PDA

View Full Version : help needed

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 09:08 AM
My parents hours are contracted 9 till 4. Each day she turns up between 8.45 - 9.00. i handed her a letter stating what her hours were and to arrive at 9 or after as i have other commitments etc. Well today she turned up at 8.45 and left at 9. Would you charge her for this time?? Im feeding myself and baby at this time so i have to stop what im doing because she has turned up. Shes done this for last 8 weeks!!! Shes basically usong my service for an extra hour per week for free.

dette
06-02-2013, 09:13 AM
i have one that comes at 7 40 and leaves at 7 45.i bill from 7 45.i think if it was any longer i would charge but we use that 5 mins to do hand over.15 mins is a bit long for a hand over though.next time just leave her knocking until its nearly time then say sorry were you knocking ,didnt expect you this early i was drying my hair

wendywu
06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Tell her that you need this time for you and your baby and you will NOT be opening the door until 9. Or she can pay for another 5 hours per week contracted ( you do not do part hours do you ! ) :mad:

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Her son comes 9 till 12.30 i drop him at nursery ( have to drive there) she also has had me drop daughter home twice for no extra pay. I stated in the letter i will charge £5 for each home drop payable at drop. She turns up almost everyday 15 mins early. Shes only been coming since December. Feel like shes using me! !! Also she said cos her ex had her son she would need to collect kids at 3.30 so she wanted to bring them half hour early. I said yes but told her as its out of contracted hours i would charge. Also i have a course all day on 14th and cant have the kids. She told me she would send them friday instead ( not contracted day) Am i right to say no to working on the friday. This is only day i get to spend quality time with my daughter and baby.

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I charge £2 per half hour. Should i charge £2 still or £1?

dette
06-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Her son comes 9 till 12.30 i drop him at nursery ( have to drive there) she also has had me drop daughter home twice for no extra pay. I stated in the letter i will charge £5 for each home drop payable at drop. She turns up almost everyday 15 mins early. Shes only been coming since December. Feel like shes using me! !! Also she said cos her ex had her son she would need to collect kids at 3.30 so she wanted to bring them half hour early. I said yes but told her as its out of contracted hours i would charge. Also i have a course all day on 14th and cant have the kids. She told me she would send them friday instead ( not contracted day) Am i right to say no to working on the friday. This is only day i get to spend quality time with my daughter and baby.

i dont think you can charge £5 drop off fee as you are then running a taxi (unless you are walking then its fine
as for dropping off early ,she should be asking you not telling you ,its up to you if you want to or not
i try to be flexible if i cant work for any reason so i probably would do the friday instead (making it clear that it is only because you are on training and that friday is usually your family time )but if you have plans already then tell her no

dette
06-02-2013, 09:53 AM
I charge £2 per half hour. Should i charge £2 still or £1?

if you charge by the half hour then its £2 ,up to you if you want to do it by the quarter but it hardly feels worth it

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Only reason i said i would charge is because i know she wouldnt ask again!!! At 4pm im usually cooking tea so i cant actually do it. Might use that as an excuse!!!! Yeah i shall charge £2 for this extra 15 mins and add it as extras to her invoice. Xx

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Grrrrr why cant parents stick to the contract!

shortstuff
06-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I must be harsh i would charge her for everyday she has arrived early since you reminded her of the contracted hours. Also it is entirely up to you if you have them on the friday if you dont usually work that day. It sounds as though you have been too accomodating and she is just doing what you allow her to do. Sorry, just my opinion :-)

bunyip
06-02-2013, 10:55 AM
The way you tackle this depends on what the problem is. Either:-

You don't want the child there early, not for any money, or....
....you'd happily change the contract and open the door to lo at 0845 if you were being paid for it.

If you don't want an early arrival, then say so and refuse to do it. In that case it's not a question of how much extra you'd charge (or you offer a 'deterrant rate' which is way off the scale ;) ) If you're prepared to accept at 0845 for the right fee, then tell mum she has to stick to the contract or negotiate a new one - and if you don't want to do the extra time, then say so. :thumbsup:

It can be hard to act firm and it not just look like you're being 'difficult'. But it's your home life as well as your business, and parents need to know where you've drawn a line. I'd ask the parent why she needs to come early. It may be one of those situations where, if she left a few minutes later, she could get stuck in traffic (and there are just as many CMs getting angry and frustrated with parents who arrive late and disrupt the routine.)

If you already charge by the 1/2, then stick to it. Switch to 1/4 hours and the next thing you know, someone will be trying to work out your rates by the minute! :panic:

Final point. As another member suggested, be careful about how you officially describe drop-offs by car. I'd say you need to be clear that you're charging for your time, and that the driving is incidental to that. Some LA's are very hot on anything like this and can insist you become licneced, registered, insured, and pay them a fee as a cab owner. :eek:

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Thankyou all for the advise. Im gonna tell her i cant do it as have other commitments. Also she told me she wants me to have her son till 3 during half term so i wont have a break for 2 weeks x i need some time with my own kiddies x

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 10:58 AM
My hours are 8 till 6 but shes the only parent i have. She asked for 9 till 4. Only lives doen the road too.

mushpea
06-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Presumably she's paying you till 3 during term time in which case you are obliged to have him, if she's only paying till you drop at nursery then either tell her you need to renegotiate contracts to hold open the holiday space or tell her you can't as you have made other arrangments, as for the times tell her as from mnday if she drops of early you will be charging her, how much is up to you either by the hour or half hour or tell her you need the time so wint be opening the door till 9am, I used to have one turn up early so I took the baterrys out the door bell and ignored the knocking, get tough or she will push you around

FussyElmo
06-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Presumably she's paying you till 3 during term time in which case you are obliged to have him, if she's only paying till you drop at nursery then either tell her you need to renegotiate contracts to hold open the holiday space or tell her you can't as you have made other arrangments, as for the times tell her as from mnday if she drops of early you will be charging her, how much is up to you either by the hour or half hour or tell her you need the time so wint be opening the door till 9am, I used to have one turn up early so I took the baterrys out the door bell and ignored the knocking, get tough or she will push you around

Agree with the other if the 15 mins is infringing on your time tell her you will not be opening the door till then unless its prearranged or she wishes to change the terms of the contract and pay from 830.

Im not sure what your contract is - is it a termtime one and has she paid a retainer if yes then sorry but yes you have been paid to keep a place open for him in the holidays. If its a tto and no retainer then no you dont have to be available.

Personally if I was on a training day and I could I would probably do the friday as its not really their fault childcare is not available that day. If you feel you really dont want to do it then just deduct the days pay and inform her.

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Its not in her contract for me to have him till 3 but yes im charging usual rate. I may have to give her another letter as i only gave it to her friday.

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Infact in her contract it states 9 to 12.30 monday to thursday only. No retainers have been paid at all!! I just dont see why she expects me to be open for whatever time she wants to turn up!! Im eating breakfast and feeding my baby then.i have to go out just before 8 to take my daughter to nursery so most the time ive just got back then she turns up early. Thats why im ranting. I even stated in the letter to only arrive at 9 or after due to the fact i take daughter to nursery and i have to go to shops on my way back.

dette
06-02-2013, 02:25 PM
make sure you stay out untill 9 for the next few times.she'll get the message.if you are only contracted until 12 30 then the additional hours in the holidays can be charged at an enhanced rate.if she has a problem with this then say she will need to pay a retainer for the hours until 3 during term time to guarantee the space in the holidays.if you dont want to work after half 12 then maybe she needs a different childminder

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 02:36 PM
I dont mind doing but she seems to dictate how i work x its all extra cash coming in xxx

dette
06-02-2013, 03:13 PM
it is quite common for parents to require different hours in the holidays but this should be in your contract,i think you should have a sit down and explain that as it isnt contracted you need to amend the contract to reflect the holidays.once it is contracted she will have to pay you and you will have to work it.you decide what rates and which holidays you are prepared to work and book your holiday time off asap to ensure you and your family get some time together

emarshall82
06-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Thankyou all for your help. I will def have a chat with her about it xx