PDA

View Full Version : Childs diets!!!! 8-/

maryp0ppins
06-02-2013, 01:25 PM
I do not provide meals only a healthy snack & water, juice & milk......

Example child 1 age 2.5 yrs - tin ravioli , baby bell, crisps & yogurt orbthem fruit winder sweets every day (3days a week) for almost 18 months without much change (maybe occasional tin spaghetti or tin meatballs!! At home she is fed when SHE is hungry so doesn't sit at the table with parents if she wants to play & is then later fed when SHE is ready (sometimes as late as 9pm

Example child 2 age 2.5yrs - chocolate spread sand which, toffee popcorn, chocolate bar & either yogurt or them fruit pouches.

If I got ofsted round when it's my inspection & I dish these out am I going to get grilled??

dette
06-02-2013, 01:32 PM
i suggest that you have an EATING WELL POLICY (healthy eating policy sounds very lettuce and breadstick) in your policy you should have recomended lunch box contents .If parents choose to ignore this then its not your fault.Make sure your snacks are full of fruit ,veg ,carbs and fat.These are essential for energy levels in active toddlers.OFSTED cant mark you down if you show that you have tried and that you think about what snacks you provide,giving sound reasons for your choices.

maryp0ppins
06-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Hi, I do mention both child's lunch boxes etc but after a few times gave up!! I ONLY offer fruit, raisins, cut up salad & things along them lines. only when it's a birthday I offer cake or cookies or something along them lines.

I often send crisps back home as I put chopped fruit on the table "after lunch" & tell lo's if your not going to eat the fruit your not having crisps :-/

One of the lo's tells me "that's disgusting" as I put the fruit plate down !!!!!

helena_j
06-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Lol @ 'that's disgusting' aren't they delightful. I provide meals and youngest age 14 months eats pretty much anything as does my son age 3 and a half other 3 year old minded child eats it but facial expressions show its not something he would often like and tell me he loves McDonald's lol.
When he is picked up he instantly asks to have sweets when he gets home, I provide all food and healthy snacks, I am glad as I can imagine what would come in and also want to keep my little boy eating his usual meals and all eating the same makes it easier.
Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with treats but I think sometimes they are not treats but normal food for some children it's like they have withdrawals without it!
Good luck:-)

smurfette
06-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I have a ten month old starting who is given bottles of sugar and water or squash!! Parents seem delighted she is giving up the formula! Not sure how to tackle that one, had an older one like that who I just told water is all at my house but at ten months she won't understand that will she?!

maryp0ppins
06-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Wow sugared water ...... Erm ok!!! So glad my girls aged 14 & 15 eat healthy but variety so they still get crisps & choc as long as they eat the right things too. My girls roll their eyes at some of they lunch boxes

blue bear
06-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I've I've up worrying abut it all, put my prices up by 20p an hour and i now adjust child's lunch to make it healthier.
so today lo had ham sandwich, a packet of crisp, a chocolate mousse, raisins and 7 bars of chocolate. I wrote in the diary, xxx ate two of her sandwiches, a fromage frais, grapes, some of her crisps, cheese on cracker and banana icecream (frozen banana blended, looks and tastes like banana icecream ) I put all the things she dint eat back in her bag. mum says things like you are so kind giving her a choice or she eats healthier food for you she wont eat for me, she doesn't mind I swap things around

The thing that i find works a treat for fussy eaters is my sharing plate, i put a selection of fruits on for them to share and they eat more because of the competition and those that helped clear the plate then can help clear the plate of crisps, cheese and cracker etc.

mushpea
06-02-2013, 05:58 PM
I provide meals and lunches because then they all get the same and I know I am providing a healthy lunch, they get sandwich or crumpet etc then fruit then rice cake or savory biscuit then yogurt or jelly or home made cake, snack is ususaly fruit or fruit bread or toast. all of mine are happy to eat fruit at the moment so no problems. if you dont eat fruit then you dont get anything else, if children are hungry they will eat.
I also stopped buying all the rubbishy snacky foods like crisps, chewy bars etc as I pig out on them and put on weight:blush:

TAZ
06-02-2013, 08:44 PM
I've found that my school age lot never eat fruit when I just offer it but if I cut it up& put it on one big plate then I can't keep up with the demand as they eat faster than I can chop!!!!:laughing:

wendywu
06-02-2013, 09:58 PM
I do not provide meals only a healthy snack & water, juice & milk......

Example child 1 age 2.5 yrs - tin ravioli , baby bell, crisps & yogurt orbthem fruit winder sweets every day (3days a week) for almost 18 months without much change (maybe occasional tin spaghetti or tin meatballs!! At home she is fed when SHE is hungry so doesn't sit at the table with parents if she wants to play & is then later fed when SHE is ready (sometimes as late as 9pm

Example child 2 age 2.5yrs - chocolate spread sand which, toffee popcorn, chocolate bar & either yogurt or them fruit pouches.

If I got ofsted round when it's my inspection & I dish these out am I going to get grilled??

To be honest with you on your inspection day provide lunch for them, what Ofsted does not know will not hurt them :blush:

JaneyB
06-02-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm with you Wendywu - I have very picky eaters and I couldn't possibly serve the food that Mum says they eat. On an Ofsted day I would pick the healthiest thing they eat! Sometimes you just have to play the Ofsted game. On my one and only inspection one of two recommendations was to give the children choice for their snack. They had been give breadsticks, celery, hummous, apple and raisins. I give up. IMHO choice over food is why we have bad eaters!