PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article

sarah707
10-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Look to our past, not Europe | comment | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/channel/comment/news/1170098/Look-past-not-Europe/)

This article makes the point that earlier school starting ages are not guarantees of better educated children!!

It talks about the plan to get children into school by age 2 by 'removing the requirement on schools to register separately with Ofsted if they wish to provide for children under three’ (DFE 2013 p. 12)' - which to me is a very scary prospect for our little ones!!

Truss keeps mentioning more formal education for younger children too - so it's clearly one of her aims.

Have you written your letter asking your MP to support you against these plans yet?

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/campaigns-petitions/114418-letter-writing-more-ideas.html

Come on guys! Take a few moments and write your letter NOW!!

Together we must make our voices heard!! :cheerleader:

lisbet
10-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Very good points made in that article.

This government has quite an impressive record of policy U-turns, so IF we all shout loud enough, then maybe we'll be able to stop them turning on the clock back on early years provision! :clapping:

AgentTink
10-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Sarah have you read the below article in th news today. It is what dispatches will be covering tomorrow night. Something that caught my eye though is the section from mumsnet which is supporting our fears about ratios, have you spoke to them about the petition being out on their site.

Rhiya Malin: Mother's anger at 'cover-up' after her daughter's death | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276411/Rhiya-Malin-Mothers-anger-cover-daughters-death.html#axzz2Jj6eCmrE)

Mumsnet extract
The proposed changes have not gone down well with the 4million monthly users of Mumsnet.com, an online platform for parents.

Mumsnet founder, Justine Roberts, told the Mail On Sunday: 'There's not a lot of support on Mumsnet for the Government's plan to increase childcare ratios as demonstrated by our recent webchat with Education and Childcare Minister Liz Truss who got quite a grilling.
'While our users are all for improving the status and quality of childcare workers, just 5 per cent, when surveyed, said they'd be happy to see the number of childcare staff reduced even if it meant the cost of childcare was to fall.'

sarah707
10-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I will be watching the programme - and i have read through the Mumsnet thread and noted the negativity.

It's all very worrying isn't it? :(

mazza58
10-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Why oh why do they think that we need to instill education on our youngsters through formal teaching, we all know that infants learn so much through play, and are we not taking away from our children their childhood by making their upbringing so rigid, I feel too much is put on the importance on sitting down and teaching teaching instead of playing playing playing and helping them learn and enjoy this:angry:

SammySplodger
10-02-2013, 11:23 PM
The petition link was posted a couple of times during the Mumsnet webchat - but it would be good if it kept on being posted or Mumsnet supported us by putting a sticky link on the page.

SYLVIA
11-02-2013, 09:42 AM
I felt angry when they started taking them in to school in September only. The schools round here got in lots of the toys that the pre-school have and small adventure play grounds were built in school playgrounds to give the little ones something to do! I just couldn't understand why they couldn't leave the children in pre-schools and let them be children for longer! I feel so sad for the 2yr olds in school environments. At least with us, we can alter their day to suit their needs and moods, give them lots of love and cuddles and build on their personal and emotional development.