PDA

View Full Version : Dairy intolerant menu

magic-hours
10-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Heya, I have just had a child signed up who is dairy intolerant.
Child is 6months old, so aswel as dairy free, child is in the early stages of weaning. Milk free formula is supplied, but child has no interest in it. Other than veg and fruit purees what can I supply? (I provide all meals throughout the day).
If anyone can supply me with a menu or a few ideas that would be fab. ") x

sharonmanc
10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
my little one i care for I had from 4 months she is 18 months now, and has grown out of the intolerance. I basically cooked all fresh fruit and veg, she baby led weaned, so was easier, chicken strips, veg sticks, etc she absolutely adores fruit and vegetables. She basically had the same food as we did but with no milk or salt added, soups and casseroles were great during weaning

I bought a dairy free spread for toast , crumpets etc, also malt loaf when she got older, the apple one is milk free. have a goggle search of dairy free weaning, lots will pop up.

Now i don.t provide food for children under 12 months, as It was so time consuming making fresh weaning foods

QualityCare
10-02-2013, 09:38 PM
At 6mths baby will only be having small amounts of cereal/rice these can be brought milk free and then mixed with the formula provided or water, have you discussed the type of feeding parents want jars or home made, once baby is needing more than breakfast introduce lunch all meals can be prepared dairy free using baby's own formula, l suggest you sit down with the parents and find out exactly how they want their baby fed and on what. Some babies grow out of milk intolerance by a year, was he diagnosed by a doctor, what has dr or health visitor suggested about weaning.

jackie 7
10-02-2013, 11:49 PM
I won't provide food untilt eating the same food as others. About 1 then any allergies should have appeared.

blue bear
11-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Use baby milk to make a white sauce, you can add it to tuna, chicken, pasta, make a great way of getting milk into lo as well as making regular food softer.
Make your own custard and chocolate pudding using baby milk, make jelly half water half any milk.
Lots of biscuits are dairy free, you can buy dairy free cheese, cheese spread, cream, butter (pure) from the chiller in most big super,arrest, they also do a dairy free shelf range.

Stick to loaves of bread in packets nit the fresh stuff as they often glaze with milk before cooking.

hectors house
11-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Is the baby allergic to milk or just to lactose in the milk - if it is just to lactose then you can buy milk products that have had the lactose removed and they taste just the same as normal milk - I buy soya or lactose free yoghurts and desserts for one of my mindees. I mostly cook from scratch all meals anyway, so know what is in them - mostly meat and vegetables, pasta and tomato sauces (rather than cheese sauces). My mindee can tolerate small amounts of dairy so he does have butter in his sandwiches, but you can buy soya spreads. Some of the alternative products generally found in the "free from" section of supermarkets can be much more expensive, so I would tell the parents that they will have to pay more for their childs meals or supply you with some of the products like "butter" spread.

RuthJ
11-02-2013, 08:29 AM
One of my mindees has a milk protein allergy so he's Ok with eggs but can't have cheese, butter, milk, yogurt. He's also allergic to soya.

He doesn't really have much different to the others though really. I use PURE dairy free spread as a butter/marg substitute and also bake with this and it's fine and also means he's not excluded from baking activities. Examples of food he has are:

Cereal (cheerios/weetabix/ready brek) mixed with fruit pot
Fresh fruit & veg
Rice cakes
Organix snacks - you can get these in the baby section but I would ask parents to provide as they're quite expensive.
Toast
Fruit bread
Pasta
Rice
Casserole / stew

You get used to it really quickly and it's nothing to worry about. I don't provide meals for under 1's and the parents lead the weaning process.

lubeam
11-02-2013, 10:09 AM
my daughter is cows milk protein intolerant. she hated the prescription milk. it looks funny smellys funny and tastes funny ! i couldnt blame her. you just have to keep trying they get use to it eventually. i just made all the same stuff i did for my sons just with out butter and milk. you can use the baby milk instead of normal milk if you need to but it tastes nasty so try to make stuff with out it. be carful some bread has milk powder in it. i started making my own. rich T biscuits dont have milk in nor do rusks or baby rice :) shes 13 months now and is now eating cooked dairy but nothing with too much in . its a pain when cooking for other kids/people so prehaps ask mum you'd prefer her to make her food to be on the safe side. :laughing: hth?!

magic-hours
14-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks for your advise.
Mum suggested just pureed veggies, which is fine, but I feel its a tad boring for her. She has brekki before she comes to me, so its just the snacks and lunch I need to provide. But she is fed on demand, and as she is refusing her formula, I want to have some back up solids ideas as I dont want her going hungry.
Mum did suggest supplying food, but I said as I include foods within my prices I am happy to give it a go.
Baby is also intolerant to soy, so the soy options are out of the question.. I am also intolerant to soy milk.
Think I will just stick with fresh veggies ")
Thanks everyone x