PDA

View Full Version : Who has been on holiday on their own?!

CH1957
06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
As the title says. How did you find it? Im worried about what to do in the evenings when its meal times and sitting in the restaurant on my own! Pathetic I know. Ive got a holiday booked to go on Sunday and just found out that my other half has been having an affair for the past 11 years - thats longer than Ive been with him so I suppose technically that makes me the 'other woman'!!!!! :( Dont know if Ive got the guts to go on my own.:(

SammySplodger
06-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Oh no! That's awful - HUG

I'd still go and take time to really pamper myself (spa/hairdresser?) Best thing to do in restaurants if you are feeling uncomfortable is just to take something to keep you busy while waiting (book/newspaper), but yes, I'd definitely still go if it's booked.

Where are you going? Has HE paid for it?

LauraS
06-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Wow, I'm speechless. I would go, it sounds like my idea of bliss. I'd spend a fortune in waterstones beforehand and spend my days eating, drinking, reading and being warm...

Do you think you would find it harder to be there, though, knowing that it's a holiday you planned together? Do you have a friend who could come and get squiffy and sunburnt with you?

CH1957
06-02-2013, 06:43 PM
No friends to go with me, too short notice with work really.

Tazmin68
06-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Many years ago I went on holiday twice on my own as relationships fell apart. Once to lanzarote and the other to Tunisia. In Tunisia I was at a hotel and it was a large table for about 8 so I was not really on my own. In lanzarote I mainly sun bathed, read and booked on a couple of trips once there I did not regret them more worried getting there. Go girl enjoy treat yourself to an e reader and load it with books!!!!!!!

loocyloo
06-02-2013, 08:06 PM
oh hunny,

big hugs xxx

i haven't been on holiday on my own ... i tried when i was 18 ... just a last minute week in the sun ... my mother decided to come too :rolleyes:

i'd be more than happy to go on my own. to just sit around in the sun & relax.

take some books, music and headphones and have a good break

xxx

TAZ
06-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Go on the holiday & enjoy it - the other option is the housework!!!!

sarah707
06-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Oh hunny I am so sorry. Some time away will be good for you :group hug:

Take some books / e-reader, a few magazines - puzzler ones are good... does the hotel have wifi? You could take a little tablet and play games.

Enjoy your break we are all here for you when you get back xx

mazza58
06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Oh how sad , but think of shirley valentine if its a holiday in the sun sit read, relax pamper and have a wine or two. I always find that when on holiday people speak to each other around the pool etc, go for it surely its better than not going and sitting here with this horrible weather feeling sorry for yourself. Sending hugs

pipandbaz
06-02-2013, 08:43 PM
You go and pamper yourself no ifs or buts xxxx
Chin up girl

chriss
06-02-2013, 09:33 PM
What a ****bag is all I can say ((hugs))

Maza
06-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Sending you hugs.

A couple of friends go on holiday alone. One because she is happily single and another one because her hubby can't get much time off work and she just enjoys the travel. I went through a phase of popping into the local pub on my own after work for a quick glass of wine and to do a bit of paperwork. I quite enjoyed the feeling of liberation that it gave me! Some restaurants/bars are easier to do this in than others, so just choose places where you feel comfortable. You could always get room service a couple of times or get bread and stuff from a supermarket and eat in your room when you don't feel up for it. If they do have wi fi you can come on here and chat to us! x

CH1957
06-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all your lovely replies. I know I should go but Im such a wimp! 55 years old and never been on holiday on my own. We have an all inclusive hotel booked so it is only eating in the same place each day. I still cant decide, Im trying to talk myself into it and convince myself that it'll do my confidence the power of good :D

wendywu
06-02-2013, 09:54 PM
I would have no problem going on my own i can read solid for two weeks any way, take a tablet and use wifi and talk to us on here while we slave away with dirty nappies and you are dipping your toes in the water.

OR ( now this is the wicked side of me coming out now ) really screw with the other womans head and take him with you, she would be beside herself :ROFL1:

CH1957
06-02-2013, 10:04 PM
I would have no problem going on my own i can read solid for two weeks any way, take a tablet and use wifi and talk to us on here while we slave away with dirty nappies and you are dipping your toes in the water.

OR ( now this is the wicked side of me coming out now ) really screw with the other womans head and take him with you, she would be beside herself :ROFL1:

She wants nothing more to do with him again, nor do I. Her and I have had a long chat today and we've both found out so many lies he's told us both, the way he has played one of us off against the other is just unbelievable. Lewis in Corrie is a puppy compared to him!!

wendywu
06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
She wants nothing more to do with him again, nor do I. Her and I have had a long chat today and we've both found out so many lies he's told us both, the way he has played one of us off against the other is just unbelievable. Lewis in Corrie is a puppy compared to him!!

Then wind him up and take her :clapping:

CH1957
06-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Then wind him up and take her :clapping:

Funnily enough, I already asked her :laughing:

SammySplodger
06-02-2013, 10:14 PM
wendywu I was about to say that!

Hols can be fab for life planning stuff. I always take a notebook to work stuff out.

x

emmamc
06-02-2013, 11:18 PM

Love it! Now there's a story to tell around the pool! :D

Porridge
07-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Go! I have the *best* feeling about this. Xx

chriss
07-02-2013, 12:32 AM
You could use that time to write a short story of "yourLewis" and send it in to womens magazine...or jeremy Kyle. Seriously though, I would pluck up the courage to go, it will be hard, but O bet it will give u a bit of a boost too x

jackie 7
07-02-2013, 09:50 AM
I too am 55 and I have been on holiday by my self.i worked as a nanny. We spent most of the summer in Nantucket an expensive island off cape cod. I started by going away to the mainland for a night them several in Boston. The last time I went alone I rented a car. Stayed in several hotels and took the train to New York. You can do it and as Sarah said an e book is great. The evenings will not be as hard as you might think. The main problem I found is that I enjoyed it!! I decided whet and when I ate. I choose where to go. Oh the fun of it. Flying by myself!!! Go with a positive attitude and have fun. Read all the books you want to read. Have fun and a rest.

saintsue
07-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi i am so sorry, i know how you are feeling i found out on boxing day my hubby was seeing someone else,
he want us to try again and try and sort it out. I am trying but dont know if i can do it.
I would go if i was you, have some me time. Thinking about you. Be strong. love Sue
PM Me any time if you want to chat. xxx

The Juggler
07-02-2013, 12:59 PM
so sorry to hear what happened honey. I would enjoy it. loads of mags and books, eat when you like, sleep when you like and generally please yourself.

It will do you the world of good given what's just happened to you xxx

nipper
07-02-2013, 01:06 PM

Good for you!:clapping: