PDA

View Full Version : A Whole New Level - Part 2, Complaint!

lorettacritchet
09-02-2013, 03:49 PM
As some of you have probably already read, an ex client of mine has decided to fight charges which I am chasing through solicitors, anyway to cut a long story short, she made accusations against my daughter. I have informed Ofsted who said I should follow my procedures etc, my solicitors suggests I deal with it as a complaint.....now that is all fine and dandy....however:

The mention of my daughter's behaviour is smack bang in the middle of a statement saying I have no contract for the older child and ends in "therefore being a verbal agreement we will not paid for X". It doesn't state any dates of when the parent "witnessed" when my daughter "hurt all the babies and made them cry while I did nothing" neither is there a mention of a date of when her older daughter had a bruise caused my daughter (despite us going to a soft play centre)!

Although I know there is nothing to her story and she is trying to avoid payment etc, I would like to show that I have fairly considered the crap! Now do I go back and ask for dates for when she witnessed these "events" or do I just write "at no time has this happened, complaint dismissed" (obviously with a longer explaination, looking at her few sentences).

I would completely understand and follow what to do if there were dates given to me, some more information such as which supposed children were "hurt" but to me what am I defending if theres a short statement with no information.
I have never done a complaint before and don't want to write a response putting words/sentences in there which could be twisted by these people.

sarah707
09-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Thank you for sharing details of the following complaints -

xxx

xxx

These complaints relate to 'Safeguarding and Welfare' requirements of the EYFS 2012 and 'Safe Child' requirements of the Childcare Register.

An internal investigation has been conducted in the following ways -

Accident records have been checked and there are no accidents recorded which relate to the complaints

Incident records have been checked and there are no incidents recorded which relate to the complaints

My daughter has been interviewed (date and time) and has no recollection of any accidents or incidents occurring during her time with the childminded children

I have checked my diaries and I have not recorded any accidents or incidents relating to the allegations made against my daughter

Without a record of date or time of the alleged accidents and incidents and / or photographs showing, for example, bruises, I am unable to investigate further.

I conclude that the allegations made against my daughter are wholly malicious and false and have been raised because there is a contractual dispute between myself and the complainant.

If I am shown evidence of any safeguarding concerns I will of course fully investigate them in the future.

Yours.

lorettacritchet
09-02-2013, 05:22 PM
My god Sarah, this is the most fantastic short but sweet statement! I was preparing myself to write a statement to the parents saying she knew full well she was able to make complaints and had she felt I was being unprofessional and allowing my daughter to hurt others why did she want to sign up her new born daughter too and only now bring these issues up at the time of money dispute!!!

As I said your short statement was perfect however my daughter is only 3 years and obviously I can't say I have interviewed her especially as she has a speech delay and they could say that it was rubbish! Not sure what else I could say, something "having interviewed past and current assistants I am able to ascertain that no such incidents have occured or been mentioned/recorded - what do you think?

Should I keep notes of what assistants have said? Should I get written statements? What questions should I ask apart from have you ever noticed my little girl being violent towards ex client's daughter or other children?

xxx

xxx

These complaints relate to 'Safeguarding and Welfare' requirements of the EYFS 2012 and 'Safe Child' requirements of the Childcare Register.

Accident records have been checked and there are no accidents recorded which relate to the complaints

Incident records have been checked and there are no incidents recorded which relate to the complaints

My daughter has been interviewed (date and time) and has no recollection of any accidents or incidents occurring during her time with the childminded children

I have checked my diaries and I have not recorded any accidents or incidents relating to the allegations made against my daughter

Without a record of date or time of the alleged accidents and incidents and / or photographs showing, for example, bruises, I am unable to investigate further.

I conclude that the allegations made against my daughter are wholly malicious and false and have been raised because there is a contractual dispute between myself and the complainant.

If I am shown evidence of any safeguarding concerns I will of course fully investigate them in the future.

Yours.

chezzagriff
09-02-2013, 05:54 PM
The way the parent is complaining I thought your daughter was an adult. I would basically stick to what Sarah has said. Im not sure if you can get character statements on 3 year olds but if you can I suppose getting the most recent assistant to write one wouldnt hurt. Even if the womans child did have a bruise all children get bruises. You can watch like a hawk but every now and then accidents will happen. Maybe you could include that you issue a complaints policy/procedure when new children start and she had signed to say that she had read and agreed upon it. In this case as she stated that she understood it why didnt she follow the policy and report it straight away.

sarah707
09-02-2013, 06:50 PM
My god Sarah, this is the most fantastic short but sweet statement! I was preparing myself to write a statement to the parents saying she knew full well she was able to make complaints and had she felt I was being unprofessional and allowing my daughter to hurt others why did she want to sign up her new born daughter too and only now bring these issues up at the time of money dispute!!!

As I said your short statement was perfect however my daughter is only 3 years and obviously I can't say I have interviewed her especially as she has a speech delay and they could say that it was rubbish! Not sure what else I could say, something "having interviewed past and current assistants I am able to ascertain that no such incidents have occured or been mentioned/recorded - what do you think?

Should I keep notes of what assistants have said? Should I get written statements? What questions should I ask apart from have you ever noticed my little girl being violent towards ex client's daughter or other children?

I read it that your daughter was older - I'm sorry!! My wrong assumption :blush:

It's much easier for someone who is not 'in the issue' to put together letters because while I feel your pain I am not emotionally compromised by it - if that makes sense.

With regard to your daughter, maybe instead say -

I closely supervise all the children when they are playing together and I have not seen or recorded any incidents during which my daughter has ...

Then yes, interview assistants and ask - have you seen any incidents where my daughter has ... and note the date and time and their comments.

You might also refer to your behaviour policy and procedures -

My daughter is subject to the same behaviour policy and procedures as childminded children during working hours and is fully aware of the consequences of her actions. I have never seen or been made aware of incidents where she has been involved in hurting other children.

Keep it very professional, nice and short and always remember we are here for you.

:group hug:

wendywu
10-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Sarah you are a god send. If i ever get into trouble i am coming to you :thumbsup:

bunyip
10-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Loretta, I've replied on your earlier thread too, so hope this doesn't get confusing.

I agree closely with everything Sarah has put. Also, were other mindees (ie. from another family/s) present? I'm asking this cos the mum's allegation that your DD "hurt all the babies" implies there were others there at the time. That being the case, it may be relevent to note that no other parent has reported any injury, distress or concern at any time.

As I've posted on your other thread, I think it's important that you check your policy/procedure is sound. Also, make sure that you have been recording actual incidents properly. That way, when a mum makes something up, you have the proof that you do actually record things when there is really something there to be recorded. :thumbsup:

lorettacritchet
10-02-2013, 05:13 PM

1) X

2) X

• Accident records have been checked and there are no accidents recorded which relate to the complaints

• Incident records have been checked and there are no incidents recorded which relate to the complaints

• I have checked my diaries and I have not recorded any accidents or incidents relating to the allegations made against my daughter

• Past and current assistants have been interviewed and they have no recollection of any accidents or incidents occuring during their full time working hours with the childminded children

I closely supervise all the children when they are playing together and I have not seen or recorded any incidents during which my daughter has been “overly aggressive or caused harm or upset to children” as stated.

My daughter is subject to the same behaviour policy and procedures as childminded children during working hours and is fully aware of the consequences of her actions. I have never seen or been made aware of incidents where she has been involved in hurting other children.

Every parent is issued with a complaints policy/procedure when new children start and you have signed to say that you have read and agreed upon it. In this case, I do not understand why you didn’t follow procedure as per the policies and report these “incidents/accidents” straight away.

I conclude that the allegations made against my daughter are wholly malicious and false and have been raised because there is a contractual dispute between us.

sarah707
10-02-2013, 05:28 PM
And breathe!

Let's hope that's an end to it.

:group hug:

Kiddleywinks
10-02-2013, 07:16 PM

1) X

2) X

• Accident records have been checked and there are no accidents recorded which relate to the complaints

• Incident records have been checked and there are no incidents recorded which relate to the complaints

• I have checked my diaries and I have not recorded any accidents or incidents relating to the allegations made against my daughter

• Past and current assistants have been interviewed and they have no recollection of any accidents or incidents occuring during their full time working hours with the childminded children

I closely supervise all the children when they are playing together and I have not seen or recorded any incidents during which my daughter has been “overly aggressive or caused harm or upset to children” as stated.

Every parent is issued with a complaints policy/procedure when new children start and you have signed to say that you have read and agreed upon it. In this case, I do not understand why you didn’t follow procedure as per the policies and report these “incidents/accidents” straight away.

I conclude that the allegations made against my daughter are wholly malicious and false and have been raised because there is a contractual dispute between us.

Sorry, I know you're upset, and rightly so, but the comment highlighted above in red, is an assumption/allegation, not a proven fact.
I'd be careful about putting that in an official document personally.
I realise you may want to make it known that this is why the allegations have been made, so could you not raise a question along the lines of:
If I am shown evidence of any safeguarding concerns I will of course fully investigate them in the future, however I am concerned that these allegations have been made since a contractual dispute between us arose.

sarah707
10-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Sorry, I know you're upset, and rightly so, but the comment highlighted above in red, is an assumption/allegation, not a proven fact.
I'd be careful about putting that in an official document personally

That sentence was my suggestion - written because I thought that it would be best to make it clear it's a contractual dispute rather than a true representation of the facts.

Do you feel it's a bit strong Kiddleywinks? :D

Kiddleywinks
10-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Edited my post Sarah, see highlighted response :thumbsup:

lorettacritchet
10-02-2013, 09:43 PM
What should I do?

That sentence was my suggestion - written because I thought that it would be best to make it clear it's a contractual dispute rather than a true representation of the facts.

Do you feel it's a bit strong Kiddleywinks? :D

bunyip
10-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Personally I would keep a response to any complaint on an entirely factual basis.

It would be factual to state that:-

no complaint was made at the time of any alleged misdemeanour.
the complaint was received only recently.
the complaint was not made to you directly but you feel professionally obligated to maintain your high standards by treating it as a complaint.
the complaint was made in response to a solicitor's communication attempting to recover money owed in relation to unpaid fees (i.e. a contract dispute.)
no complaint has been made by any other parent in relation to your daughter's alleged behaviour/actions.

These are all fact and not opinion. :)

sarah707
11-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Personally I would keep a response to any complaint on an entirely factual basis.

It would be factual to state that:-

no complaint was made at the time of any alleged misdemeanour.
the complaint was received only recently.
the complaint was not made to you directly but you feel professionally obligated to maintain your high standards by treating it as a complaint.
the complaint was made in response to a solicitor's communication attempting to recover money owed in relation to unpaid fees (i.e. a contract dispute.)
no complaint has been made by any other parent in relation to your daughter's alleged behaviour/actions.

These are all fact and not opinion. :)

I know exactly what you are saying Bunyip - but I do feel that Loretta needs to 'vent' a little as well.

I think Kiddlywinks' wording is fine Loretta - or you can take Bunyip's suggestion and leave it out.

Or maybe speak to your legal advisor and follow what they say before sending the letter - if they are involved then you should run it by them anyway.

You know far more than we do about the situation.

Hugs x

wendywu
11-02-2013, 08:01 AM
I myself would feel the need to point out that there is a dispute over money that is owed to me. Also whoever gets to read this letter in the future needs to know that as well. This fact puts a different light on this new complaint .:mad:

lorettacritchet
11-02-2013, 10:31 AM
New version including everyone';s comments.....

Further to your letter dated 1st February 2013 sharing details of the following complaints which was sent directly to my solicitor who is dealing with the oustanding debt –

You have stated:

1) You have “witnessed” X behaving very aggressively and spitefully towards younger children (especially my baby and other clients’ babies) in Loretta’s care often hurting and making them cry. Loretta was unable to resolve this issue with her child’s behaviour and always gave in to her daughter’s demands at the expense of other children in her care; and

2) X did not want to stay with your client after X became too rough with her and Loretta refused to listen to X’s complaints, letting X get her own way and not dealing with it effectively and consistently.

An internal investigation has been conducted in the following ways –

• Past and current assistants have been interviewed and they have no recollection of any accidents or incidents occuring during hours with the childminded children

My daughter is subject to the same behaviour policy and procedures as childminded children during working hours and is fully aware of the consequences of her actions. I have never seen or been made aware of incidents where she has been involved in hurting other children neither have any other complaints been made/received by any other parent in relation to my daughter’s alleged behaviour.

Every parent is issued with a complaints policy/procedure when new children start and you have signed to say that you have read and agreed upon it. This procedure was again repeated in September 2012. In this case, I do not understand why you didn’t follow procedure as per the policies and procedures and report these “incidents/accidents” straight away and instead only make these complaints in response to a solicitor’s communication attempting to recover monies owed in relation to unpaid fees.

If I am shown evidence of any safeguarding concerns I will of course fully investigate them in the future, however I am concerned that these allegations have been made since a contractual dispute between us arose.

bunyip
11-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Looks good. :thumbsup:

I would add that the complaint relates to the 'behavior management' requirement of EYFS, just for the sake of completeness.

I would add that all your assistants were/are aware of the need to report all incidents, including 'whistle-blowing' if they are concerns about your actions or your daughter's actions.

I think you're handing this very well, and deserve to achieve the best possible result. :)

lorettacritchet
11-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Oh thanks guys especially you and Sarah, been absolutely so lovely. Feels so good to feel supported by those who know about my job.

Looks good. :thumbsup:

I would add that the complaint relates to the 'behavior management' requirement of EYFS, just for the sake of completeness.

I would add that all your assistants were/are aware of the need to report all incidents, including 'whistle-blowing' if they are concerns about your actions or your daughter's actions.

I think you're handing this very well, and deserve to achieve the best possible result. :)