PDA

View Full Version : Home work

jashol
07-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Hi picked up lo from school only in reception morning only then comes to me for afternoons teacher just said would I mind doing some homework with lo as not getting much cooperation from home no home work been done and have lost two folders since sept and the lo is really enjoying and wanting to do work it is very simple colouring in home work I don't mind helping the lo at all but do I tell mum what school have said how do I tell her I don't mind helping him but that I don't want mum thinking she doesn't have to help if I am !?

Tazmin68
07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I would say that Escher mentioned some homework to be done and as you had time to sit down with child had opportunity to do some of it. I wouldnot repeat everything teacher said. I would mention to mom that where you might have time now to do some of the work with the child that when they are in school all day that the children usually want a break from work at the nod of the day and then child might need to do more at home and not with you. All my mindees that come to me after school usually have dinner and I their homework when they go home from me as the like to rest and eat after school not o work straight away.

Cottonsocks
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd agree. I'd mention the fact that you were aware about there being some homework, but make it clear that you seldom get enough time in the day to make this a regular thing. I'd keep it to yourself all the teacher said to you. It's lovely to think the teacher felt they were able to ask for your input and would probably feel a little betrayed if she was aware you'd quoted her.

jashol
07-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys I will say and do this thankyou

rickysmiths
07-02-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't do home work. Never. I will provide an area for older children if they want to sit and do some, I will find books and provide resources if I have them.

There are some things a parent needs to do. They have to get organised and make the time to do this with their child. It is hardly difficult or a major time commitment for a child in Primary school. It is important for the parent to do this with their child at home and develop a routine so they set the pattern, habit and expectations as the child gets older and gets more and more regular home work. The child needs the space at home and needs to be helped to develop good independent study skills. It is so important to have good habit established before a child goes to High School. This is something I think no childminder can do, they are not the parent and they are not working with the child in their home.

My reply to the Teacher would have been a polite no and if there are problems please could you write to the parent or call them into school to discuss it with them. I think the teacher was out of order. Fine to inform you of topics being followed so you can support this in your setting.

QualityCare
07-02-2013, 01:07 PM
I agree with rickysmiths, homework should be done at home, l tell parents this and say that should their child choose to do it then l will not prevent them neither will l check, correct or tell them how to do it, they are welcome to dictionaries, encyclopaedias or reference books but not the internet.
The school should not be approaching you to do it lost folders etc are not your concern.

The Juggler
07-02-2013, 01:09 PM
if it was this simple, i.e. colouring of course I'd allow the child to do it but as a rule I don't do homework with the children. I don't have time nor can I give them the attention it needs.

I think the issue hear is that teacher is expecting you to do HER job i.e. tackle the parents about it and the parents will end up with you doing THEIR job. The teacher needs to speak to teh parent really.

TAZ
07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
I would bequite happy to do the homework with the child & see it as a positive thing that the teacher has approached you as 'working in partnership'.

Depending on what time lo's are with you till depends on how much homework is appropriate for them to do with you. If the child has had to be out all day because the parent is working the last thing the parent wants to do is spend the precious time in the evening that they do have with their child doing homework (especially if the child is reluctant which thankfully is not the case here) As childminders we are uniquly placed to provide home from home care and homework is all part & parcel of that.

I am not saying that a parent should not be involved in a child's learning, this too is important.

Cottonsocks
07-02-2013, 02:04 PM
I would bequite happy to do the homework with the child & see it as a positive thing that the teacher has approached you as 'working in partnership'.

Depending on what time lo's are with you till depends on how much homework is appropriate for them to do with you. If the child has had to be out all day because the parent is working the last thing the parent wants to do is spend the precious time in the evening that they do have with their child doing homework (especially if the child is reluctant which thankfully is not the case here) As childminders we are uniquly placed to provide home from home care and homework is all part & parcel of that.

I am not saying that a parent should not be involved in a child's learning, this too is important.

Completely agree. I always feel flattered if a teacher feels they can speak to me confidentially. I take it that this teacher understands we're another professional working with other professionals with the child's best interests at heart. I sometimes have time to sit with a group of children while they do some of their homework, or listen to them with their reading books, other times I do not. My parents know they cannot rely on me to make sure the child gets it done, I'll just help out as much as I can, when I can. All part of being a Childminder.

FussyElmo
07-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Whereas I do agree that it is nice that the teacher confided in you. I think it was very unprofessional of her to criticise the parent to you and ask you to do the homework. Sorry that is just not called for. If she is having problems getting the parent to help with then she needs to discuss it with the parents.

I would be fuming if I thought a teacher went to a cm and criticised me, I would be making a formal complaint to the head.

Opp soap box again :laughing::D