View Full Version : Registering as a business

06-02-2013, 05:16 PM
I have passed my pre-reg visit and have food standards agency coming out next Tuesday but how do I register as a business? I know I have to do it through HMRC but their website is difficult to determine which tax and which National insurance I have to register to pay. I want to be registered from this monday (11th Feb) as my maternity finishes then so I dont want any period where I am classed as unemployed, any help would be great.
Thanks everyone

06-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Normally,as a childminder you would register as self employed rather than as a business with HMRC. You will then be sent bills for Class 2 NI & You're Class 4 NI will be worked out when you submit your self assessment tax form this will be sent to you about 6th April 2013 for accounts April 2012-April 2013.

NI as a self employed Child minder you pay class 2 at £2.65/ week regardless of earnings (unless income under £5595) & class 4 which is worked out by HMRC on completion of your tax form (but is 9% of earnings over the exempt limit of £7605)

06-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Does anyone know what difference re tax if u are registered as a business compared to self employed ?