PDA

View Full Version : Childrens' Centre ringing about my vacancies?

Daisy De
07-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Yesterday I had a phone call from a nearby childrens' centre asking whether I had any vacancies, never happened before.

Today I have a phone call from a lady looking for childcare who says I have been recommended by a childrens' centre, I can only assume the same one.

This childrens' centre have never met me as I have never been there, haven't even spoken to them on the phone, how can they recommend me?

What's going on, are they getting in on the agency thing, has anyone else had this?

Ripeberry
07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Maybe the mum asked the centre and they were just being helpful by checking first for her :) Hope it goes well and you get some work from this :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Daisy De
07-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Maybe the mum asked the centre and they were just being helpful by checking first for her :) Hope it goes well and you get some work from this :thumbsup::thumbsup:

True just seems a bit odd they have been around a while never contacted me before :)

Maybe they are worried about their jobs so being more 'helpful' :D

The Juggler
07-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Yesterday I had a phone call from a nearby childrens' centre asking whether I had any vacancies, never happened before.

Today I have a phone call from a lady looking for childcare who says I have been recommended by a childrens' centre, I can only assume the same one.

This childrens' centre have never met me as I have never been there, haven't even spoken to them on the phone, how can they recommend me?

What's going on, are they getting in on the agency thing, has anyone else had this?

i wouldn't worry at all. That is what centres are supposed to do help parents find childcare and to help minders fill vacacnies - it's just that not many do their job properly :thumbsup: unless they start asking for a commission fee of course then be very suspicious :laughing:

hectors house
07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I had an e-mailed newsletter from my children centre - first one I have ever received - very suspicious - bet the next one announces they are my local "voluntary" agency!

Mouse
07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
I had an e-mailed newsletter from my children centre - first one I have ever received - very suspicious - bet the next one announces they are my local "voluntary" agency!

I said on another post that there seems to be an increase in communication from nurseries & children's centres :rolleyes: All very suspicious!

loocyloo
07-02-2013, 12:05 PM
my local childrens centre do call and ask if i have vacancies, or if i can recommend a babysitter, or one worker rang to ask me for suggestions for a child we both know!

they also have been known to flag me down as i walk past! but i usually pop in most weeks and they know me.

winstonian
07-02-2013, 03:35 PM
I had a call from ours once last year and when I said I was full the receptionist said "I am not surprised, when I see you with the children you are always so good". Which was lovely but I have no idea who she is :)
When they shut to the under 2s last year they gave out a sheet with childminders numbers on and a little boy came to me from that.

VeggieSausage
07-02-2013, 06:55 PM
I have just had a mail out from all the local children's centres telling em what was on and also someone has phoned me and they got my details from the children's centre.....sumat is going on me thinks.....

catminder
07-02-2013, 07:06 PM
I had a phone call last month from our local Children's Centre and was asked if I had a vacancy for a child. I have never left my details with them so was surprised to hear from them. The lady was quite helpful and encouraged me to leave my details on their notice board.
X Alison

bunyip
07-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Are you on a LA database or other website,etc. that the Children's Centre might've searched?

It is part of a Children's Centre's remit to act as a 'one stop shop' for all parent's enquiries about all aspects of bringing up children. So I think they'd see it as their duty to put a parent in contact with a registered provider.

chezzagriff
09-02-2013, 01:05 PM
How do you get registered on the children's center lists? do you have to go in or can you ring up and request? Also is it just the specific children's center you contact that has your details or do all of the children's centers then have you on their lists?

leeanne910
09-02-2013, 02:12 PM
See i went on.mat leave 12 months ago and worked in childrens centres for 5yrs....the weird thing is we were always told we couldnt recomend a childcare provider we had to sign post to FIS ......and this was accross the board (i worked in several) ...... Weird

chezzagriff
09-02-2013, 06:04 PM
When I was looking for a childminder for my 2 year old I was just sent a copy of childminders in my area. Now I am a childminder I wouldnt mind getting on that list though as a few people including myself all found their childminders off the sheets. I might just pop in my local centre on Mon and see what they say.

TAZ
09-02-2013, 06:49 PM
See i went on.mat leave 12 months ago and worked in childrens centres for 5yrs....the weird thing is we were always told we couldnt recomend a childcare provider we had to sign post to FIS ......and this was accross the board (i worked in several) ...... Weird

Our children's center have said that they can't give out (because it would be seen to be a recommendation) childminder details but we can put our details /an advert up on their noticeboard.