PDA

View Full Version : Devlopment matters :0

lor
08-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Please can any one help,am at my wits end!

Am struggling with individual planning and using development matters, I currently use single sheets with ages and stages then when I do an ob that connects I highlight it off do I then look at un hightlighted areas and plan for them then highlight off? must I always have an ob or can I just know that a child is able an highlight? how often should I be doing it.

So sorry if that dosent make sense but the trouble is it doesnt make sense to me either, I would be so grateful for any help or suggestions.

Thanks

sarah707
08-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Here is what I do...

I watch and listen to the children

I write down about 4 obs a month - 1 x inside, 1 x outside, 1 x outing, 1 x from home (my children are part timers, 2 days a week) - some with photos and some not; most short.

All the time I am watching and listening so I know what the children are doing, saying, enjoying, playing with etc

I use Development Matters to note what area of learning and development the children are working on at the moment - lots of movement links to physical, child who is rapidly learning new words links to communication etc.

I DO NOT use DM as a childcare bible because it isn't one. It has huge gaps. I use it to note 'best fit' judgements about how the child is progressing.

Every so often, if i haven't seen the child doing or saying something recently, or if I want to share a nice event with parents, I will do a longer focussed obs that covers a page.

I use the obs to link to 'next steps' / individual planning opportunities. It's a never ending cycle...

I hope that helps :D

lor
10-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Thank you, that helps loads!:)

Lovely
24-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Hi, you do not need an observation for each and every single area otherwise we would be doing reams and reams of paperwork something the new Eyfs is trying to help us cut back on, it is a good idea to have as many as your currently doing and then as long as you have observed the child doing whatever area it is you want to 'check off' more than once you can then do so. Hope that helps. X