PDA

View Full Version : I am so cross with what Dad has just called mindee!

nipper
05-02-2013, 08:14 AM
This has really made me cross.
He drops her off and then says "Bye Nasty!"

lynncjt
05-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Even if that's a joke it's awful!

05-02-2013, 09:42 AM
One of my mindees is quite a 'large' toddler and his dad calls him chunks!

ajc
05-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Spose it depends on age of child, it may have been a game they were playing, they might have monster names for each other!

harleyrider
05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
As far as pet names go it's not very cute :-\

migimoo
05-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I had a dad say "come on spaz" to his dd:panic:....he was spoken to immediately and I also told mum.

teacake2
05-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Chunky or chunky monkey is a term of endearment for one mindee I care for, and it does not describe his size or anything he is very thin as are the rest of his family, it is just his pet name.
Teacake2

Maza
05-02-2013, 11:06 AM
I had a dad say "come on spaz" to his dd:panic:....he was spoken to immediately and I also told mum.
Oh my word. Lost for words on that one. It makes my blood boil when I hear that word used like that. I'm glad he used it in front of you though as you seem to have enlightened him of his ignorance. Well done you.

eddie
05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
I had a dad come to pick up his 2 daughters once and he called them the gruesome twosome! Mind you if the cap fits....

I notice that it is usually the Dads on this thread using these names.

Mouse
05-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Oh dear, I call my daughter Stinky!

I guess it's how it's said, not always what's said. If dad calls mindee "Nasty" as a term of endearment, then I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if mindee is happy with it. Often these names come from something that's been said at home, from a book, from a joint experience and it's a little link between parent & child. If he was saying "Bye you horrible, nasty little thing", in a derogatory way that upset mindee then I would object :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
05-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Sometime parents say things and they are not meant horribly ( although I wouldn't like to a child being called Spaz,) it wouldn't bother me.gruesome twosome is a popular one.

Ripeberry
05-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Well I used to be called 'Fag Anne' as a child :rolleyes: But then my mum was a chain smoker :(

mushpea
05-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I call mindes " come on stink" when they need a nappy change, I also call them 'nana' and Muppet at times but only in a playful way so I think it depends on how its said

wendywu
05-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Oh dear, I call my daughter Stinky!

I guess it's how it's said, not always what's said. If dad calls mindee "Nasty" as a term of endearment, then I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if mindee is happy with it. Often these names come from something that's been said at home, from a book, from a joint experience and it's a little link between parent & child. If he was saying "Bye you horrible, nasty little thing", in a derogatory way that upset mindee then I would object :thumbsup:

My DH used to call my youngest Stinks , she is 20 soon and it has not caused any ongoing emotional stress, although it could be the cause of her going out clubbing dressed in very short skirts and dresses :laughing:

smurfette
05-02-2013, 12:47 PM
My hubby says 'night night snot heads' to my three girls they are 7,9 and 11.. They used to say 'dad' but now they just laugh., as pp said it is a link and meant affectionately and think started when they had rotten Colds once!

dawn100
05-02-2013, 01:09 PM
My dd is often called terminator or t-monster as she is a whirlwind of destruction but it is said with love and sometimes when she is in a cheeky mood that's what she calls herself.
I think it's all how it's said and really meant.

Velleity
05-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I know a parent who still calls her daughter 'stinky bum' and she is five now. I've also heard 'smelly chicken' and 'little s*it' from one of the mum's at the school!

Loushah
05-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I look after three siblings (baby, 2y/o & 4y/o)and mother openly calls the 2y/o her favourite in front of the other children. The 4y/o even asked his mom the other day why she loves the 2y/o & not him????.....I am just lost for words some times with what some parents think is acceptable.

Don't get me wrong she is not a bad mom at all and I'm sure she does love them but probably don't understand how her words can upset them.

mindingmummy08
05-02-2013, 02:05 PM
I call my daughter devil, it's done playfully and if I ask her name sometimes she says her actual name or sometimes she laughs and says "debil".

silvermist
05-02-2013, 02:07 PM
I was in the park once with my ds and he tripped over and started to cry.

An elderly man who was passing said" come on now you're not a poofter are you, stop your crying!"

I was furious and told him exactly what I thought of his comments.

Lets just say he walked off with his head hung in shame!!! :mad:

littlelollies
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I had to have a word with a parent who fondly called her son **** face!!!!!

Made me mad!!!

helengreen13
06-02-2013, 07:25 AM
I have a brother and sister come and the parents call them Ginger Prince and Ginger Whinger. We seen to somehow have adopted these names but to be fair the parents call me and my sister (who works as my assistant) the Chuckle Sisters .... To me ..to you ....

wellybelly
06-02-2013, 08:52 AM
I had a dad drop off his 18month old son to my house one morning, as he was leaving he crouched down and said "what are you? Your naughty" and then went! How demoralising for the poor child and at an age when I don't believe naughty doesn't even come into it. It really changes your opinion of parents when they speak to their children in such a negative manner.

lubeam
06-02-2013, 10:23 AM
We call our daughter hurricane Amelia ! She's a destroyer ! Lol :)

Schnakes
06-02-2013, 08:52 PM
I agree with the people who say it depends how its said....Im always saying to the children - "oooh, you stinky little beast!" if they have passed wind or have a dirty nappy...or if they accidentally knock me I say "oh, you vicious brute" etc....but they know Im saying it affectionately because we have a warm relationship - Ive seen childminders saying "uh - you stink" or "this is the worst part of my job" while going to change nappies and you can tell from their tone that they mean it - and thats not nice for the child at all....I think children have a sense of humor - I think they can take it, as long as its said in a way that shows its meant humorously.

Also...my dads childhood nickname for me referenced my chubbiness as a child (well - I say as a child - the chub continues to exist, long after the nickname has passed!) and I never thought of it in a horrible way...even when I realised what it meant! Ha!!!

scottishlass
06-02-2013, 09:24 PM
When my daughter now 6 is up to mischief I call her my wee monkey or wee horror!!

chriss
06-02-2013, 09:37 PM
I dont see a problem if its done affectionately, not the ****face post though, thats really awful. But saying stinky bum, etc etc is just humour so we shouldnt be so quick to judge parents.

SammySplodger
06-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Yup - I often call my two 'stinky'

By that I mean 'kiddie stink', ie: the pleasant, cuddly, salty smell on the top of their heads.

They know that's what I mean and it makes them smile.

Sometimes I'll say: I can smell a stink and it's not that nice kiddie stink. Usually one will fess up / look guilty / laugh...

chez
07-02-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm totally shocked that calling a child any name which relies on them and others listening having and seeing it in humour is acceptable. From parents I'd ay it was bad enough but as professional child care providers I think it's totally unacceptable.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered that the children will go through their childhood thinking that it is acceptable to call people these names which if they did so could be seen as bullying. I certainly would be vey cross to hear my children being called anything that wasn't positive. I can't see how a child being bullied by being called names is any worse then their careers (parents or minder) calling them names.

I wonder if children hear it often enough they start to believe they are .....

I don't use the word stinky as I wouldn't want my minders using it so I ask who needs their nappy changing.

Sorry that I know at this post will upset some but it's a subject I feel so strongly about,I work a lot with young girls will low self esteem and its so hard when you can see where this cycle can come from.

chriss
07-02-2013, 09:31 AM
I really dont think that when I change a nappy and I laugh and say stinky, and I tickle the child n they laugh, will damage them mentally and lower their self esteem. We have a sense of humour, the child is finding their sense of humour.

We know our own children enough to know when they wont find it funny. They are not fragile flowers, and a bit of "mickey taking" in this tough old world is just that. Not bullying or humiliating. IMHO

SammySplodger
07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
To clarify: I call my OWN children 'stinky', at home in private -?and they know exactly what I mean! ....not Mindees!

Schnakes
13-02-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm totally shocked that calling a child any name which relies on them and others listening having and seeing it in humour is acceptable. From parents I'd ay it was bad enough but as professional child care providers I think it's totally unacceptable.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered that the children will go through their childhood thinking that it is acceptable to call people these names which if they did so could be seen as bullying. I certainly would be vey cross to hear my children being called anything that wasn't positive. I can't see how a child being bullied by being called names is any worse then their careers (parents or minder) calling them names.

I wonder if children hear it often enough they start to believe they are .....

I don't use the word stinky as I wouldn't want my minders using it so I ask who needs their nappy changing.

Sorry that I know at this post will upset some but it's a subject I feel so strongly about,I work a lot with young girls will low self esteem and its so hard when you can see where this cycle can come from.

I think thats quite a po faced attitude, tbh - children are quite capable of having a sense of humour. They know what is affectionate joshing and what is spiteful and nasty name calling. I dont think it does children any favours to have only positive things said to them, either. That is not the way the world works. **** does stink. Big deal.

Another point - children are also very aware of what is patronising - and they dont like it - regardless of what you might think. There is no benefit to patronising and mollycoddling children - so why do it?

Im hoping I have just fed the troll here....Im quite shocked by your attitude if its for real.

S.

chezzagriff
13-02-2013, 11:22 PM
If one of my own children have a dirty nappy I play and say "poo you stink" my 2.5 year old laughs his head off and says "No you stink" and it goes back and fourth. Obv my 8 month old doesnt understand yet. I dont think saying things like this even to mindees would be bad though, I wouldnt mind my sons being called it.