PDA

View Full Version : WHY COMPLACENCY IS NOT AN OPTION! 2

sarah707
08-02-2013, 04:21 PM
I am a childminder because I love children!

I have always loved children and if I wasn’t at home childminding I would dust off my degree and work as a teacher.

I am not in this job for the money... or the notoriety in my local area (look at her with all those children)... or the swanky foreign holidays... or the long nights and weekends sitting here at my computer tapping away...

I am here for the children and their families. I focus my entire working life on improving outcomes for the children in my care.

I have chosen to be self employed because I want to be able to choose what I do every day. Yes, I have learning intentions and educational outcomes and food and drink guidelines and risk assessments and all the other bits and bobs with which we must comply securely in place.

But, first and foremost, I want to choose what I do every day with the children.

I want them to have fun, to want to come here every morning and to grow up with happy memories of their early years with their childminder.

Now is where I start to get cross - because I strongly believe that this government, with its ‘More Great Childcare’ plan, is putting outcomes for the next generation of our children at risk.

On one hand we are told that PSED, physical and communication and language skills are most important for life-long learning... on the other we are told that ratios of 1 adult to 6 x 2 year old children will not cause them any harm.

On one had we are told by Ofsted that we must write risk assessments and carefully consider the impact of any changes to the conditions of our registration (variations) we make to ensure children’s outcomes are not damaged... on the other we are told it will soon be fine to care for more children.

As for the nursery and school ratios - someone with a degree does not have more than 2 hands or one pair of eyes - as I know when trying to meet each child’s individual needs every day.

I could go on but I don’t want this to turn into a rant. I just want to get everyone thinking... how will these plans affect the children?

If you think outcomes for children are at risk then please join in our campaign to stop the government’s plans.

www.keepratiosdown.co.uk

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/campaigns-petitions/114247-email-write-letter-make-your-feelings-known.html

Together we will make our voices heard! :cheerleader::cheerleader:

christine e
08-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Well said Sarah :clapping::clapping::clapping:

loocyloo
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Well said Sarah :clapping::clapping::clapping:

i agree, very well said

xxx

phoenix2010
08-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Im not even worried about ratios anymore Sarah to be honest

Ive just read their document on agencies and feel physically sick :panic:

Agencies it seem will be matching me with parents as Im incapable of finding suitable work for myself
even though all my spaces are full and some have been with me 2 years

Im incapable of getting paid , so agencies will collect fees for me even though this has never been an issue

and 75% of my parents get tax credits but I might have to use an agency so that parents can access the funding for childcare

this is a ****** nightmare !!

catlyn
08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
absolutely well said Sarah x x x

SammySplodger
08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm slightly welling up Sarah.... Being honest.

Just re-read webchat on Mumsnet - so depressing.

Doing all I can, carrying on with emails this weekend.

Allie
08-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Totally agree with you Sarah, I'm hoping the government will have a u turn like they have with GCSE's

Allie

hectors house
08-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Pity we are all so :censored: reliable otherwise we could go on strike - just think how many parents couldn't go to work without us - that would give netmums something real to moan about for a change :D

The Juggler
09-02-2013, 04:20 PM
i have just sent an e-mail to my local MP as our early years team have not even responded to my e-mail about holding meetings for people to respond to the consultation OR the petitions. And WHY is the consultation not being made more public - people need to know they can have their say :angry: