too.

I wash my los hands like you do - to me its easier than getting them to a sink.

migimoo
11-02-2013, 09:31 AM
I pop mine outside my door too as my wheelie bins are at the end of my garden. Then I just put them in the main bin when LO's are asleep or we are on our way out.

hectors house
11-02-2013, 09:33 AM
I have a small pedal bin in my downstairs loo specially for putting nappies in - I have never had a problem with older children who use toilet independently playing with the bin. Could you get a small bin to put just outside back door, so you can pick them up and dispose of easily and to make it easier to tidy up garden if children play outside?

chezzagriff
11-02-2013, 10:56 AM
I have a small pedal bin just outside of my back door. I have the tiniest yard so it never gets used apart from if there was an emergency evacuation and the front door was blocked. When all of the children have gone I then empty it into the wheely bin. As for hand washing I use a seperate flanel each and anti bac gel for the little ones and the older children use soap and water in the bathroom.

Daisy De
11-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I open my back door and throw them at the wheelie bin, I'm a very good shot! :D Then later I go out and pop them in the actual bin.

No children ever go out in this area so I don't see it as a problem.

WibbleWobble
11-02-2013, 11:59 AM
i throw mine through the cat flap....

then pick them up at the end of the day

wibble x

(cats are too old now to use the flap very often - we have to push it open or open the door for them to go out)

silvermist
11-02-2013, 12:02 PM
I have a small bin outside my back door which i use then i transfer them to the wheelie bin at the end of the day.

I do know a childminder who actually sends dirty nappies home with the mindees for the parents to dispose of so her bin doesnt get smelly!!!!:eek:

I dont think the parents would be too happy if i handed them a bag of poop to take home!:panic:

nipper
11-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Be careful, I think someone on here does that...:panic:

lucyD
11-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks for replies. Glad it seems like others do similar, I would not want a bin in the loo as to honest they do smell but I may get a little bin for outside the door. I guess as long as you explain what you do & why I dont see why it would be an issue...thanks

silvermist
11-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Be careful, I think someone on here does that...:panic:

Each to their own. We all do things which work best for us.

I was just saying my los parents wouldnt be very happy with it.:)

MaffAnna
11-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I have a bucket outside just under the window, next to where I change the nappies. Just empty it at the end of the day or whenever we go out to play in the garden.

chriss
11-02-2013, 12:33 PM
After changing a nappy I would imaginrne that for hygeine reasons we should wash our hands with soap and water. I dont think a wet wipe and anti bac would be as effective, but correct me if I am wrong :)

AliceK
11-02-2013, 12:37 PM
After changing a nappy I would imaginrne that for hygeine reasons we should wash our hands with soap and water. I dont think a wet wipe and anti bac would be as effective, but correct me if I am wrong :)

I always use gloves to do a nappy change so I use gel afterwards but only to get rid of the smell of the gloves on my hands which I hate. I don't wash my hands as I can't see the point.

xxx

chriss
11-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Are we not supposed to wear gloves ? Surely they do in nursery so why is it differetn if a child is in your home ? In nursing homes/hospitals they wear gloves when coming into contact with body fluids so I would think its best practice to do the same. Does anyone know the rules on this please ?

moggy
11-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Are we not supposed to wear gloves ? Surely they do in nursery so why is it differetn if a child is in your home ? In nursing homes/hospitals they wear gloves when coming into contact with body fluids so I would think its best practice to do the same. Does anyone know the rules on this please ?

There is no rule, it is personal choice. I do not wear then, don't like them, find them too clinical for a home situation and hate the waste (I try to be as eco-friendly as I can). But if you want to that is fine. I wash my hands in the cloakroom next to where I change nappies.

nipper
11-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Since starting childminding I have started using gloves for dirty nappies (only one hand). I also wipe down changing mat with anti-bac, take out nappy bag and then wash hands using soap and water. I used to have a colleague (teacher) who was seriously obsessed by anti-bac gel, so much so she used to wear a little bottle clipped to her waistband. Never used to wash her hands after using the toilet, just used that. Gulp!

Tinkerbell1979
11-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I bought a lidded bucket that I leave outside my back door then at the end of the day bag up and put in wheelie bin.

As for hand washing, I use gloves then just used the gel stuff. Had ofsted two weeks ago and she never commented, gave me good in all areas :-)

lisbet
11-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Apologies for barging onto the thread :o but I'm waiting for first mindee to come along and had been planning to keep a small pedal bin for nappies in the downstairs loo, and then empty into the wheelie bin (at the end of the path near the kersbide) whenever we were going out to groups/ school run.

Is keeping a nappy bin inside frowned upon by Ofsted/ environmental health, or is it just too stinky?!

Rubybubbles
11-02-2013, 01:02 PM
My nappys go home

they are in reusables:laughing:

I try and change nappies in the downstairs toilet so I can ahem 'plop the poop' into the loo and flush, wash my hands at same time. Not all my children are in reusables the ones that aren't I pop the nappy outside the loo window which ends up next to the black bin (which is infact green lol)

Oh I wear gloves!

greanan
11-02-2013, 01:05 PM
I have one of them nappy bins that you twust in my bathroom. Think it may be a tommy tippee one?? They all go into it then emptied into outside bin every other day

TAZ
11-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I too place nappies just outside the backdoor then take them round to the wheelie bin at a convenient moment. I do like the idea of a small bin outside the backdoor though (I even have one that would be perfect) - why havn't I done this before?????:blush:

jackie 7
11-02-2013, 02:22 PM
I change nappies in bathroom I live in a flAt so no upstairs. I put them in a bag and tie shut. Wear gloves for dirty ones and wash my hands even if I have worn gloves. I heard of some place that collects nappies for disposal. A green company I think they make power from them. If I get s house I will try them.

Daisy De
11-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I too place nappies just outside the backdoor then take them round to the wheelie bin at a convenient moment. I do like the idea of a small bin outside the backdoor though (I even have one that would be perfect) - why havn't I done this before?????:blush:

Thats why this forum is such a great help isn't it :laughing: Sometimes we already have all the necessary equipment, skills or ideas we just haven't actually realised it until someone says something on here, then the penny drops :D

dette
11-02-2013, 02:46 PM
i throw mine through the cat flap....

then pick them up at the end of the day

wibble x

(cats are too old now to use the flap very often - we have to push it open or open the door for them to go out)

lol this must look so funny from the outside

lucyD
11-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Fab posts (glad I started the thread now) Yes I also wear gloves so think for me baby wipe & antic bac will be ok. Thanks for your thoughts x