PDA

View Full Version : Fed up of being a pushover

pinklady756
06-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm finally had enough and decided enough is enough.

For the last 6 months 2 of my spaces for 4 days of the week have been taken for siblings who only actually attend and pay for 2.5 days childcare.

The arrangement was originally for 3-4 days childcare which I was fine with, but they very quickly reduced to 3 and then 2.5 but still wanted flexibility over 4 days. Stupidly I just went along with it.

Financially it's a problem as I work 1 day every week for a third my normal wage as it would be impossible to fill the spaces as it varies every week.

It also leaves me in the situation that I have 1 child who is on their own each week and this isn't fair on them, the LO today was so upset that they didn't have their friends to play with, (a last minute change as siblings should have been here today) and it was too short notice to arrange a play-date.

What would you do in my shoes? I'm not even sure paying for the full 4 days would be the answer (not that they would) because I still have LO's on their own.

AliceK
06-02-2013, 05:32 PM
I sometimes have a LO on their own (until school collection time ) as all my EY's children are shift workers and sometimes I might only have 1 of them. On those days I use the time to give them extra 1-1 time with me and we very often go out somewhere which may not be possible with 3 / 4 children in tow, or I provide resources for them which they may not always be able to have out (depending on age) or I arrange a meet up with another childminder. I really like having the ocassional time where I can just focus on 1 child.
I would feel annoyed if I were you about the financial side but I wouldn't worry about just having the one on their own too much.

xxx

wendywu
06-02-2013, 05:58 PM
I would fill the spaces and then give notice you are a business after all. Or make them pay a minimum for the days they are keeping for spaces .:panic:

LauraS
06-02-2013, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't worry about the child on their own either, I have the same three mornings a week with a just-turned four y.o at the moment and it's nice to spend one on one time. This morning we did some phonics and some photography, two things she loves but we cannot do so well with little ones present.

I suppose that if the contract no longer suits you then you need to tell the parents that you will be charging for all four days and give notice of this, but expect them to be miffed and give notice to terminate in response. To be fair to them, it is kind of your fault for agreeing to the flexibility so not really their fault, but I can understand how easy it is to agree to things when put on the spot... agree in haste, repent at leisure!

pinklady756
06-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I do accept that I have myself to blame for going along with things for their sake of an easy life. What's really getting to me is that they feel they can change with little notice, ring an hour before they're due to be here and want the next day instead. I keep re-iterating that once agreed we need to stick to it, but goes in one ear and out the other. I need to toughen up!

Although I agreed to be flexible it was supposed to be an alternating pattern so I would know where I was each week (week 1, week 2 repeating iykwim), suffice to say they aren't sticking to that.

Thanks for all the advice for just 1 mindee, it has been concerning me, I hate seeing the disappointed little faces when they realise their friends aren't coming.

LauraS
06-02-2013, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't like chopping and changing either, even if they paid for all four days. I would want to know before the weekend my days for the coming week at least, if not a fortnight before. It's too unsettling and wasteful on resources to prepare things in expectation of them coming, only to have a last minute phone call.

kellib
06-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I have shift workers on my books too but I made it clear that I need dates well on advance or I wouldn't be able to guarantee care (I would but they don't know that!) anyway mum now provides me dates a term in advance so I can plan my days.

As one LO only comes 2 days a week, different days each week depending on parents shifts, it can work out that some days I have 3 LO's and some days just one. I love the days when it's just one if I'm honest, it's nice not to feel so hectic! I've just got one tomorrow so we're off to a soft play centre that I wouldn't be able to take 3 to, I would lose at least one of them lol