PDA

View Full Version : WHY COMPLACENCY IS NOT AN OPTION!

sarah707
07-02-2013, 08:12 AM
You have a new childminder agency in your local area - it is a school.

The government has made it easier for the school to open an after school club which it is publicising heavily... the government has encouraged the school to accept 2 year olds and it now has a teacher on board so they are actively publicising their new 1 teacher : 6 x 2 year olds ratios... for their next intake of older children they intend to use their 1 teacher : 13 ratios... the agency has to be self supporting so they are advertising for new childminders to register...

What is going to happen when they get a phone call from a parent asking about vacancies? Where is your work going to come from?

You have a new childminder agency in your local area - it is a nursery.

The government has given the nursery new ratios - 1 teacher : 6 x 2 year olds and 1 teacher : 13 children... the agency has to be self supporting so they are advertising for new childminders to register... the government is telling parents that agencies offer the very best childminder options for their children’s care and only agency childminders get all the benefits noted in the ‘More Great Childcare’ plan...

Where is your work going to come from? Do you think the nursery will have your phone number at the top of their list when a vacancy request comes in?

Every school in your local area is considering extending their 2 year old provision using the new 1 teacher : 6 x 2 year olds ratio...

Every nursery in your local area is marketing and advertising to extend their provision (especially now floor space is no longer an issue) and have employed qualified teachers...

There is an influx of newly registering childminders in your area, all looking to fill their newly created spaces using their new, flexible ratios...

How are you going to fill YOUR vacancies?

This is why I do not think complacency is the answer!!

Please... write to your MP... write to Ms Truss... write to the Dept for Education... write to David Cameron...

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/campaigns-petitions/114247-email-write-letter-make-your-feelings-known.html

Let’s make our voices heard! :cheerleader::cheerleader:

SammySplodger
07-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Yes Sarah I'm afraid I think you are right.
:-(

The Juggler
07-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Sarah

I've hardly posted here on FB about this, I am so angry about it all and digesting all the information (plus a lot of personal stuff going on). I have signed both petitions and have shared the link about the consultation with my children's centre so all childminders can have their say.

However, I don't think they realise its' not just about whether they agree WE should have more children or not or whether that is ok but it's about other settings having higher ratios and dropping theri charges and the potential impact on US filling our vacancies.

I have just asked the head of our Early years team if she will hold local meetings in each of our localities and invite childminders to come and jointly consult so they understand how this could affect them and to talk about the agency prospect. Our LA are offering burseries to 'new groups' wanting to set up in childcare to offer the 2 year old provision! Instead of training more childminders to be able to offer it - such a shame.

Please tell me the consultation link has been posted on here - I was sure I saw it - if not I can post it.
:blush:
Nikki

teacake2
07-02-2013, 12:11 PM
I have just had a meeting with my DO, I asked her why I have not been approached to care for a 2 year old with funding in place, I was told I do not live in the right area and I never will, the village I live in is to affluent. I don't think so, the majority of the children that go to the local school are from one parent families (I am not being nasty when I say this so no one jump down my throat about one parent families), the children from these parents have school dinners, etc, i.e. the parent would qualify for the 2 year old funding for their other children but because the HVs will not refer them no parents round here are getting the help they need.
The school is advertising that the nursery will soon be opening for 2 year olds so guess who is going to get the funding, yes you got it the school, childminders do not stand a chance round here.
Teacake2

The Juggler
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I have just had a meeting with my DO, I asked her why I have not been approached to care for a 2 year old with funding in place, I was told I do not live in the right area and I never will, the village I live in is to affluent. I don't think so, the majority of the children that go to the local school are from one parent families (I am not being nasty when I say this so no one jump down my throat about one parent families), the children from these parents have school dinners, etc, i.e. the parent would qualify for the 2 year old funding for their other children but because the HVs will not refer them no parents round here are getting the help they need.
The school is advertising that the nursery will soon be opening for 2 year olds so guess who is going to get the funding, yes you got it the school, childminders do not stand a chance round here.
Teacake2

its so wrong teacake. in the next phase (i.e. outside of the pilot) the qualifying requirements are changing but it might differ from area to area. Here the new requirements will still be that a child or family is needing access to at least one service but can qualify without a CAF needing to be already in place - however, having FSM would still not qualify them. If they can't get their HV to refer them and they are needing support they would need to try to speak to family support services and get referred that way?

I have the same problem with placements. Most of the parents who qualify live too far away and most don't drive or need to get older children to schools near them so drop off is hard to other areas.

hectors house
07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
3 letters typed Ms Truss, Mr Gove and local MP - used your points and added some more personal bits, moved a few things around just so it doesn't look the same as everyone elses letters! - thank you for wording the points so well.

samb
07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Teacake2

In Surrey accredited childminders can refer 2 year olds for FEET funding if they meet the criteria