PDA

View Full Version : Variation?

JoRo163
10-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Help needed!!

I care for a 4 year old mon- fri, a 2 year old ( was mon - fri but reduced their days to a weds/fri & another 2 year old whose parents do shift work, so may attend 1-3 days a week tues/thur/fri.

So when the 2 year old gave notice to reduce hours, I filled the space with an 11m old, on the 3 days he wouldn't be attending. Well, now the arrangements have changed and they want me to continue caring for him full time. This will bring me to 4 under 5's, on some days. Some weeks not at all, but others their may be one or two days which are affected, for as little as an hour or sometimes the whole day.

Can I grant myself a variation for this, providing I have fully risk assessed and consulted parents? This would only be for term time, up until June, when the 4 year old moves on.

Any advice welcomed, not had to do a variation before so want to get it right. Thank you!

chezzagriff
10-02-2013, 08:53 PM
I was told on my registration visit 2 weeks ago that you can providing you can prove that you are capable of providing the same quality of care with the extra child. So risk assessments, planning etc.

TAZ
10-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Yes,you can do a variation for this as the child taking you over your numbers is the 2yr old who is increasing his hours again therefore continuity of care.
Make sure you keep the paperwork from his parents re reducing hours prior to you taking on the 11month old so that you would be able to demonstrate that as far as you were concerned he would only be attending Weds/Fri when you signed the contract with 11 month old's parents, and then requested to continue with full time again after you signed contract with the 11 month old's parents

Stace
10-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Hi - as has previously been said - yes you can, on the basis of continuity of care.

Just make sure you inform the parents, maybe get them to sign something for the record - risk assess - do fire drill as change in numbers - I used the original Ofsted variation form and completed that for the file - you can list the equipment you have so an inspector can see that you have thought about it.

Just think about how you will deal with different situations and make sure you have the equipment to help you.

hope that helps - sure someone else will come up with something more useful.

xxx

JoRo163
10-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Thank you all!

I thought that would be the case, but just wanted to check.