PDA

View Full Version : Schools to be agency

JCrakers
06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
I've just had an email from my early years team saying that schools will be encouraged to be an agency for childminders.

Sorry if his has been posted before, I've been run off my feet for two days solid and haven't really been on.

tori4
06-02-2013, 01:38 PM
This is what my CO is being lead to believe

CM will b used for the 'wrap around care' sch need to be seen to provide

FussyElmo
06-02-2013, 02:21 PM
This is what my CO is being lead to believe

CM will b used for the 'wrap around care' sch need to be seen to provide

How I wonder? Our local primary school has 4 working cms not sure we could provide the service they want without it being an afterschool club. Also what would we do with our younder children :thumbsup:

miffy
06-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Our local school has it's own breakfast and after school club provided on the premises by the local nursery. It does not promote childminders at all and I can't see that it would want to be an agency unless there was stacks of money in it or it meant they could get rid of us altogether.

Miffy xx

Mouse
06-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Our local school has it's own breakfast and after school club provided on the premises by the local nursery. It does not promote childminders at all and I can't see that it would want to be an agency unless there was stacks of money in it or it meant they could get rid of us altogether.

Miffy xx

Same here. Our school is linked to the local pre-school & has it running their breakfast club. I can't imagine them wanting to work with childminders, especially if they have to be resposible for training, registration etc.

SYLVIA
06-02-2013, 04:02 PM
the four schools in our area do not support cm's. I have asked if they would consider a list of childminders that could ofer care to under school age sublings, to help parents with older children in school. I was just told they were not intrested and they had their own before and after school clubs. So they are going to be very helpful as an agency aren't they!

jadavi
06-02-2013, 05:31 PM
One of the articles suggested that childminders could set up an agency themselves. Do you think one person could do that?

loocyloo
06-02-2013, 05:37 PM
One of the articles suggested that childminders could set up an agency themselves. Do you think one person could do that?

With information about requirements I think it might be possible but not as a full time childminder!

My school is great & does support minders...but only 2 at school plus before & after school club.

JCrakers
06-02-2013, 06:52 PM
I did wonder how this would work when I got the email. My local school is ok and I'm well known there because both my children go/went there but they have an on site afterschool club run by a local nursery.
Plus how are they going to find time to sort me out with children whether they are school children or preschool? Teachers are all busy and the head is also busy as she's never around when I want her...lol

This is what my email said, from Leicestershire

Briefing on the Government response to Professor Nutbrown’s review: More Great Childcare - Raising quality and giving parents more choice

Here are the key points:

Ofsted
Only indicator of quality for 2, 3 and 4 year old free early education funding.
Broker support between poorer performing settings and higher performing settings.
Providers will be able to pay for earlier inspections.

Schools
Strongly encouraged to take younger children.
Removing the Ofsted registration for schools who take 2 year olds.
Schools will be encouraged to be childminder agencies.

Qualifications
New Early Years Teacher qualification (from September 2013) at same level as Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
New Early Years Educator qualification (level 3) from September 2014.
Early Years Professional's (EYP) will become Early Years Teachers and won’t have to be (QTS).
The responsibility for developing and maintaining professional standards will shift to the providers themselves.

Ratios
From September 2013 settings with higher qualified staff can use high staff to children ratios.
Consultation on the percentages of higher qualified staff needed to operate the higher staff ratios will come in the spring.

sarah707
06-02-2013, 06:59 PM
But hang on just a minute...

These same schools who might be setting up as childminder agencies are going to be...

- Encouraged to take children at age 2

- Encouraged to set up before and after school clubs

Whose best interests do you think they will have at heart when vacancy requests come through? :huh:

The 'powers that be' must think we are stupid... well we're not! :D

LauraS
07-02-2013, 12:10 AM
But hang on just a minute...

These same schools who might be setting up as childminder agencies are going to be...

- Encouraged to take children at age 2

- Encouraged to set up before and after school clubs

Whose best interests do you think they will have at heart when vacancy requests come through? :huh:

The 'powers that be' must think we are stupid... well we're not! :D

Precisely. Perhaps the school most local to me will become my agency. They have never run any out of school care, but their children are shipped out to a church run out of school club instead and they don't support childminders.

Or the next school along, who run all the out of school care in-house.

If not, perhaps one of the two day nurseries local to me? Will it be the one graded inadequate (with a truely woeful ofsted report) before Christmas or the other one, who also failed inspection last month for failing to meet the requirements of both registers?

Because clearly I will.be a better childminder once they intervene :s