PDA

View Full Version : Double pushchair - the best??

eddie
08-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Looking at investing in a decent double pushchair. It would have to fold well to fit in the car but other than that I am open to ideas.

What do you think is the best double pushchair?

QualityCare
08-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I personally wouldn't have a tandem have had one and found it heavy to push as the bigger child had to sit in the front as only the rear seat went flat for a baby, I dislike those where one child is put underneath the other like the shopping and is close to car fumes, sees only peoples legs etc or has no eye contact with anyone, I use a maclaren side by side twin techno, umbrella folds so fits in the car, both seats lie back, independent hoods, decent sized bags underneath and easy to push and manoeuvre.

nipper
08-02-2013, 12:14 PM
I have had a number of double pushchairs, including:

Maclaren twin techno, having had the single version with my own two children.

Pros
Well made, good quality. Easy to fit rain cover. Folds up pretty small, well at least as small as a double can!
Lays flat, suitable from birth
Independent hoods

Cons
Seats quite narrow, but I suppose this is to be expected. Maybe no good for a too tired to walk/three year old as seat is cramped?
Little wheels were no good for our bumpy tracks to and from on the school run.
Impossible to steer one handed if I needed to hold hand of a toddler (e.g. when crossing road)
Too wide to get through door of our local shop and Post Office...enough said

Phil and Teds E3
Pros
Very easy to steer one handed and hold hand of aforementioned toddler!
Comfy ride over rough ground
Easily accessible shopping basket
Essentially a single pushchair with benefit of double (with extra seat)

Cons
Risk of Punctures (I invested in some goo/slime to put in the tyres and carried it with me)
I wasn't always convinced about the doubles seat being situated where it was- not a very good view out IYSWIM. Buggy board night on impossible to attach with the doubles seat on.
Sometimes long legged toddlers could cause the bottom of the shopping basket to rip
Single wheel at front made it difficult to mount pavement especially when loaded up, as it was easy to overbalance.
Second seat not useable if front seat is in lay flat position, unless you put the second seat on top, then you have to swap them round again should baby wake up!

and now I come to my most prized possession

Mountain Buggy Duet
Pros
Eats up rough ground and very good in the snow!
Nice for little ones to be side by side
A doddle to push one handed and hold hand of toddler
Double wheels at front, so a little bit more balanced for mounting pavements.
Independent hoods, with built in sun visors

Cons
Expensive but well worth the investment
Rain cover fiddly to attach underneath
Might not fir in your boot. I have a Zafira and will sit on end in back without removing wheels
Punctures (see above)
Sunshade, like rain cover only available seperately (quite expensive too)
Can get into local shop/post office but only if I move the national lottery stand and the birthday card rack (much to distaste of shop owner!)

I am looking to get another p&t type pushchair, so at least i have got a single looking one. Have looked at Hauck Freerider and Britax B dual as well, but need to see one in the flesh before I make up my mind!

LauraS
08-02-2013, 12:15 PM
I think the choice of double is a very individual thing depending on how much walking you do, storage space, whether you have existing children of your own, boot space etc.

I have been using a maclaren for the last six months and hate it, the seats are small, it doesnt protect children from the elements well and it's heavy and clunky to push, especially up and down kerbs. However, I walk A LOT, plus I really want something rear facing, so my needs probably differ to yours. I have bought a Firstwheels twin which is great, airfilled tyres, cosy, very manouverable but at 80cm wide doesnt actually fit through my front door :angry: so that's going. Silly me. I have borrowed a tandem to try and didn't like it, far too heavy with a toddler in front. Have now bought a Mutsy Urban rider to try with a single seat and duo seat. If that's no good will have to compromise on the rear facing aspect and buy an out and about nipper or similar.

LauraS
08-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I have had a number of double pushchairs, including:

Mountain Buggy Duet
Pros
A doodle to push one handed and hold hand of toddler

Cons
Might not fir in your boot. I have a Zafira and will sit on end in back without removing wheels
Punctures (see above)
Can get into local shop/post office but only if I move the national lottery stand and the birthday card rack (much to distaste of shop owner!)

Also on my hitlist. Seriously coveting one of these.

Cottonsocks
08-02-2013, 12:35 PM
When I was updating my previous buggy (tandem) I opted for the out and about nipper. I've never looked back. So pleased with it that my husband got one for his lot too. So easy to push with one hand. Easy to push uphills. Put the green slime in the tyres though. As we had a puncture every time the hedgerows were cut. This is the buggy for us. However, we don't put it in the boot. Car's not big enough for 6 littlies & the 2 of us!

vals
08-02-2013, 02:04 PM
a minder friend of mine bought city jogger - sorry I cant remember the name more accurately.Its purple and has two wheels at the front. She said she never thought she would find the perfect buggy, but that this one is. Other minders have bought one too.I have seen the way it folds up, its very easy. If I could afford one I would get one, but I can't justify it at the moment.

catlyn
08-02-2013, 02:07 PM
I love my out and about nipper too...fits through most doorways and is easy to push even with 2 toddlers in it....a bit bulky to fold and store but fits in the boot of my focus with the front wheel off

blue bear
08-02-2013, 04:50 PM
I have a phil and teds, a mcclaren twin triumph and a nipper 360 double, the nipper wins hands down, easy to push one handed, lovely rooney seat that lay flat, good storage space, I take my wheels off and fold it nice and flat for the boot, it just makes it easy and lighter to lift.

sarak31
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
I've had a couple of doubles too - maclaren types mainly - which i found heavy and hard to push.

I absolutely LOVE my out n about nipper - it is fab -easy to push, comfy for kids, not too heavy to lift in and out the car, fits easily (more easily that the maclaren types) in the boot with all the 7 seats up (in a sedona) and I wish I'd bought it years ago!

lizduncan72
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
a minder friend of mine bought city jogger - sorry I cant remember the name more accurately.Its purple and has two wheels at the front. She said she never thought she would find the perfect buggy, but that this one is. Other minders have bought one too.I have seen the way it folds up, its very easy. If I could afford one I would get one, but I can't justify it at the moment.

I have this one too and love it! Did have a graco one and thought it was great until I got this one-so much better :)

Chatterbox Childcare
08-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Got 2: Little Nipper which is light and flexible and the handle is a good height (I prefer this one) and a Mothercare Odyssey which is also 3 wheels but heavier (a good second choice). Both lie down flat, havey cosytoes and are easy to fold into the car

SammySplodger
08-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Have had various and find Mountain Buggy best - same width as a wheelchair so goes through most doorways and easiest to push. You can pick them up second hand / eBay for £50-£100! Easy to fix too.

coffee-time
08-02-2013, 06:53 PM
ive got this one which i bought a few months ago after my last one broke, its surprisingly easy to push, even with a 3 year old in the front and 2 year old in the back, only the back seat fully reclines which is fine for me as i really only use it for school runs at the moment.

My Child Sienta Duo - Turquoise | Double & Tandem Pushchairs | ASDA direct (http://direct.asda.com/My-Child-Sienta-Duo---Turquoise/002676844,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=ad-css-_-ggle-shop-_-Babies-and-Kids-_-002676844&utm_source=ggle-shop&utm_medium=css&utm_term=002676844&utm_content=Babies-and-Kids&utm_campaign=ad&istCompanyId=71f4ae42-94c5-4821-aa58-05eff6da2486&istItemId=ppqwmwtq&istBid=t)

fionamadcat
08-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I love my nipper! Very easy to push, fits through doors easily etc. I got mine 2nd hand for 50 quid, although it isn't in the best condition now it was money well spent and when I replace it I will get another 1

lubeam
08-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I've a croozer 2 ! I love it we bought it for our kids . It's expensive but ace !!!!! It's got a huge storage area at the back great for picnics or going to the beach, folds flat we can get of in Zafira with all seats up with wheel off, you can have little wheels on the front or a big wheel for rough ground and running or you can attach it to your bike and pull it with that! It all comes in the cost of the buggy, it's called a trailer but its been brill! You do have to buy an attachment for tiny babies but I would say its worth it ! We've had ours 3 years and you can put a kids in it upto the weight of 50kg!! When we go to the super bikes our 5 year old gets in to have a nap! :) HTH

LauraS
11-02-2013, 08:55 PM
and now I come to my most prized possession

Mountain Buggy Duet
Pros
A doddle to push one handed and hold hand of toddler
Double wheels at front, so a little bit more balanced for mounting pavements.
Independent hoods, with built in sun visors

Cons
Punctures (see above)

Oh hell, just accidentally bought one. I blame you :D

May have to ditch my other three quick sharp now, before DH has me sectioned :laughing:

nipper
12-02-2013, 10:20 AM
LauraS how do you 'accidentally' buy a mountain buggy?

Enjoy;)

Oh and by the way, don't expect your husband to understand!

eddie
12-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Thank you all for your replies! Seems it is a matter of personal choice though. I really like the Mountain buggy ones, feel the nipper one would be difficult to get in my car and think I quite like the baby jogger for the way it folds.

I would mainly be putting it in the back of the car rather than walking from home so the fit is important.

Decisions, decisions......

eddie
12-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Oh hell, just accidentally bought one. I blame you :D

May have to ditch my other three quick sharp now, before DH has me sectioned :laughing:

If I had 4 pushchairs my husband would leave me! Think I have just experienced pushchair envy :D

Mind you I can hardly get my single and the rubbish tandem one I hate in my garage!!

LauraS
12-02-2013, 11:30 AM
LauraS how do you 'accidentally' buy a mountain buggy?

Enjoy;)

Oh and by the way, don't expect your husband to understand!

Talked myself into it :D

Have ended up with four because nothing so far has been quite right, have a McLaren that pushes like a tank, a firstwheels that's too wide for anyone who doeant live in a mansion or a cave, a musty which doeant steer well and.now a beautiful, shiny, cosy mountain buggy lol.

I have a single pushchair too, by the way ;)

Beyond help...

dette
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
just found this on EBAY

Sell one like this

BRAND NEW MAMAKIDDIES DOUBLE TWIN DUO BABY STROLLER JOGGER PRAM PUSH CHAIR BUGGY
could do a link but worth a copy and paste

lizzy29
12-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I love my phil and ted sport but thinking of investing a baby jogger city mini double as I have a single version for my son and its the best pushchair iv had (iv had a lot!!!!)

eddie
12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
I love my phil and ted sport but thinking of investing a baby jogger city mini double as I have a single version for my son and its the best pushchair iv had (iv had a lot!!!!)

This is the double I'm thinking seriously hard about - the GT version looks nice!

Belly2009
12-02-2013, 12:58 PM
After lots of debating and research ive just order a brabd new baby jogger city mini double and cant wait to use it. Fitsvin the zafira eith all 7 seats up if u take the front wheel off. Im like a little kid at xmas. Its arriving next week x

eddie
12-02-2013, 01:06 PM
After lots of debating and research ive just order a brabd new baby jogger city mini double and cant wait to use it. Fitsvin the zafira eith all 7 seats up if u take the front wheel off. Im like a little kid at xmas. Its arriving next week x

You're not helping my pushchair envy! Hope I can get it in the boot of mine, I think the Zafira has a similar size boot to my Renault Grand Scenic as I used to have one.

Belly2009
12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I looked at the GT one but didnt think it fit as looks a bit bigger! :)

littletreasures
12-02-2013, 02:26 PM
I've just bought the Babystyle Oyster Max

It is fantastic. I can have 2 baby car seats on it or pushchair seat and car seat in a multitude of positions.

I will be having a 7 month and a 10 month in April so ideal.

I managed to sell my Phil and Teds explorer last year when my friend wanted to buy one and then I bought a couple of tandems off ebay to keep myself going until this one came out last week. I also made a good profit on those pushchairs selling them again which helped pay for the new one :clapping:

nipper
12-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Oh now I am seriously confused with all these pushchairs:panic::panic::panic:

vickylou
12-02-2013, 03:03 PM
My recent double is the Baby Jogger GT chose this one as it has adjustable handle, I'm only 5ft and find a lot too high! I love it, it's coped with snow brilliantly, it's a dream to push so light, it's heavy to lift when folded, but i only carry it from outside front door to inside the hall. It's half an inch too wide to fit through the door, but don't find this a problem, seat harnesses are a little small but I have cosytoes on at the moment and they always make the harnesses difficult, my favourite things are the brake which is a lever bear the handle bar, and there's a dividing wall between the seats so no priding and pinching. The basket is a really good size too. The hoods have a fantastic sun canopy which acts as a dark room!!!! My Lo's sleep for hours!!! My next double buggy is the Graco tandem which even basic as it is, is in my opinion one of the best tandems, I have this for public transport. I've had many doubles in my years of minding and these two are definitely my favourite. I have an o'baby twin in the car but I hate it!!!

I also have a triple, an out & about nipper single, and last night bought a Joie dash stroller which is awesome one handed fold!!!! Can't wait to use this tomorrow!!!

MrsP2C
12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I got a 2nd hand Jane Powertwin purely because I loved my single Jane so much but I find it a total PITA & really hard to steer on anything other than a flat surface and even in the flatest position LO's heads always lol when they sleep which really bugs me :mad:.

So, after speaking to 3 lots of friends with twins & reading loads of reviews inc on here I'm now on the look out for either an Out & About Nipper or City Mini Jogger (& if anyone has used both be glad to hear your thoughts :D)

greanan
12-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Love, love, love my city mini jogger!!!