PDA

View Full Version : Displaying books

Chatterbox Childcare
03-02-2013, 06:12 PM
At my last inspection the inspector said that my books were not easily accessible and interesting to children just in a box. Can anyone recommend/post links to any ideas?

Thank you

loocyloo
03-02-2013, 06:21 PM
i have one of these Sling Bookcase with Rainbow Star Canvas - Bookcases & Bookshelves - Storage - gltc.co.uk (http://www.gltc.co.uk/sling-bookcase-with-rainbow-star-canvas//gltc/fcp-product/10002212)

but little board books get lost in it. these i have in a wicker basket on the floor. the rest ( majority! of my books are on the shelves in the sitting room and i rotate the books according to childrens interests/themes and if i never ever want to read a particular book ever again !!!

Chatterbox Childcare
03-02-2013, 06:27 PM
i have one of these Sling Bookcase with Rainbow Star Canvas - Bookcases & Bookshelves - Storage - gltc.co.uk (http://www.gltc.co.uk/sling-bookcase-with-rainbow-star-canvas//gltc/fcp-product/10002212)

but little board books get lost in it. these i have in a wicker basket on the floor. the rest ( majority! of my books are on the shelves in the sitting room and i rotate the books according to childrens interests/themes and if i never ever want to read a particular book ever again !!!

Thanks off to measure the space I have

sarah707
03-02-2013, 07:02 PM
I have a box and I rotate books so they are accessible and the children get a range each week. it's not over-full as I find that means they get damaged easily.

I showcase 1 book each week with puppets / small world play and plan some activities around it.

I have a small basket with just a few books in it in a cosy corner to encourage children to sit quietly and read alone or together.

The rest of the books are on a shelf and I supervise selections - they choose from a few I bring down - and I change the choice every day. The children learn to respect books rather than toss them around.

:D

blue bear
03-02-2013, 07:05 PM
I have a book shelf In the playroom., a basket of books in the Lounge a book bag with books of the week I. The kitchen for sharing during snack time and a small basket in the garden - in wet weather it's in the play house in dry weather next to the basket lined with a quilt under the tree for shade.

Mouse
03-02-2013, 07:21 PM
I had one of the sling book cases for a while. It was nice, but the smaller books slipped down inside the pockets & were hard to get out. When I had mainly little children I found their board books didn't fit in very well & they were too tempted to climb up it!

I now have several wicker baskets with various books in. It's great because I can easily move them around the house, or take them outside. I'll also make up a themed basket. At the moment it's an animal theme. There are several books in it, plus some finger puppets, printed & laminated picture cards etc.

In the hall we have the main bookcases with the children's books on the lowest shelves. Children don't have free access to those though. They can go & select books if I am supervising, and they take it in turns to chose our after lunch story book from there, but other than that it's out of bounds or they end up thrown all over the floor!

jadavi
03-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Yes! I got some fab wire racks on a triangle structure and also a rotating one like in shops. They were from a shop display outlet on line. I will try and hunt the name but someone on here gave me it.... I ordered double by mistake and have four now!!

jadavi
03-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Just searched back thru my posts. The outfit is called Sanders displays. They had a lot of sale items. LIke someone says in another post it is metal racks so not very attractive but the books look great and you can display such a lot. They fold up easily too for storage. We use our revolving rack for other educational games too (language work with pics etc)

snortlet
03-02-2013, 07:59 PM
we have a Tidy Books wall mounted display bookcase (can be found on google). Its only a couple of books deep as they are front ways on. Find this easy for even little children to self select. books rotated often and a main topic/current interest book on display along with relevant props. Ofsted seemed to like it.

Carol-Ann Woods
03-02-2013, 08:39 PM
This is the bookcase we use in the play room...x

Chatterbox Childcare
03-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks everyone will be able to choose something from these

Sarah - I had mine in boxes at floor level but Ofsted didn't like them

miffy
03-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks everyone will be able to choose something from these

Sarah - I had mine in boxes at floor level but Ofsted didn't like them

But that was one inspector's opinion - unless you feel the children can't/aren't accessing the books I wouldn't change things. I'd take some photos of the children choosing books from your boxes, sitting reading etc to show the next inspector who comes along that the children can and do access the books.

Miffy xx

teacake2
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
I had the same from my DO she said boxes were boring for the children, easily knocked over etc, well I couldn't afford to by fancy book shelves, don't have room for the books to stay out all the time, so I decided to cover the boxes with nursery rhyme pictures etc. Although I tried to put the books in the boxes that matched the pictures the children of course (especially the younger ones) mixed them all up. When OFSTED came for inspection she thought they were a very good idea and when I told her that I encourage the children to match the books and boxes when they were being put away she thought that was excellent because it covered so many things.
Teacake2

snortlet
04-02-2013, 08:36 PM
I saw today on the Morton Michel facebook and twitter pages they are running a comp to win a Tidybooks book box. I dont know how to post links but may be worth a look.

zippy
04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I put small amounts if books in baskets dotted around house/garden with relevant resources like relevant teddies etc in

christine e
05-02-2013, 07:10 AM
I recently bought this one
Tidy Books Box | Handy book box for kids book storage with a play clock (http://www.tidy-books.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/16/s/the-tidy-books-box/category/4/?colour=Natural+)

there is an offer on at the moment and if you use code GIFT25 you get 25% off bringing price down to £51.75 and free delivery which is £10 cheaper than Amazon:thumbsup:

hectors house
05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
I display our library books (children's choice and books relating to a topic) on my low coffee table - that way the baby doesn't rip them and the children know that they need to read them sitting on the sofa - our more substantial books and board books are in an animal print magazine box from matalan - it has 2 handles and is easy to carry from room to room. I also have a bookcase in the toy store room which I can rotate.

Have to wait and see what Ofsted says like others have said it depends on the inspector, but I suppose you can always argue that you have re assessed your book storage and ensure it can be accessed by all children and it still is best for you and your mindees in your home.

singingcactus
05-02-2013, 08:41 AM
I keep some in a banana box, very easy to access. I put some on the sofa each day, and I have some in the toy boxes. I want books and reading to be the norm for my boys, not a stressful activity that has lots and lots of rules and must be done with permissions, and supervision.
Books used to be expensive and even rare. Nowadays we all have thousands of books in our homes and they can be purchased for literally pennies. Taking books outside of normal play simply adds another layer of stress to reading. So my books are mostly in toy boxes and wherever the kuds play.

lynncjt
05-02-2013, 08:45 AM
I keep some in a banana box, very easy to access. I put some on the sofa each day, and I have some in the toy boxes. I want books and reading to be the norm for my boys, not a stressful activity that has lots and lots of rules and must be done with permissions, and supervision.
Books used to be expensive and even rare. Nowadays we all have thousands of books in our homes and they can be purchased for literally pennies. Taking books outside of normal play simply adds another layer of stress to reading. So my books are mostly in toy boxes and wherever the kuds play.

Thanks for this - you've made me think again about my books! I have loads and are easily accessible but I think I'm going to take some and put them with the toys in boxes now! :clapping: