PDA

View Full Version : Petition

sarak31
08-02-2013, 06:19 PM
I am passing on the link for the petition against ratios to all I can. But..

Although I understand, and share, the concerns around ratios I am most concerned about agencies. Am I right in thinking that there is a petition about this and if yes does anyone have a link?

Thanks

FussyElmo
08-02-2013, 06:21 PM
I think the petition was closed last year.

SammySplodger
08-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Can we start another one? I can see why we need to keep a separate issue - but think we need one for agencies too.

FussyElmo
08-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Personally I think everyone is rallying against the whole of the "more great childcare". The danger is if we start dissecting it and doing different petitions for different aspects we run the risk of people not taking us seriously.

Under one banner everyone will unite (hopefully) :thumbsup:

Well thats always been my thought :thumbsup:

jo.jo76
08-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Can we start another one? I can see why we need to keep a separate issue - but think we need one for agencies too.

I agree, everyone I have spoken too knew about the ratios but had no clue about agencies! That's the bit I'm most concerned about

FussyElmo
08-02-2013, 09:01 PM
I agree, everyone I have spoken too knew about the ratios but had no clue about agencies! That's the bit I'm most concerned about

Yes but who other than cms will be concerned over agencies.

At the minute we are united against the "more great childcare" nurseries, preschools, parents other professionals.

If we splinter off we risk losing support and losing the battle :thumbsup:

sarak31
10-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Yes I agree that if it is kept together then we are stronger in numbers but the focus of the 'more great childcare' petition is 'keep our ratios down'. The 'more great childcare' is about much more than just ratios. I can see Truss et al just backing down on the ratios - making a big fanfare of this to win votes in true politician style, saying look at us we listen to the people and respond etc etc - and just amending the 'more great childcare' to keep ratios the same but all other changes - of which there are others, it's not just about ratios - the same. The remainder of 'more great childcare' will go through including the agency model.

sarak31
10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Yes but who other than cms will be concerned over agencies.

:

Sadly I agree with this - I think it is a done deal, we can't possibly fight this on our own so have started thinking about how I can work with this to keep my business going - if I want to keep going now!

bunyip
10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
If there was a petition against agencies, then I and many others would sign it.

However, I'm not sure it would get the support of schools, nurseries, training companies, etc. who would probably be queueing up to make a fortune out of registering themselves as agencies. :huh:

In a sense, maybe the agency model depends on also having the increased numbers. In order for More Great Childcare to achieve 3 of its key stated aims (lower cost to parents; increased pay for childcarers, attracting a 'better' workforce; better training/qualifications) it would need to attract more revenue by most settings working with more children.

sarah707
10-02-2013, 08:24 PM
There was a petition against deregulation / agencies last year which got 11,000 signatures.

The ratios petition hits a far wider audience and already has over 20,000 signatures (when last I looked).

The forum is lobbying against agencies as well as ratios... it is something we are covering because the vast majority of our members say they do not want agencies...

Our hope of course is that they will listen to us on all the points we are raising :D