PDA

View Full Version : Struggling!

bulldog
03-02-2013, 11:21 AM
I have a 2 yr old one day a week (7hrs)
I struggle a lot with his planning and individual interests (basically as he doesnt have any, as in vehicles, crafts etc)
We go to a playgroup all morning, then he sleeps for 2hrs so not much time in the day really. He likes the group but doesnt show any particular interest in specific areas or activities.
He watches lots of TV at home, uses the ipad and iphone (brilliantly!) So my ideas of ICT ie electronic learning toys he has little interest in.
I have a diary for his parents/myself and also give post its for them to note WOW moments or new skills but they dont use either.
I have completed his 2yr check and had no response from parents apart from "its very accurate" they didnt comment on the form at all.
I ask all the time what they have done at weekend, what he likes at home (generally its something on tv)

Starting to dread his day as I feel im constantly scraping the barrel for ideas and his planning/learning journey looks samey.
I think because its just one day parents see it as a baby sit really, ive explained the report thing and trying to plan to do things he likes is something that is req in my role but they dont seem interested.
What would you do/advise???

sarah707
03-02-2013, 12:10 PM
I think you are trying too hard!! :laughing:

My play plan for a month shows what I have planned for the child / what the child has enjoyed doing.

What the child has enjoyed doing - outing to playgroup and snack with friends; play with snow outside; making a tower ... lots and lots if he doesn't have any particular interests, you will probably have to cut down what you write!!

Things I have planned - involvement in painting snow; songs and rhymes to feature numbers (link in to your group planning for example); activities for oh I dunno whatever group activity you are doing with the children such as pancake day or Chinese New Year or winter weather - just pick one thing he really enjoyed to comment on the rest will be in your group planning and you don't want to duplicate!

Obs can then say that xx enjoyed making his pancakes and told you his favourite topping was ice cream (psed - likes and dislikes) etc.

Next steps for next month might be to continue number songs and rhymes... to count bricks in a tower... to look at colours because he told you he had a green car... to plan something around his current favourite telly programme at home...

My play plan is in this thread - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/activity-ideas/112861-chinese-new-year-feb-week-1-planning.html

It might help you if you use the above ideas as an example.

I hope that helps! :D

bulldog
03-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks Sarah!
Ive spent lots of time concentrating on his behaviour (fighting, biting etc) which seems much improved!

Im going to steal the playplan template I think thanks! I was trying to do a formal plan and always felt that i was failing!
I love the Chinese New Yr planning, the ideas are fab and so like when I worked in a school nursery dept.

I only have this child and a 1yr old together which is why I do group so he can mix with older children,
Its difficult when he has to have George of the Jungle on his Dads iphone in the car to come 1.5miles to my house!!
:eek:

migimoo
03-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I had one like this Bulldog...I still have his little sister and all she says is "X was on the ds/wii/ipad" when I ask about what she did with her family at the weekend:(

We had tantrums and tears here as I wouldn't let him go on the above devices every day and...(oh the horror!)....wanted him to actually play!!...and i'd regularly be told that what i'd planned was "rubbish/boring" which became v disheartening so I cut right back on his paperwork tbh and did more reflective planning.

I agree with Sarah...any small interest he showed in an activity I noted down and tried to expand on that for the following week and that was it really,the rest was spontaneous-at the end of the day if mum and dad are happy to let them be plugged in 24/7 we're fighting a losing battle but from what you've said he seems to enjoy his time with you so whatever you're doing keep it up!