PDA

View Full Version : GCSE requirements

claire1982
06-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Hi there, currently doing my cypop5 course, and i want to know something about these new requirements that the goverment are planning, will childminders also need to have GCSE'S grade c or above in maths and english or is it just nursery workers?thanks :eek:

sarah707
06-02-2013, 06:29 PM
It is not law yet - nothing has changed yet - however, the document is not really clear is it? ... hmmm another question to ask :rolleyes:

Early Years Educators.
We must also improve the quality of people below graduate level working in the early years. In future, people will train at Level 3 to become Early Years Educators. Only the best qualifications, which meet rigorous criteria set out by the Teaching Agency, will earn the ‘Early Years Educator’ title. All Early Years Educators will be required to have at least a C grade in GCSE English and maths. They will often act as assistants to Early Years Teachers.
It is our aspiration that over time, group childcare will increasingly be delivered by Early Years Teachers and Early Years Educators.
We hope parents will come to recognise these titles as benchmarks of quality.

SammySplodger
06-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Sarah - any idea how the new qualifications requirement might work for someone with Maths & English and a (non-childcare related) degree? Will I still have to do a level 3?

BTW: your posts generally make me feel soooo much happier about all the **** currently going on for CMs :-D I would like to give you a huge box of imaginary online chocolates: ...... there you go!
Thank you!

mumphie
06-02-2013, 09:48 PM
I am about to start my level 3. I have a teaching degree but not in Early Years so was told I still need to do it. I also have GCSE's but they are too old. Level 3 here I come.

JaneyB
06-02-2013, 10:01 PM
I've 7 O levels, 3 A-levels from the late 1970's (yes - I'm old), 25 years IT project management experience, 5 years running my own gardening business, CYPOP5 and 2 years full on experience in the job of my dreams - childminding. But I am completely cheesed off with the government and their changes. I'm not doing a level 3 until it's standardised across the country (Level 3 what?) and an absolute requirement as I can see all of this being all upturned on the whim of the government - again.

SammySplodger
06-02-2013, 10:02 PM
GCSEs too old? really? Do you have to re-do them? I have O Level Maths and English, so reeeeeeeally old. I though once you got them that was that. Someone please verify?!

How long does a level 3 take, how much does it cost and what hours do you need to put in to pass on a part time course?

Ta :-D

lilac_dragon
06-02-2013, 10:06 PM
It is not law yet - nothing has changed yet - however, the document is not really clear is it? ... hmmm another question to ask :rolleyes:

Early Years Educators.
We must also improve the quality of people below graduate level working in the early years. In future, people will train at Level 3 to become Early Years Educators. Only the best qualifications, which meet rigorous criteria set out by the Teaching Agency, will earn the ‘Early Years Educator’ title. All Early Years Educators will be required to have at least a C grade in GCSE English and maths. They will often act as assistants to Early Years Teachers.
It is our aspiration that over time, group childcare will increasingly be delivered by Early Years Teachers and Early Years Educators.
We hope parents will come to recognise these titles as benchmarks of quality.

But Saaaaraaaah..........I'm so old that I have GCE's not GCSE's!!!!!!!!!:blush::blush::blush:

SammySplodger
06-02-2013, 10:07 PM
JaneyB - Have 9 O Levels, 3 A Levels and a BA Hons - all of the 'vintage' variety (ahem!) followed by 12 years experience of high pressure, responsible (much better paid!) work.

Cannot believe I really need to do yet MORE training! There should be some sort of points system. Think I might hold fire on this one too... it's bound to change AGAIN!

2kidsunder5
06-02-2013, 10:34 PM
I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will be along to correct me. If, and when, the new reforms come into place the GCSE maths and english will only be a requirement for NEW childminders. Us oldies should be ok :blush:

JCrakers
06-02-2013, 11:06 PM
I do have a GCSE c grade in English but only a D in maths. But my NNEB is equivalent to an A level.

My mindees can count to the required level but my lack of maths skills means they are not doing so well with their fractions and algebra...tut..tut.

;p

LauraS
06-02-2013, 11:57 PM
I have the required gcses but no certificates as proof. I do, however, have four A levels in maths, English, chemistry and biology, grades were three As, a B. Plus industry specific professional quals and experience.

When applying for jobs in the public sector in previous years which required maths and English at grade c and above, I was sometimes rejected as I did not (could not prove I had) the required gcses. Despite the fact I had a levels in those subjects at good grades. Despite prof. quals. Despite proof of my professional competence (in an industry where we were regularly audited and could therefore demonstrate competence easily).

That's the public sector.for you, logic.and common sense often doesnt apply. I am look forward to being forced to resit my gcses. ;)

shortstuff
07-02-2013, 06:32 AM
I had to prove i was competant to GCSE standard C or above to be able to complete the CYPOP 5 course. You do this on learn direct using a level checker. Hth :-)

wendywu
07-02-2013, 08:26 AM
I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will be along to correct me. If, and when, the new reforms come into place the GCSE maths and english will only be a requirement for NEW childminders. Us oldies should be ok :blush:

E Truss was saying that the numbers of CM had dropped by half in the recent years ( im sure i read that somewhere) so no way would she make existing minders resit exams. They would leave in droves. I think we are safe.

I dont even think i could lay my hands on my O and A level results :panic:

LauraS
07-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I had to prove i was competant to GCSE standard C or above to be able to complete the CYPOP 5 course. You do this on learn direct using a level checker. Hth :-)

Me too, but common sense doesn't always prevail...

SammySplodger
07-02-2013, 10:47 AM
wendywu my conspiracy theory is that Truss and co are deliberately trying to make it difficult for us to continue childminding... They seem to be throwing so many obstacles in our way and the reforms are so destructive that I can't see another (rational) explanation.

SammySplodger
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Gail Tracey - I did CYPOP5 via LA & NCMA - did not have to prove GCSE level!

shortstuff
07-02-2013, 10:49 AM
SammySplodger mine was through the NCMA also. I wonder why there is inconsistency? Which area do you live in?

SammySplodger
07-02-2013, 10:55 AM
East Sussex (not great support generally and often mid-informed)

SammySplodger
07-02-2013, 10:56 AM
MiS-informed!

shortstuff
07-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Strange I'm not far away near Southampton, funny how it appears to be so different all over the place.

mazza58
07-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Whilst at an are you ready for your inspection training last week the coordinator told us that they are not yet saying that childminders need a level 2 or 3 qualification but they are advising all new childminders to do a course for a maths and english if they have not got a gcse in these subjects

wendywu
07-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Whilst at an are you ready for your inspection training last week the coordinator told us that they are not yet saying that childminders need a level 2 or 3 qualification but they are advising all new childminders to do a course for a maths and english if they have not got a gcse in these subjects

Well thats going to put new minders off then isnt it :laughing:

mazza58
07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
certainly is

claire1982
07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
I have only listern to her talking about nursery workers having GCSE's, its a pain coz i don't have c's in maths and english but i have anadvanced GNVQ in Health and Social Care:panic:

jillplum
07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
All this qualification stuff is bizarre. I rencently took NVQ level 3 in CCLD. I have O levels and A level and degree level qualifications but I was required to sit English and Maths Tests for the NVQ. I worked in a Bank for many years and wrote legal documents etc but apparently my O levels were too long ago and experience didnt count :angry: I only took the NVQ as it was offered free and I figured it would be a requirement soon so I may as well do it while it was free.

lilac_dragon
07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
I have 7 GCE’s,
7 A levels, 5 of these were at Grade A.
I am a trained Archivist and Historical Conservationist, and I frequently do Historical research for writers.
I hold a Sports Leaders qualification, and an Archery Instructors qualification.
I have 41 years of childcare experience, - for 29 years and 1 month of that I have been running my self-employed business of being a Registered Childminder. I have run a 2nd successful business alongside childminding for the last 10 years. I have been asked if I would like to go into joint partnership in a 3rd business – still thinking on that one.
I would like to do a Degree, but NOT in childcare

leopardlady
08-02-2013, 12:58 AM
To all the other 'oldies' did you know you can get copies of your 'o' level results? All you need is the awarding board and the sitting period. I was lucky, I did my maths a couple of years ago so had proof, but had to do an english gcse test as I haven't got my 'o' level certificates from 1972 :laughing: But if I had it would have been OK, wheres this 'too old' business come from? AFAIA if you have a qualification you have it, it doesn't go out of date?????????

jillplum
08-02-2013, 02:14 PM
When I did NVQ I had my O level certs available but because it was such a long time ago I had to sit their tests. Maybe different awarding bodies have diferent rules.