PDA

View Full Version : contracts

danielle28
10-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Need some advice I'm a childminder, my contract states payment is still due if child is absent but no payment is required if I am closed. I have a parent refusin 2 pay for days her childer have had off. The parent told me verbally that she was off work an didn't need me for. Our usual 3days then changed her mind on the day 25minutes before she wanted to drop the children off as I was not available because I was previously told I wasn't needed I said no an now she is refusin to pay an also isn't complying with the 28days notice of service endings she is claimin I have breeched so she isn't following the signed agreement. Were do I stand with this matter can any1 help?

shortstuff
10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Tough one to call but i would say as she had payed for the place it should have been available. I know 25 minutes isnt much notice but it would also work the other way if you had booked a holiday and then changed your mind? Sorry if my view is controvertial :-)

FizzWizz
10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
I have to agree with Gail. As frustrating as it is to be messed around, if you are charging for the day then you should really be Willing to take the child. Sorry it has all got so messy for you though x

lizduncan72
10-02-2013, 04:59 PM
I've had this happen too-got about an hours notice so bit more but not much!!! Unfortunately if the parent is paying for the space I think you have to be prepared to take the child or not charge if you refuse them. I know it's not great having to change plans and work when you were expecting a day off but parents are paying for the service to be available. Sorry

Mrs Scrubbit
10-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Agree too,if charging I always remain prepared to work xx

LauraS
10-02-2013, 05:30 PM
I agree too, unless there are specific terms in your contract which mean that a parent has to give notice of cancellation of time off. It doesn't sound like this was the case though, with everything being verbal, so I would say that annoying though it was you should have taken the children and now cannot charge.

chezzagriff
10-02-2013, 07:08 PM
I agree with everyone else sorry. If a child is off on their usual days that they are in then the parent should pay as you are saving that place for the child but at the same time, providing the child isnt ill with a contagious infection, if the parent changes their mind you have to be available. As you turned her down it ended up being your decision so you cant charge.

TAZ
10-02-2013, 10:05 PM
I think it depends a bit more on the situation, for example, if she was asking to drop off half way through the day and you were already on a day trip out with others then it would be unreasonable to expect you to come back for her lo and I think you would have a strong case to charge.
You say she won't pay for 2 days, were you unavailable for the next day also?

RuthJ
10-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Agree that it depends on the situation really. Why weren't you available? Where you out with other mindees? Could you have made yourself available later in the day? I wouldn't charge if I wasn't available but I do agree that 25 minutes is quite unreasonable!

Not really sure where you stand to be honest so I'm sorry I've not been very helpful.