PDA

View Full Version : Why don't nannies have to register with Ofsted & deliver the EYFS?

Mouse
06-02-2013, 11:01 AM
If a child's formative years are so important, why aren't nannies included in the EYFS delivery?

The only difference between a nanny & a childminder is that the care is delivered in the child's home & parents employ the nanny. I don't understand how childminding can be so heavily regulated, but nannies aren't.

Any ideas?

sarak31
06-02-2013, 11:32 AM
I think there has been a lot of planning over the years to get to this point - ie the agencies etc going on at the moment - and if you look at the way NCMA have positionedthemselves with nannies, the change of name etc you can see the progress to now. The way nanny agencies work with respect of working with employers and placing nannies isn't too dissimilar to the agency proposal for us (apart from the control over the way that we will work potentially). I also seem to recall seeing that NCMA have formed a relationship with the agency nanny tax to support their nannies. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the agencies covering childminders and nannies together all working as remote workers in our / or someone else's home. I really think that's the way it will go.
So in answer to your question, at the moment they can choose to be registered and ofsted inspects a selection of those registered but I think in the future they will come under the agencies as childminders will. Just me guessing but makes sense to me.

hectors house
06-02-2013, 11:32 AM
I believe that if Nanny's do register with Ofsted parents can use vouchers as payment - but not sure how often they get inspected or if they have to even remotely follow EYFS.

pinky33
06-02-2013, 12:25 PM
I was a nanny for 17 years and to be fair it is a very different job in many respects.

vikiwizz
06-02-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm currantly a nanny, and yes for parents to receive vouchers I need to be registered with OFSTED, which I am.
This does mean that OFSTED can come out to inspect me when ever they want, although this has not happened to me, it very nearly did when I was just about to go on maternity leave so I 'got away with it'
For them to come out to see the nanny the parents of the child/ren you are looking after have to agree to have OFSTED in their house and at the time my family said no.

sarah707
06-02-2013, 06:36 PM
I have a conspiracy theory about nannies and registration... do you want to hear it?? :cool:

The govt set up agencies for childminders...

They fail because existing childminders aren't interested and there are few new childminders coming along...

Govt says 'oh I know we have these agencies all set up now... let's legislate nannies and get them into the agencies'...

NCMA says 'oh what a good idea we have nannies on our books so we are ideally placed to help with this'...

What do you think? :D

hectors house
06-02-2013, 06:42 PM
I really think the whole thing is underhand - I had a newsletter from the children's centre today - the first one I have ever received - my DO must have given them my e-mail address - me thinks they have applied to run an agency?

manjay
06-02-2013, 06:49 PM
I have a conspiracy theory about nannies and registration... do you want to hear it?? :cool:

They fail because existing childminders aren't interested and there are few new childminders coming along...

Govt says 'oh I know we have these agencies all set up now... let's legislate nannies and get them into the agencies'...

NCMA says 'oh what a good idea we have nannies on our books so we are ideally placed to help with this'...

Methinks you are very cynical:p:laughing:

sarah707
06-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Methinks you are very cynical:p:laughing:

Who me?? :huh: :D

loocyloo
06-02-2013, 08:03 PM
but the majority of nannies i knew ( and know ) already belong to an agency or 2 or 3 or 4 :rolleyes:.

my agencies would check out my qualifications & references, ask about first aid ( if i needed to do it, that was down to me (or an employer) and then they would liase with parents and i'd go for interviews. once i'd accepted a job i signed contracts with that family ( either of their/our own making, or once an agency supplied a template i think ) and that was it. no further contact with agency. ( one of mine was great and i did keep in touch, but i also did occaisonal temp work if i was after some extra money or babysitting! ) as a nanny you don't pay the agency anything. the parents have to pay a 'finders' fee. IF i was doing temp work, then depending on the agency, sometimes the family paid me and had already paid an agency fee, or sometimes the family paid the agency and the agency paid me. at no point did i have to pay the agency anything! i can't see nannies being interested!

and what about the hundreds of nanny agencies out there, a little like childcare.co.uk too!

Mouse
06-02-2013, 08:30 PM

At one time I'd have laughed...ha ha...and said "Sarah, you are so silly & cynical!" ;)

Now I'm not so sure :confused:

I just don't understand why for years childminders have been made to register and then to deliver the EYFS, or its predecessors, but nannies have been pretty much left alone. Why is it not deemed important for them to deliver the EYFS? There's now this big shake up of childcare, but still no mention of them. Surely they're not going to be overlooked forever?

hectors house
06-02-2013, 08:58 PM
At one time I'd have laughed...ha ha...and said "Sarah, you are so silly & cynical!" ;)

Now I'm not so sure :confused:

I just don't understand why for years childminders have been made to register and then to deliver the EYFS, or its predecessors, but nannies have been pretty much left alone. Why is it not deemed important for them to deliver the EYFS? There's now this big shake up of childcare, but still no mention of them. Surely they're not going to be overlooked forever?

If they are going to overlooked - I may be joining them - I JUST WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE TO DO THE JOB I LOVE AND AM GOOD AT!

JaneyB
06-02-2013, 10:11 PM
IMHO childminders are the most checked, vetted childcare there is. Those that miss the system, parents that don't use childcare or those that use a nanny, are those that Ofsted should focus on as these are the children that completely miss the EYFS and therefore start mainstream school at a disadvantage.

IMHO

blue bear
07-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Personally I don't see how the government can regulate what goes on in a parents home, it's their choice as long as nothing is abusive or illegal surely it's a parents right to decide how their children are raised and educated? They can only get involved when parents want a contribution from the government in the form of tax credits , tax breaks surely or formal schooling surely.

loocyloo
07-02-2013, 07:51 AM
IMHO childminders are the most checked, vetted childcare there is. Those that miss the system, parents that don't use childcare or those that use a nanny, are those that Ofsted should focus on as these are the children that completely miss the EYFS and therefore start mainstream school at a disadvantage.

IMHO

alot of parents and nannies DO send children to mainstream school ready to 'fly'. when i was a nanny,and alot of nannies i knew, did alot of activities and provided lots of experiences for the children we looked after, similar to how i work as a childminder. alot of children also attend preschool /nursery so do 'get' some EYFS! and an awful lot of the EYFS is just normal things that we all do and every child does, its just that only those professionals adhering to EYFS have to evidence it.

the same way we don't like it when all childminders are tarred with the same brush, please don't tarr all nannies ( and parents ) with the same brush.

when i was a nanny i was happy for there to be a nanny register, but there wasn't one. i know alot of nannies who are registered with ofsted because that is the way parents can claim childcare tax credits, by employing an ofsted registered nanny.

FussyElmo
07-02-2013, 08:00 AM
IMHO

So you think that not going to a cm, nursery etc will mean you start at a school a disadvantage?

Mmm a bit insulting to all the stay at home parents you dont need the efys to prepare the children for school.

Mouse
07-02-2013, 09:05 AM
alot of parents and nannies DO send children to mainstream school ready to 'fly'. when i was a nanny,and alot of nannies i knew, did alot of activities and provided lots of experiences for the children we looked after, similar to how i work as a childminder. alot of children also attend preschool /nursery so do 'get' some EYFS! and an awful lot of the EYFS is just normal things that we all do and every child does, its just that only those professionals adhering to EYFS have to evidence it.

the same way we don't like it when all childminders are tarred with the same brush, please don't tarr all nannies ( and parents ) with the same brush.

when i was a nanny i was happy for there to be a nanny register, but there wasn't one. i know alot of nannies who are registered with ofsted because that is the way parents can claim childcare tax credits, by employing an ofsted registered nanny.

I agree completely with what you're saying. I'm not saying nannies DON'T do activities etc with the children. I agree that a lot of the EYFS is every day stuff and the nannies I know would have no problem showing how they're helping the children's development.

I just wonder why it's not a section of the childare market that the government tries to control.

Mouse
07-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Personally I don't see how the government can regulate what goes on in a parents home, it's their choice as long as nothing is abusive or illegal surely it's a parents right to decide how their children are raised and educated? They can only get involved when parents want a contribution from the government in the form of tax credits , tax breaks surely or formal schooling surely.

I wonder if that's the difference, that childminders are in their own home, but nannies are in a parent's home. I suppose a nanny can't be held responsible for the premises, whereas a childminder can be.

But what about the nannies who are Ofsted registered? Parents can claim tax credits etc if they use an Ofsted registered nanny, but there are no Ofsted inspections for nannies. As far as I know it's simply a case of paying the fee & being registered. Should the government be able to get involved if a nanny registers with Ofsted, or is just too difficult for them to do it?

loocyloo
07-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I wonder if that's the difference, that childminders are in their own home, but nannies are in a parent's home. I suppose a nanny can't be held responsible for the premises, whereas a childminder can be.

But what about the nannies who are Ofsted registered? Parents can claim tax credits etc if they use an Ofsted registered nanny, but there are no Ofsted inspections for nannies. As far as I know it's simply a case of paying the fee & being registered. Should the government be able to get involved if a nanny registers with Ofsted, or is just too difficult for them to do it?

AFAIK an ofsted registered nanny CAN be inspected, but not many are, plus i think the family who employ the nanny have to agree to have ofsted come to do an inspection. however, i don't know what they inspect them on!

jackie 7
07-02-2013, 09:27 AM
When I was a nanny I prepared the children for school. They did go to nursery and lots of groups. No they were not disadvantaged because I didn't have to follow the eyfs. They were allowed to develops at their own pace. Now was that because I was interested in their development.

Mouse
07-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Please, I hope nobody thinks my original question was in anyway knocking nannies.

I know some fab nannies & know what they do with the children. I'm not in anyway saying nannies are no good because they don't follow the EYFS.

When the government is so focussed on learning outcomes etc, my question was simply asking why do they not try to regulate nannies, who play just as important a role in early years care & education as childminders & nurseries do?

vikiwizz
07-02-2013, 10:34 AM
When you're an OFSTED registered nanny you have to have a first aid certificate, insurance and I think a qualification but I'm not 100 % on the latter as it was a while ago that I registered. You can be inspected but it doesn't happen very offten and like I said in previous post, the parents have to agree to OFSTED coming into their house.
To be honest I think it would be hard for OFSTED to regulate Nannies under the currant 'umbrella' as for example as a nanny I'm not responsible for the first aid kit here but as a childminder you are. I work as a Nanny totally under the parents and what they say as I'm EMPLOYED by them, so if OFSTED came round and said I should be doing one thing and the parents say the opposite who wins?

sarah707
07-02-2013, 06:47 PM
When I was a nanny I prepared the children for school. They did go to nursery and lots of groups. No they were not disadvantaged because I didn't have to follow the eyfs. They were allowed to develops at their own pace. Now was that because I was interested in their development.

Yes jackie - it's because you were interested in the children. You weren't doing it for a bit extra money - or to learn English - or to watch tV all day - to you it was an important job.

I think there's a huge difference between the majority of nannies who are trained and dedicated just like us - and others who are doing the job for other reasons.

:D