PDA

View Full Version : Child has chicken pox but still has infectious spots...WWYD?

Ripeberry
05-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Mum is on maternity leave and the said child did not come to my home last Thursday as he was unwell. So he has been at home 6 days now. I'm due to have him tomorrow but don't have any other mindees with me and she says he is fine.
BUT it means that I can't go anywhere with him all day and I'm supposed to be doing the craft on the Thursday at our CM group.
What would you do? I just don't have an excuse really to give the mum, apart from not being able to do the things we usually do...Gahhhh! :(

QualityCare
05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
If it were me and mum were at work l would take the child and not go to craft group, it seems strange that as mum is on mat leave she still wants to bring child l could understand it if she was at work. I think l would explain to mum about the craft session and say you can't take child and would she keep him off until after the session and you would have him then, if he goes at a reasonable time maybe for an extra hour or two.

Ripeberry
05-02-2013, 09:57 AM
That's a good idea. He comes at 9am, but if I can delay it for an hour or so then I can set up the craft, clear it up and be back in time for him. :) Just hope she does not quibble about money as I'm not refunding that time.

rickysmiths
05-02-2013, 10:03 AM
If he is not fit enough to take part in the normal daily activities, so go to Craft Group, then he is not fit to be in your setting.

Those are my guidelines. If it were me he would be at home with mum, work or no work, until he was fit to be part of my setting and what we do.

Also if the child is not fit to attend and take part, they are ill and so fees are paid in full.

Ripeberry
05-02-2013, 11:43 AM
She likes to get her money's worth. If I had another child and the parents were OK about it, she would still send them and then at least I'd have two of them to play with each other. I suppose we could always go for a walk in the countryside to avoid other people :rolleyes: She has offered have him back earlier each day (2 days) so that he does not mix with my kids. My own have had chicken pox twice but very mild.

Tunja
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Mum is on maternity leave and the said child did not come to my home last Thursday as he was unwell. So he has been at home 6 days now. I'm due to have him tomorrow but don't have any other mindees with me and she says he is fine.
BUT it means that I can't go anywhere with him all day and I'm supposed to be doing the craft on the Thursday at our CM group.
What would you do? I just don't have an excuse really to give the mum, apart from not being able to do the things we usually do...Gahhhh! :(

Chicken pox is most infectious before the spots appear. Exclusion is usually for five days after the spots appear. Once the spots scab it is only the goo in them that is infectious. So the child should be safe to take to a craft session.

Tazmin68
05-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Sometimes it takes longer than 5-6 days for spots to scab over. Last year my youngest had chicken pox and is was in fact day 10 before the last scabbed over so he might till be infectious. I was telling parents 6 days and I had to extend exclusion period.

Mouse
05-02-2013, 01:44 PM
This is what it says on the NHS website

If your child has chickenpox, inform their school or nursery and keep them at home while they are infectious, which is until the last blister has burst and crusted over. This usually takes five or six days after the rash begins.

If you have chickenpox, stay off work and at home until you're no longer infectious.

If either you or your child has chickenpox, it is also a good idea for you, or them, to avoid contact with:

•pregnant women
•newborn babies
•anyone who has a weak immune system, such as people who are having chemotherapy (a treatment for cancer) or taking steroid tablets

If the child still has unburst blisters I would say they are still infectious and should be kept at home. If the blisters have all burst or scabbed over by Thursday I'd say he's OK.
I wouldn't be changing my plans to dash to set up the craft activity & dash back home again. You're planning to do it, so mindee has to be well enough to go with you. Not only that, but if he is still infectious you have to consider any pregnant women you might come into contact with.

Information says that the blisters usually scab over within 5 days of the last one appearing, but that doesn't mean they all do. One of my mindees had chicken pox over christmas. It was 2 weeks before I saw her, but she still had a couple of blisters that hadn't completely scabbed. I did have her back as the only other mindee was her brother, but I was suprised it took so long for the scabs to crust.

Dragonfly
05-02-2013, 02:08 PM
I do so like the bit where you said THE MUM SAID SHE WILL COLLECT EARLIER THAN NORMAL SO CHILD ISN'T AROUND YOUR CHILDREN , ALRIGHT TO BE AROUND OTHER PEOPLES CHILDREN THEN!

loocyloo
05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
i had a Lo who had the poz a few years ago and he had lots of blisters on his hands & fingers, none of which scabbed ... they sometimes weeped a bit, but finally sort of 'melted' away withever having seen a scab !! ( those elsewhere scabbed! )

i was not prepared to have him, in case they got infected at my house/out with me doing messy play, in the woods etc. mum was not impressed, but understood!

TAZ
05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Personally I have mindees if they have chicken pox as long as I am not caring for any children who have not had chicken pox. All my children have had it, 3 of them were not 'unwell' when they had it but obviously infectious, whereas the 4th was 'unwell' with it. I just rearrange my activities for the day.
Can you not swap with someone else to set up the craft table and do it another session

Ripeberry
05-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I do so like the bit where you said THE MUM SAID SHE WILL COLLECT EARLIER THAN NORMAL SO CHILD ISN'T AROUND YOUR CHILDREN , ALRIGHT TO BE AROUND OTHER PEOPLES CHILDREN THEN!
But in her mind she is paying me to sit in my house with her child whilst we can't go anywhere as she wants to go out basically.

Ripeberry
05-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Well I think it's been decided for me anyway. Just got back from collecting my own children from school and my youngest is complaining of a headache and she did feel warm. She has taken herself to bed which is very unlike her. So I'll be closed tomorrow as I don't want her catching anything off mindee on top of what she may have and I don't want him catching anything else either.
:censored: Bugs!
I'll just have to drop the craft stuff off tomorrow night to the group leader. Thanks for all your replies :)