PDA

View Full Version : OMG some people

izzy23
06-02-2013, 06:17 PM
I just need to vent.
So yesterday I had to take the afternoon off from after school care at the last minute due to an unexpected family issue, never great, but couldn't be helped and let parent know the day before, no fee charged etc, so today just now at collection time, parent insists on talking to me outside, face like thunder etc, wants to know what is wrong, 2 afternoons off within a short space of time (true I was off 3rd week in January one afternoon as it was MY BIRTHDAY, and she had well over 2 weeks notice of that), confrontational, aggressive nature, accusing me of not being able to look her in the eye on Monday evening because I clearly felt to guilty that I had texted her earlier to say i wouldn't be able to work the next day when picking up kids from the same after school club (well I am sorry, I didn't look at anyone, I was tired and stressed and I just wanted to collect my lo and go home to the warmth). Horrible horrible experience, not the first time this has happened with this parent, couple of weeks back spotted head lice in mindees hair, didn't instigate my policy of collect straight away take home and treat as it wasn't far off her home time, but did send a text notifying mum in advance so we didn't have to have a conversation about it in front of mindee at home time, but yet again its all need a word with you outside etc, all very questioning and slightly confrontational again on that occasion, seriously I AM JUST DOING MY JOB. And yes, I am not superwoman, I am human and not infallible, and sometimes I will be off sick or whatever at short notice, I did say to her this evening how would you respond if your employer summoned you aside and spoke to you like you just have to me.....
So I am spending tonight seriously considering the future of this contract....
:(
RANT OVER.

LauraS
06-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Firstly, she shouldn't be talking to you in a way that you find intimidating, that is inexcusable. It sounds as if, on that basis alone, the relationship is beginning to break down.

With regards time off, how much notice for holiday is specified in your contract? Two weeks doesn't seem like much, my contracts state four, and I have worked for an employer before who required four weeks notice for me to have a day off too, so wouldn't have been able to cover your absence in just two. If she has agreed to two weeks notice in contracts then fair enough, and I would just refer her back to that. However if there isn't a specified notification period for holiday in the contract or you gave less than the time you should have (especially for something trivial like a birthday) then she probablynhas the right to be cross, especially with a further absence only a fortnight later. In the ideal world employers should be flexible enough to accommodate parents in situations like this. In reality a lot of people are fighting to keep their jobs and time off with children puts them in the firing line.

In any case, it sounds like you need to have a sit down one evening and clear the air, or give notice if you think its irretrievable.

izzy23
06-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I always say I give as much possible notice as I can, min of 14 days though in term time unlesssits unexpected like illness related, I never ever take time off in term time anyway, two days or (2 hour session after school) in fact off in three weeks is a very rare occurrence

sarah707
06-02-2013, 06:45 PM
sleep on it and if you still feel the same in the morning then start advertising the space...

Hugs xx

LauraS
06-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Well if you've complied with your notice period, id refer to contract, smile sweetly... and advertise ;)

izzy23
06-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Oh yeah I pointed out my contract points etc, I'm going to do it anyway, I am in the middle of my NVQ level 3 in Teaching Support and have my part time job at the school which is taking up effort etc, think its probably for the best :clapping: but boy oh boy is it good to have a vent sometimes.....