PDA

View Full Version : Have I made a big mistake????

Jingle Jangle
04-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi everyone!

Think I'm feeling a little sorry for myself tonight. i had my registration completed back in Dec 12 and handed my notice in for a well paid job. As it stands I still dont have any kids to look after and no money coming in! I cant help thinking I have made a big mistake. I have had enquiries from 2 people but none of them have signed me up. One decided they would keep their child in nursery and the other said their child was afraid of dogs. (I have 2 labs). Is having dogs an issue? AM i being over sensitive? Its very deflating being told someone doesnt want your services! Any one got ant tips on how to attract some custom?
Sorry if moaning, just really worried ive made a huge mistake! Thanks.

sprinkles
04-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm still pre-reg but have my inspection next Monday. I won't be handing my notice in until I have mindees lined up as I think finding the first few is the hardest until your name is out there.

Can't offer any advice but hopefully things will pick up for you soon. Have you tried toddler groups etc?

Rick
04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone!

Think I'm feeling a little sorry for myself tonight. i had my registration completed back in Dec 12 and handed my notice in for a well paid job. As it stands I still dont have any kids to look after and no money coming in! I cant help thinking I have made a big mistake. I have had enquiries from 2 people but none of them have signed me up. One decided they would keep their child in nursery and the other said their child was afraid of dogs. (I have 2 labs). Is having dogs an issue? AM i being over sensitive? Its very deflating being told someone doesnt want your services! Any one got ant tips on how to attract some custom?
Sorry if moaning, just really worried ive made a huge mistake! Thanks.

Hi

I wrote this in another post but answers your question on how to attract some custom.

The main aim is to get noticed and get known in the local community; probably most important for me being an independent male childminder.

Number one way is to get to toddler groups as often as you can and get to know parents in your area. If you don't have children of your own (I.e. no one to go with) then there's nothing stopping you popping along and handing out cards and chatting to parents.

Advertise on local websites, mine is called Bath Mums and childcare.co.uk as well. Net mums as well. See if Facebook has a local page to advertise for free.

Get chatting on forums like this one. I posted on my local website, Bath Mums about perceptions of male childminders; it was all very positive and by the end people had gone from being wary to it being a good thing and have now got an enquiry from it. There may be a classifieds section on there for people to advertise for a childminder or you to advertise yourself. This post went so well, the editor asked me to write an article for the website about why I decided to become a childminder. This was emailed to 2300 people in Bath. How's that for advertising!

Get to local childminding groups. I have found childminders are very welcoming and willing to hand over enquiries which are no good for them. I first started going to a childminding group even though I only had my son and no mindees. You can go so long as you're registered.

As I say, the key is to get noticed. I've had lots of people see me out with my mindees and people have asked if I'm the independent male childminder (I'm the only one in the region). That was all because I took the time to write a post and then an article.

Word of mouth is important. The parents of the sisters I mind are so pleased with what I'm doing that she has recommended me to her neighbour who needs childcare

It may take some time so don't get despondent if it doesn't happen instantly

Hope this helps

MrsP2C
04-02-2013, 11:13 PM
I too left a lucrative career back in September & it does take time to get your name out there but don't lose heart it *will* happen just unlikely straightaway I got 1 schoolie in october, then a baby 2 days a week in November, a pre-schooler 2 half days in January & I've just taken on siblings (1 schoolie & 1 baby) 3 days a week starting in 2 weeks. I had a very frustrating first few months with minimal enquiries & the few I did get I lost but looking back I was a bit too inflexible on price/hours and came across as friendly babysitter rather than friendly but professional child carer which I think didn't help.

So 5 months getting to a position where I feel comfortable financially (half the pay twice the work of my old life :wink:) & although I do still have a space left I'm not looking for any more until my youngest starts school in september.

Good luck xx

MrsP2C
04-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Eta - when I was looking for a cm for my son a few years back I originally said no dogs but actually ended up using a (fabulous) one with a huge great dog!! she did however reassure me with a clear pet policy, showed me how she kept the dog away from children in the house & garden, let me speak to other parents etc. if your ads mention dogs I'd make it clear they are loveable, used to children etc but kept in separate area so pose no risk to children etc

FussyElmo
05-02-2013, 05:10 AM
I think that with having dogs you do limit your your passible mindees. I have 2 lab crosses and it can and will put some parents off but then I think this werent the people for me.

As others have said it can take time to get enquires. What are the cms like in your area full to bursting or struggling to get work if its the latter then you may be waiting a while. If the local cms are full then try to see if there is a cm group by you, attend that they may pass work on to you.

Other than that jusr keep going toddler groups, advertise on netmums, guntree and have you thought about joining childcare.co.uk :thumbsup:

lynncjt
05-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I've got about half my work from Facebook. I set up a page and borrowed some kids and took pictures of them doing exciting things like down the beach in the park., and messy play. If you do this make sure you have the word 'childminder' in your page name as fb searching is not brilliant!

If you would like my page name send me a pm.

Kiddleywinks
05-02-2013, 08:12 AM
It does get better :thumbsup:

You'll see many childminders comment it's either a feast or a famine ;)

Rick's post is very good though
I got most of my enquiries through the local FIS, I updated about once a month, so my name was one of the first on the list. However, it did take the best part of 7 months to get my first mindee, with 2 more following quickly after that, and the last 3 came 4 months later. Thankfully, I'm now as full as I want to be, but it was hard going and there were times when I thought there was something wrong with me.

Try not to lose heart, but you do need to be pro active about getting your name out there

Good Luck

Rick
05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
It does get better :thumbsup:

You'll see many childminders comment it's either a feast or a famine ;)

Rick's post is very good though
I got most of my enquiries through the local FIS, I updated about once a month, so my name was one of the first on the list. However, it did take the best part of 7 months to get my first mindee, with 2 more following quickly after that, and the last 3 came 4 months later. Thankfully, I'm now as full as I want to be, but it was hard going and there were times when I thought there was something wrong with me.

Try not to lose heart, but you do need to be pro active about getting your name out there

Good Luck

Thanks Kiddleywinks.

I forgot to mention that I am now full! All the hard work getting my name out there paid off! :thumbsup:

Jingle Jangle
05-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone, you've given me some great ideas. Lesson number one is not to take rejection personally! Time to stand up and be counted!

TheArk
05-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Also, I don't think anybody has mentioned this:

Do you know any other childminders, is there a group locally you can go to. I pass on loads of enquiries which I cannot accomodate to my friends and colleagues (and vice versa). Let them know you are actively looking and they may pass on any enquiries your way!!!

Also, the whole dog thing can be a real positive thing too, as a newly aquired dog owner I have found lots of parents are really enthusiastic about their children being around dogs!!! This surprised me really as Im not sure I would have been as keen when I was looking for a childminder:blush: