PDA

View Full Version : Petition against childminders charging for bank holidays!!

justgoodfriends
05-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Stop childminders/nurserys charging us when THEY are closed for bank holidays or personal holidays - e-petitions (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37929)

I have had enough of child-minders & nursery’s been allowed to charge us when they are closed or on holidays. Childcare costs enough as it is without us having to be charged full price when childcare places don’t even have our children. The Government wants more new mums back to work!! How’s this possible when families are paying extra for childcare they don’t get and losing money by taking time off to care for the children themselves? Its time this was stopped and made illegal. I wouldn’t pay for a taxi I haven’t had a lift in, why should we pay for childcare we don’t get? I want the Government to step in and make this an illegal act so families are only paying for the childcare they actually receive.

sarah707
05-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh my word! Is that for real? :laughing:

FussyElmo
05-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Really :rolleyes:

samb
05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Oh yeah and it is totally unacceptable when you are paying to go away on holiday and stay somewhere else for a week to still have to pay your rent/mortgage- I mean how out of order is that?!

silvermist
05-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Oh for goodness sake! :rolleyes:

Wheelybug
05-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I wonder if those that have signed the petition will be handing back the wages they get for NOT working bank holidays. Seriously, b/h are the ONLY paid holiday I get in a year. Just shows how much the parents that have signed value their childcare :mad:

WibbleWobble
05-02-2013, 09:25 PM
netmums......i bet

wibble x

loocyloo
05-02-2013, 09:44 PM
I wonder if those that have signed the petition will be handing back the wages they get for NOT working bank holidays. Seriously, b/h are the ONLY paid holiday I get in a year. Just shows how much the parents that have signed value their childcare :mad:

and i don't even work mondays now, so don't get that benefit !!!

Loushah
05-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Only 10 signatures so far (not doing too well ;-) ) .... I bet she wouldn't tell her boss, not to pay her for bank holidays and holidays as she is not 'actually' working.

miffy
05-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I bet she wouldn't want to pay if her child is ill either.

So glad I am not her childminder!

Miffy xx

harleyrider
05-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Ohh what a joy she must be to have as a parent!!
Although I do agree that the Gov should step in to make it make sure we get payed for what we actually work!! :-)

bunyip
06-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't suppose we could start an e-petition for the compulsory sterilization of potential parents who don't have 2 braincells to rub together.

Could we? :rolleyes:

jake
06-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Is this a joke????

carol cameron
06-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Is this a joke????

My thoughts exactly, it's got to be a wind up !!!
How about a petition to make it illegal for parents to pay childminders a week after the fees are due ????? Wonder how many parents would sign that................... ?
:laughing:

Cottonsocks
06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
I've obviously given in to the pressure!! I've never charged for Bank Holidays, as I'm closed... ;-)

Cammie Doodle
06-02-2013, 02:04 PM
I've obviously given in to the pressure!! I've never charged for Bank Holidays, as I'm closed... ;-)

Me neither, I cant charge for a service if Im closed !!!!!

MrAnchovy
06-02-2013, 02:07 PM
I don't think it's a joke - I think it is a heartfelt plea from a childminder's CUSTOMER saying that he (he gives his name as David) is not happy with one aspect of the service he uses. How would you feel if your electricity supplier cut you off on Monday and still expected you to pay for the electricity you haven't used? Would you want the electricity supplier to listen to your complaint and think about how they can improve their service, or would you expect them to treat you with contempt?

FussyElmo
06-02-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's a joke - I think it is a heartfelt plea from a childminder's CUSTOMER saying that he (he gives his name as David) is not happy with one aspect of the service he uses. How would you feel if your electricity supplier cut you off on Monday and still expected you to pay for the electricity you haven't used? Would you want the electricity supplier to listen to your complaint and think about how they can improve their service, or would you expect them to treat you with contempt?

But no one forced him to sign with that cm/nursery. There are plenty of cms out there who dont charge for their holidays or BH's

samb
06-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Mr Anchovy - I personally don't charge for days I am closed but that is totally my choice - I would be really annoyed if the government started to day we weren't "allowed"to do certain things for our businesses. We don't have laws covering us for things like minimum pay so why would this parent think we would have a law outlining when we can and can't charge. Maybe he should have looked around at other care before signing a contract he wasn't happy with? If people do charge I think it is fair as long as they have stated this when contracts were signed. If it was not stated or written down anywhere then I also feel a childminder should be able to stand back aplogise for not being clear and not charge this time but state they will from then on and give the parent theability to move on if it is really that bad for them.

bunyip
06-02-2013, 02:43 PM
I think the electric co analogy is invalid. They are a big organisation which is staffed, equipped and expected to provide a 24/7 utility 365 days a year. A CM is an individual who might actually provide a better service by being allowed the occasional day off for R&R.

Also(and this has already been alluded to) I have a contract with the leccy company that they will be open bank holidays. I'm assuming the petitioner's CM has not contracted to such an arrangement. This is someone who has freely agreed to a contract then seeks to get it overturned by changing the law. I think that's a pretty low form of deceit. :mad:

Apart from anything else, it doesn't make mathematical sense. Any business works out what it needs to make, and then sets its rates accordingly. So if the petitioner is successful, and charges for B/Hol closures are outlawed, then the CM merely needs to adjust his/her normal rates accordingly. In fact, I expect their accountant would recommned this if the CM lacked the mathematical genius to figure it out for themselves.

Btw, I don't charge for any day I'm closed. I don't even charge for parent's own holidays. But I have no issue with CMs who do. OTOH when I was an employee, I never begged my employer to take back any of my wages for the bank holidays and other holidays when I wasn't working. I thought that was all part of the contract. :huh:

jackie 7
06-02-2013, 03:11 PM
I would love them to hand back pay for holidays and they take much more than we do. I charge 1/2 rat for bl and my hold. I don't force parents to use my services and so far I have never been questioned on it. Let them hand their holiday pay back and I will stop charging.

Ripeberry
06-02-2013, 03:19 PM
And it should be made illegal for employed people to be paid whilst they are enjoying a bank holiday. Unless the poor OP has to work every single one of them. What a joke. Stop wasting my time.

MrAnchovy
06-02-2013, 03:55 PM
No of course the electricity supplier is not directly comparable, I introduced it to try and highlight the position from the point of the customer. Everyone has heard the expression "the customer is always right" - he is not of course, he is often wrong, but when he is telling us how he feels he IS always right, because it is how he feels.

Of course I don't think that it should be "illegal" for childminders to charge for bank holidays, this is not the sort of thing that laws are for, and I'd be surprised if the petitioner is serious too - but he is probably frustrated at being treated as though he doesn't have two brain cells to rub together by people he wants to give his hard-earned money to.

mazza58
06-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I do charge for bank holidays as I feel that it is the only holiday that I do get paid for and if the parents are getting paid for bank holidays then why cant I. I do not charge for any other holidays that I take, but i do charge parents for their holidays unless they take them the same time as me, so i do feel that I am being fair

FussyElmo
06-02-2013, 04:51 PM
To be taken seriously, after signing a contract, is not to go and start a petition demanding your way of thinking.

I wouldnt dream of telling my window cleaner his preferred method of payment was wrong and then go and set up a government petition.

TooEarlyForGin?
06-02-2013, 05:19 PM
But Mr A - as someone said, most parents get paid for bank holidays, but aren't expected to work for them, so lets face it if he made it law ;), we could turn it around. What's silly is that he is not forced to sign a contract, he has a choice, most of us don't have any REAL choice about electricity or water.

pat75
06-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Imagine how much government could save by not paying for b.h. and people's holiday for workers in public sector. Why should they be paid if they don't work.

MrAnchovy
06-02-2013, 05:48 PM
To be taken seriously, after signing a contract, is not to go and start a petition demanding your way of thinking.

Perhaps he hasn't signed a contract - perhaps he is frustrated because all childminders with vacancies in his area charge for Bank Holidays - and perhaps he only wants Mondays and resents the fact that he would have to pay 10% more per day of care than someone who only wants Tuesdays.

I wouldnt dream of telling my window cleaner his preferred method of payment was wrong and then go and set up a government petition.

You might do if he charged you for not cleaning your windows.

Don't you realise that this kind of "customer hatred" is a major factor in support of the idea of Childminder Agencies? If you want to remain independent, professional businesses you need to act like every other professional by only charging for what you provide and act like every other business by listening to your customers.

FussyElmo
06-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Perhaps he hasn't signed a contract - perhaps he is frustrated because all childminders with vacancies in his area charge for Bank Holidays - and perhaps he only wants Mondays and resents the fact that he would have to pay 10% more per day of care than someone who only wants Tuesdays.

Don't you realise that this kind of "customer hatred" is a major factor in support of the idea of Childminder Agencies? If you want to remain independent, professional businesses you need to act like every other professional by only charging for what you provide and act like every other business by listening to your customers.

Thank you for that but I already dont charge for bhs and my holidays. Im also TTO and dont charge a retainer.

If you dont like a service you are paying for then you walk with your feet and go somewhere else - you dont start a petition and demand what you want unfortunetly life isnt like that.

Marshmallow
06-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Well said !
:thumbsup:

Only 10 signatures so far (not doing too well ;-) ) .... I bet she wouldn't tell her boss, not to pay her for bank holidays and holidays as she is not 'actually' working.

justgoodfriends
06-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Actually I think Mr A has a point... which other self employed service providers would expect to be paid for BH's? Yes you can argue that parents are paid for them, but what if they're also self employed?

JaneyB
06-02-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't charge as I don't work - I am a private business and choose to work or not - I don't expect people to pay for holidays I take. In the same way - this person has choice over using the service of the childminder / nursery. Give notice and leave it if not happy. Ridiculous petition.

wendywu
06-02-2013, 10:30 PM
I dont know why everyone gets so irrate over BH as there are plently of CM who charge full for their holidays and charge for training days.

Yes i am self employed and i do charge for BH and i dont work them, but if my parents require me to work from 7.30 to 6.30 5 days a week to cover their working hours i consider it give and take.
I work well above the average working week. In fact if you took the statuary holiday entitlement of x your working days by 5.6 i would need to take about 100 days holiday in a year. :laughing:

I am not free to come and go as i please i can not even take as many unpaid holidays as i would like. :panic:

rickysmiths
06-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Yes but if I don't use any elec or gas one day i still get charged my basic service charge for the day for the honor of having the gas/elec piped into my house.

I still pay my Council tax when I go on two weeks holiday even though I am using none of the services that it pays for.

I pay a standard fee even if I don't use any water.

I continue to pay car insurance and road Tax even if my car doesn't leave the drive for a week.

I still have to pay my Ofsted fee, Public Liability Ins, Employers Insurance, IOC membership, pro rata for the whole year, 365 days even though I don't work for 25 days a year. They don't take 25 days worth off!!! oh and plus 8 BH if I can't charge for them.

I can see where this parent is coming from but as I am prepared to work on BH I don't see why I shouldn't charge if the parent has the day off. The vast majority of parents are paid for BH anyway.

Childcare is cheaper now than it was 20 years ago in % of salary, and there is more help out there than ever via Tax Credits and Salary sacrifice for parents to help with the costs. Maternity benefits are far more generous than they were 20 years ago and there are now Paternity benefits. We are also paying less tax than before.

I think it is about time some parents were realist about the fact that it is not cheap to have children, that they are their children and their responsibility and that if you have children life and life style can not carry on at the levels they were before they had children. The kind of car, number of holidays, meals out, hair do's, clothes etc have to change and golly dare I say, reduce!! If you have children you have to make sacrifices and compromise.

The trouble is so many parents want it all. My dear mum would say 'they know the cost of everything and the value of nothing!'

rickysmiths
06-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Actually I think Mr A has a point... which other self employed service providers would expect to be paid for BH's? Yes you can argue that parents are paid for them, but what if they're also self employed?

This is rubbish. Self Employed people usually charge a much higher hourly rate than cms could ever charge and they build in cover for their holidays and sick etc.

Even with 3 under 5s most cm could charge anything like the £30-50 that a lot of SE tradesmen do charge.

I pay my mobile hair dresser the equivalent of £45ph, my window cleaner is similar, a guy I had doing some work in the garden before Christmas charged £100 for a 5-6 hour day. I pay mt dd Clarinet teacher £30ph she prob earns around 1500pm just teaching 3hrs in the evenings, thats 15 hrs a week and she works during the day as well.

rickysmiths
06-02-2013, 11:06 PM

Ok I'll behave like every other self employed business then.

From Monday my hourly rate is going up to £40ph per child, (I am far better qualified than your average window cleaner and I have more overheads) and I won't charge for my holidays, BH or any Training Days I take. (But of course I will be getting all of them paid because it is built into my now much higher hourly fee so who is kidding who?)

Nor will I give any more than Friday for Monday as notice that I won't be working as I will be away for two weeks.

I will charge a full hour if a parent is late collecting whatever the excuse.

I will suspend childcare immediately if I am not paid.

will stop caring for families if I feel like it, with no repercussions, I have lost count of the number of window cleaners who have come and gone over the years with no warning or reason given!

I will charge for every min of extra time a parent wants to use me.

I will finish on the dot and I will not start early!

I will sit all the children in a row for half an hour in the morning and afternoon while I take a coffee break and for an hour at lunch time.

Shall I go on?

JCrakers
06-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Think we should be taking this one seriously...there's a lot of people who have signed that one....pmsl

For goodness sake... I don't charge but don't see the problem with charging

Ripeberry
06-02-2013, 11:31 PM

Well it's just tough :censored:. They should understand even more than an employed person. Lots of CMs charge double for working a BH. I think my gas man would charge double for coming out on a BH. And in the great scheme of things, is it really putting people out THAT much? Even the cattery charges double for any BH time! But people won't bat an eyelid at that as it seems their cattery owner is more precious than their childminder. :mad:

MrAnchovy
07-02-2013, 02:32 AM
You are (nearly) all missing the point.

It doesn't matter how good your arguments are for charging for when you choose not to be available, PARENTS DON'T LIKE IT.

At a time when the status of childminders as independent professionals is under threat do you think it is wise to insist on doing something your customers don't like?

FussyElmo
07-02-2013, 06:49 AM

It doesn't matter how good your arguments are for charging for when you choose not to be available, PARENTS DON'T LIKE IT.

At a time when the status of childminders as independent professionals is under threat do you think it is wise to insist on doing something your customers don't like?

Then the parents shouldnt sign a contract then. If I were to use an accountant and I didnt like something I would find another accountant. I would not be rushing to get a petition demanding that ALL accountants change.

This thread has proven alot of cms DONT charge for bh's and their holidays.

shortstuff
07-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Personally the petition does seem like a waste of paper. If its so important they should have checked at the initial meetings.
I have told all me families i would work a bank holiday if it was needed but would prefer not to so would charge an enhanced rate. If im not working through my choice i dont charge.

FussyElmo
07-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Maybe I have been looking at this wrong. Several of my childrens groups I pay in advance and if they shut we dont get a refund. There I was thinking I only had two options a) go somewhere else that didnt, b) or pay like it was explained to me at the start. Now I know there is a third option go and set up a petition against it :rolleyes:

But instead of doing seperate one perhaps we should add all the different companies together. Anyone one else have any suggestions?

Mine are dance, beavers........................................... .........ps I am happy with both groups and actually think they deserve it :thumbsup:

BuggsieMoo
07-02-2013, 07:45 AM
I dont charge for bank holidays if they are not worked (irrespective as to whether it is a contracted day or not). I do however charge time and a half if a parent requires me to work them and this is stipulated at the time of signing a contract. I charge nothing for my holidays as I dont like the fact that I am charging for a service I am not providing. Yet I do charge for parent holidays - after all that is their choice and I cannot easily fill their space (particularly when parents seem at times incapable of giving more than 24 hours notice!).

Again I do not charge for my sickness - but this has meant that I rarely take sick leave (although today im off to the doctors with suspected flu that I cant self medicate due to being pregnant) but I do charge for parent/child sickness.

My childminder (yes I use one as well). Is great. My DD goes to her TTO and this is all I am charged for - school days where her school is open. If I choose to take her to school myself (sometimes my own job permits this and my husband can take our sons whose school is in a different location but starts at the same time) then I fully expect to get charged. If my DD is ill and does not attend, again I expect to get charged. My CM however is also great in the fact that her holiday and sickness she does not charge me so im not getting hit with 'double' costs.

Many people do get paid BH when they work for an employer but I know having being an employee previously that yes I was not working a BH and this was paid but it was also 8 days that came off my holiday allowance - irrespective as to whether I wanted it to or not.

mazza58
07-02-2013, 08:02 AM
I am going on holiday for two weeks in the summer so have sent an e mail to the council to say that I do not require them to empty my bins so can I have a refund on my council tax as I will not require them to empty it:laughing:

carol cameron
07-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Well, I stand corrected that this petition isn't a joke. I am truly amazed though that someone feels so strongly on the matter that they have started a petition.
I still feel that parents have the choice whether to accept the terms of the service offered by childminders ( and other professions) and would hope that if they didn't like the terms they would look elsewhere and not automatically be critical about the service offered-just because they didn't like it.
I don't like paying for carrier bags at the shops to carry home the shopping I have just bought there but I know that my choice is to take my own bags or accept the shops decision to charge for them.
That's probably not the best example but its's still early morning !!
With the greatest respect Mr A. - the customer isn't always right but I understand and acknowledge their right to feel that way.

wendywu
07-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Maybe I have been looking at this wrong. Several of my childrens groups I pay in advance and if they shut we dont get a refund. There I was thinking I only had two options a) go somewhere else that didnt, b) or pay like it was explained to me at the start. Now I know there is a third option go and set up a petition against it :rolleyes:

But instead of doing seperate one perhaps we should add all the different companies together. Anyone one else have any suggestions?

Mine are dance, beavers........................................... .........ps I am happy with both groups and actually think they deserve it :thumbsup:

Yes good point i also pay a yearly fee to CM group at a childens centre. They have been closed due to snow, flood and a small fire , they must be unlucky huh :laughing:

JaneyB
07-02-2013, 08:17 AM
I don't think we are missing the point. Most of us don't work and don't charge. If someone has signed up to a contract that says they need to pay for Bank Hols then that is there problem. I know a childminder who is Jehovahs Witness and works on Christmas Day (a bank holiday) and states this in her contract - problem for the parents not her if they haven't read the contract. Yes - parents might not like it. But I can assure you that we childminders also don't like the 3 or 4, or 10 or 15 mins late every day for pick up - few of us charge. It's all about the contract and professionalism. We are professionals and we work to a contract - parents - sort yourselves out and read it. I highlight anything that may become controversial when parents sign mine - never had an issue.

LauraS
07-02-2013, 08:38 AM
I charge for them, and I work them too for the most part. Parents.don't like paying it, but they don't like paying late fees or deposits or even normal fees some of the time. If they don't like paying for bank holidays, though, they are free to take their children to the nursery down the road from me which doesn't charge for them. It is graded inadequate and charges the exact same fee as I do. Or the other nursery, also inadequate, which doesn't charge for bank hols but charges almost 30% more than me on the regular weekly fee...

Incidentally both of those establishments close at Christmas and for snow days and still charge, whereas I don't.

rickysmiths
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM

So are you suggesting because one disgruntled parent sets up a petition because they signed a contract that they now don't like that all childminders should bow down and go ' so sorry we dared to charge for BH and holidays we won't do it anymore'? Just because we have be threatened with being part of an Agency does not by any means mean we should start to changes our conditions of working!

This morning the Government have U Turned on GCSEs something we were told a few months ago was a done deal and would happen from Sept 2015.

There is no reason now to believe with enough pressure that this might not happen with the current ill researched and informed decisions being made about childcare in this country. Especially as the main agenda is to reduce costs and none of the proposals will do this without reducing standards as well.

If this parent is so upset go and find a childminder or Nursery that doesn't charge for BH but do a Petition to end ALL BH pay for ALL workers if you feel strongly don't just hit out at one low paid group.

rickysmiths
07-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I have just had a look and the number of signatures hasn't gone up from 10 which it was on last night when I looked so it doesn't seem he has got much support anyway. You need 10s of thousands of signatures for the petition to be taken seriously!

10 in several days is hardly world shattering support.

bunyip
07-02-2013, 06:54 PM

It's a little disingenuous to say "CMs have all missed the point" just because they actually have some very good points which have successfully countered the opposing argument from every angle.

I could go on about all the things that I (and many other CMs) don't charge for whilst still listening to clients and what parents like or dislike. But I'm not going to deny any CM the right to state their terms in a freely-negotiated contract. I think the point is that most CMs do listen, but don't necessarily feel the need to bend over backwards any further.

Am I to I take it we should learn to conclude future contract negotiations thus: "OK, so just before we sign the contract let's check. You want me have to unpaid holidays, reduce my fees, do additional hours for no charge, accept late pick-ups, etc, etc. Yup, sounds OK. Now, before you toddle off to set up a petition against any of the terms we've just agreed, would you like me to drop my knickers and bend over this table too...?" :p

Actually, I don't think the original petitioner is stupid. Quite the opposite: I think he's being very clever indeed. He's chosen to launch his petition just when the likes of Truss are kite-flying the myth that 'childcare is expensive' (and I note than none of the facts RS has highlighted, about the real cost of childcare falling over 20 years, has been mentioned in the past weeks/months of media-spun drivel.) All this, of course, is purely in the interest of setting up those agencies for more pen-pushing, bean-counting, office-johnnies to make a packet out of doing the maths and forms for those of us who are out here doing the real work. :mad: What better time to put the boot in on the CM industry? :huh:

zippy
07-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh yeah and it is totally unacceptable when you are paying to go away on holiday and stay somewhere else for a week to still have to pay your rent/mortgage- I mean how out of order is that?!

Please please please tell me you wrote that on the numpty mums post :clapping::clapping::laughing::laughing::clapping: :clapping:

rickysmiths
20-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Well when I posted on 7/2/13 there were 10 signatures and I have just had a look and now on the 20/3/13 there are a whopping 14 signatures!!!!! :laughing:

At this rate he might get up to 20 signatures before the Petition ends in August.

jelly15
20-03-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't charge for any time I am not available to work (sickness, holidays or bank hloidays) but I would like to, and feel I deserve to be paid for these times, and those who do have vaild points in why they do. However, as a self employed business woman in location where childcare services are rather competitve I have to be sure my service can compete. If I want to remain in this line of work and enjoy sick pay and paid holidays I would have to go and work in a nursery and be an employee.

phoenix2010
20-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I dont charge for bank holidays because im closed

but if a parent signs a contract with a minder that does then thats up to them

plenty of us dont charge for what we dont do

When I had a childminder for my son this was the only thing that bugged me , I was charged for xmas day and boxing day one year and I felt that was unfair , as I couldnt use the service I was paying for

I actually think they have a point but Im not sure it should say "stop childminders ....." as if we all work to the same rules

and Im also not sure it really merits a petition , they should just read their contract more carefully before signing if it really bothers them , like I didnt :D

FussyElmo
20-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Well when I posted on 7/2/13 there were 10 signatures and I have just had a look and now on the 20/3/13 there are a whopping 14 signatures!!!!! :laughing:

At this rate he might get up to 20 signatures before the Petition ends in August.

Gathering speed at an alarming right :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Nicola Carlyle
20-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Omg I e just come across this. I mean us this a serious petition?

It's a joke. A contract is a contract surely! x

hectors house
20-03-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't charge for bank holidays but I would like to raise the point that it was the NCMA who put the idea into our heads (their contracts) in the first place and then they suggested that all childminders should ask for paid holidays! This is why I am not with the NCMA anymore - I think they have lost the plot.

wendywu
20-03-2013, 01:24 PM
I think at the moment this is the least of our worries :laughing:

Simona
20-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Can anyone tell me where this petition is or put a link so we can read what it is asking people to sign?
sorry but I was not aware there was one in the first place...

mama2three
20-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Can anyone tell me where this petition is or put a link so we can read what it is asking people to sign?
sorry but I was not aware there was one in the first place...

theres a link on the very first post Simona x

bunyip
20-03-2013, 01:58 PM

It's got me breaking out in a cold sweat. Be afraid, be very afraid. :phew:

Simona
20-03-2013, 01:58 PM
I can't see it??? back I go

bunyip
20-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Link: Stop childminders/nurserys charging us when THEY are closed for bank holidays or personal holidays - e-petitions (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37929)

Don't worry Simona, I also had some trouble finding the OP - I think the site was playing up for a bit.

This is still funny, months on from when it first came up. I can see the bare logic of parents not wanting to pay for a service they don't get. But then that logic has to be extended to the employers who are paying those parents to not provide the service of their labour when on holiday or bank holidays. So shouldn't those employers should start their own petition against having to give holiday pay to their staff? :huh:

It somehow reminds me of Ebeneezer Scrooge (that's Michael Caine) responding to Bob Cratchit (ie. Kermit the Frog)'s request to have a day off for Christmas, by leaning forward menacing and stating, "very well - but it's a poor excuse for picking a man's pocket."

:D

Rubybubbles
20-03-2013, 02:47 PM
lol I missed this one

I don't charge for BH or my holidays phew not going out in flames!

Simona
20-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Ridiculous petition...if parents don't want to pay for BH discuss it with the cm or find one who doesn't charge!!!
It has attracted no interest but wonder if it has influenced the DfE in any way?
Who is this David Paul anyway?

rickysmiths
20-03-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't charge for bank holidays but I would like to raise the point that it was the NCMA who put the idea into our heads (their contracts) in the first place and then they suggested that all childminders should ask for paid holidays! This is why I am not with the NCMA anymore - I think they have lost the plot.

NCMA suggested over 10 years ago that cm should charge for their holidays and that we should have 4 paid training days a year as well. I have always charged for BH at the normal rate if a parent doesn't use the day and at an enhanced rate if they do.